Dispatches: Abuse On The Terraces

Si.

Just been on Channel 4 and will be available on 4OD no doubt. Unbelievable footage to be honest. I'm thankful that I have never heard this kind of abuse at VP apart from the times when we used to play Chelsea with La Saux or SHA with Upson and the homophobic chanting would start.

Your thoughts?

You weren't at the Villa v Leeds game in 2000 then? There was a horribly racist chant being sung by a large section of idiots that day.
That was horrendous. The single most shameful moment in our history, in my opinion. I'm sure there were worse "back in the day". But this wasn't back in the day, it was the 21st century.

FYI anyone that doesn't remember the chant was "I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk". And it wasn't just a handful of people, IMO it was thousands.

being sang by villa and leeds fans?

We do get our fair share of empty headed football fans and like another poster alluded, that is just society as a whole.

When I was younger, I had a friend who used to give me a season ticket for Everton vs. Villa at Goodison. His brother, would sit there all game racially abusing Kevin Campbell (the player that saved their league status one season). Eventually he got a ticket near the players tunnel and after the game gave him a gob full of racial slurs. Caught, jailed (multiple previous, goes with the nature) and banned. As far as I am aware though, he resumed going the game not too long after.

Just been on Channel 4 and will be available on 4OD no doubt. Unbelievable footage to be honest. I'm thankful that I have never heard this kind of abuse at VP apart from the times when we used to play Chelsea with La Saux or SHA with Upson and the homophobic chanting would start.

Your thoughts?

You weren't at the Villa v Leeds game in 2000 then? There was a horribly racist chant being sung by a large section of idiots that day.

That was horrendous. The single most shameful moment in our history, in my opinion. I'm sure there were worse "back in the day". But this wasn't back in the day, it was the 21st century.

FYI anyone that doesn't remember the chant was "I'd rather be a Paki than a Turk". And it wasn't just a handful of people, IMO it was thousands.

I'd rather be a bacteria than a big fat bald headed, racist, St George (The Turk) tattooed waste of oxygen.

Millwall away last year was pretty bad.  They were singing you all live in a town full of p....

Pretty uncomfortable for me to be honest and I went to leave soon after but was stopped from getting out of the ground by the stewards.

• Like 1

Your thoughts?

being sang by villa and leeds fans?

Yes.

Millwall away last year was pretty bad.  They were singing you all live in a town full of p....

Pretty uncomfortable for me to be honest and I went to leave soon after but was stopped from getting out of the ground by the stewards.

I didn't hear that but I did watch a bloke run down to the front of the stand to do monkey gestures behind N'Zogbia as he took a freekick. 

After that game was a disgrace though, locking us in and making us stand in the rain for about half an hour because Millwall fans can't control themselves. words removed. 

Routine being locked in ground after game at millwall. I know a couple of coaches of villa lads made the trip down and on my train their was a small group of 6 or 7 villa hooligans who were meeting up with the lads on the coaches. I was in a pub in london bridge with some villa fans and one of our lot knew this old millwall fan who had been in his fair share of trouble. He said every man and his dog were out for the villa game. He had his mate with him and it was the bloke who was caught on camera being racist to leeds players, it was shown on sky sports. By all accounts the villa lads had bitten off more than they could chew but got praised for turning up. Horrible horrible night that was. Did not get in until half 2.

Yeah I was at Millwall. The game was stopped for a bit because the Millwall fans started throwing bottles at N'Zogbia and I heard there was some racial abuse too although I didn't hear/see it myself.

Wouldn't have been quite so bad if we'd beaten the bastards.  At least we could have looked at them smugly through our prison cage.

It was a pretty woeful night all round. It was exceptionally freezing, our display on the pitch was one of the most hopeless that I've ever seen from a Villa team, I had to witness the Millwall fans leave the stadium with huge grins on their faces and then we were all kept behind for half an hour or so to cap it all off.

I actually spoke to a Millwall fan at one of the train stations after the game and mentioned being kept back and his exact words were "it's for your own protection". He said it in a way as if to suggest that it was just something to be accepted.

Edited by Mantis

Yeah I was at Millwall. The game was stopped for a bit because the Millwall fans started throwing bottles at N'Zogbia and I heard there was some racial abuse too although I didn't hear/see it myself.

you should have gone to their old ground............

horrific place, I remember going there 87/88 and 88/89.  Trips to the New Den are actually quite pleasant

• Like 1

Â