• Very Good
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Average
    • Good
    • Very Good

It felt like a turning point today.

When we're at the point when our so called strong point our front three are as toothless as that at the moment, I can't see where the wins will come from.

It's no coincidence that we are giving in to the pressure late on in away games; Everton and today just in recent weeks. We don't have a style of play that works, if we can't counter we have technically inept players clueless as what to do who have been sent out by a tactically inept manager.

Praying we stay up, and then I'd make a managerial change at the end of the season.

• Like 2

It's our front three that have been letting us down recently. Worrying as this tie last season they were saving us. Silly decision making has been a recent trend with them. We had plenty of opportunities to get a goal ... don't think you can blame the tactics as such. 

Decent first half, totally inept in the second, and we were completely under the cosh as soon as soon as Westwood and Bertrand came off. Insipid and uninspiring.

Any positives? Vlaar, Bacuna and Westwood all had decent games. Baker was alright too. That's about it. A point would have been a reasonable outcome but it's hard to say we deserved it (sorry Lambert). Newcastle were mostly shite themselves and we'd have put in a half decent performance for even 60-70 minutes we'd have won the game. As it is Norwich is looking like a big one.

• Like 1

What is that chap smoking?

"Miles better under Lambert than McLeish"

:wacko:

As somebody else said, the facts tell me a different story and my eyes do too, on a weekly basis. McLeish's reign was terrible and massively negative, but how on earth anyone can claim this pile of tripe is any better is completely beyond me.

It is precisely this attitude that brings me to the conclusion that we are finally sleep-walking towards the relegation trap-door. Last year, everybody thought we were going down but then around about February time (after the Millwall defeat) we turned the corner and actually finished the season very strongly. Can anyone foresee the same happening this season? With Chelsea, City and United in March? And with our main attacking threat looking as useful as a chocolate teapot?

Four points clear of relegation is absolutely nothing when your rivals are picking up points and you are in a worse position than when Alex **** McLeish was in charge. We're an absolute mess.

• Like 1

Lambert is a tactical genus.................for the opposition.

I don't rate any of our players bar Guzan however Westwood was doing a good job moping up in midfield and just when Newcastle needed a lift off he goes.

We were already starting to concede ground though but the panic really set in after Westwood went off. And a special mention for the 3 muppets up front you couldn't have done any less.

Lambert out, NOW!

I think you lot have forgotten how bad we were to be honest

Nope, far from it. We were bloody diabolical a lot of the time, but we still are now. The overall standard of performances this season has been terrible, and the negative approach often implemented by Lambert is nothing more than baffling considering the attacking football we often played the season before. Added to that, the statistics actually back up this viewpoint as we were doing better under McLeish at the same point in the season.

Therefore, you cannot say in any seriousness that "we are much better under Lamber than McLeish" - we simply aren't, however much you and the rest of the happy clappy brigade try and convince yourself. But I guess Lambert isn't an ex-nose and buys cheap, youngsters, so it goes unnoticed to some people...

I was at the game. First half we were the best team by a mile, not just when we had a dominant spell. Our midfield was compact, our forwards were direct, and we should really have scored. I was sat with the Newcastle fans and they all felt Weimann was our most dangerous player, I have to say his movement was pretty good. More than anything else, we mixed our play up quite alot, plenty of short passing and not afraid to be direct when we needed to be.

Second half was a totally different game. Pardew clearly told his players to get in our faces and we had no answer. I can't remember having a spell of any pressure in the second half, and there was only one team going to win it.

Overall we probably deserved a point, but its a really demoralising defeat, and with Norwich winning, we are now in big trouble. Our saving grace may be that Norwich have 4 tough games at the end of the season, so if they are not clear of the bottom, then I think they will finish 18th.

2 final observations -

1) After the goal, Guzan seemed to come out and have a real go at Delph, I'm not sure why?

2) Benteke walked off at the end without shaking hands with anyone or acknowledging the Villa fans. This may have just been because he was pissed off, but he was straight down the tunnel.

• Like 3

Context of the game: probably deserved a draw despite the shite we served up in the second half. Westwood going off was a big factor & both players who came on were poor - Sylla especially. Lord knows why so many fans around me at the game were calling for Albrighton to come on - that bright cameo against West Ham was very much a one off in my view.

Bigger picture: For the first time my patience is wearing thin with the manager. Our last 3 games should have returned a minimum of 5 points - we've taken 1. The decision to go 4-4-2 with Bennett & Albrighton wide at Cardiff was appalling - if we're ever to play that formation it simply has to be at home against the likes of West Ham who are going to turn up, defend their 18 yard line and just wait for us to concede possession. Team selection was probably spot on today but a combination of bad luck, shit decision making from our out of form front three & our one dimensional game-plan has cost us another result. 

Benteke went straight down the tunnel at the end without even looking in our direction, let alone acknowledging the support. I'd probably give Vlaar MOTM despite being done by Remy on a couple of occasions and the error when he was robbed by De Jong. Thought he was unfortunate to be booked for his first foul considering Tiote had twice escaped a yellow when hacking Gabby down earlier in the game.

The 2 poor subs is just papering over the cracks....Westwood &bertrand were clearly carrying knocks, so I understood the fact he had to use subs.

The big problem is....and has been for some considerable time is that we have a soft underbelly....and no manager has really addressed it.

Newcastle for me today was shocking, but nevertheless I expected us to get beat....unlucky, forget it, poor play.

The amount of ricochets that went to them was laughable, our positioning and movement off the ball looks like the team has never seen a coach.

We seem to wince our way through every physical encounter and this has an effect on the outcome of the ball....no intelligent running upfront that compliments the decent approach play.....it's all become so predictable.

This lot is a ----ing mess, and going absolutely nowhere.

I noticed that as well. Nearly everytime the ball deflected off someone or one of our players tackled and the ball would always go to a Newcastle player.  Even for the goal, De Jong has a shot that deflects off Baker and ends up with Remy scoring.  Its obviously not the reason we lost but it was strange.

2) Benteke walked off at the end without shaking hands with anyone or acknowledging the Villa fans. This may have just been because he was pissed off, but he was straight down the tunnel.

And should continue, if he turns left at the end then Belgium is only a couple of hundred miles, he should take Lambert with him (Holt can carry the bags)

Good first half, average second half, Newcastle not a walkover this season despite the recent shite run of form, Manager should have shaken things up a bit in the second, sylla, agreed would have been happier with clark, and Manager is not bothered about playing anyone out of place .. remember Bennets last starting position ?

Seriously why not bring on Albrighton in the second ? in fact with Benteke forced out of the game by 3on1 and not doing a lot apart from constantly holding his hands in the air even Holt for Benteke may have done something... if only to give Benteke something to think about, he constantly gripes about not getting the ball where and when he wants it yet fluffs a pass to Gabby which could have sealed it for us that Holts Mom would have made (I assume she is one of those who voted VG for Manager performance ?)

Would have been happy with a draw, but you can't buy happiness ... err actually Man City etc CAN so why cant we try it.. oh thats right our owner thinks the balls the wrong shape :(

Benteke can't even control a ball or make a good decision anymore, as it stands his position pretty much is simply FO, Flicker Onwarder as that all he seems to be able to do. Vlaar was immense aside from getting too confident and trying to overdo things, seems he wants to be a DM. The substitutions were baffling unless the players were injured. Don't understand how Albrighton doesnt get on makes absolutely no sense. Very depressing times.

Lambert doesn't seem to be able to inspire his players. His tactics are getting predictable and he keeps sticking to them despite when they fail. Ive supported lambert so many times but I'm doubting him now. I know our team can play well but they're so inconsistent - well either that or just utter shit. Were toothless. Utterly toothless.

Â