Michael Drennan

Villan4Life

That finish was nuts. Couldn't picture gabby, andi or weiman even hittin the target

With more time (like in league 2) they would.

Im not so sure, Gabby is an instinctive striker, with time he tends to go to pieces.

....usually, half time.lol

Seemed to do quite well at Pompey, surprised he hasn't gone out on loan.

We've got a few youth strikers knocking out here, Robinson who's obviously the closest to the first team and then Drennan, Graham and Burke. You'd think those three would go out on loan again shortly as they're all a long way off and probably won't make it here.

• 2 weeks later...

Gone to Portsmouth on a one month youth loan

Michael Drennan has returned to Fratton Park on an initial one-month loan deal from Aston Villa. 

The 20-year-old forward netted three goals during a 10-match spell with Pompey last season. 

That tally included a brace in the 4-1 triumph at Dagenham & Redbridge in April. 

Blues boss Andy Awford said: "Michael was with us last season, so knows how we work here. 

"He also knows where the back of the net is, so we're delighted to welcome him back to Pompey." 

Drennan – who has represented Republic of Ireland at the under-21 level – has yet to make his senior Villa debut, but did have a stint with Carlisle last term.

Link

Pompey have quite a few games in the next month, you would think if he has any chance of making it here he will need to be playing most of those and banging in some goals. If he does that he may manage to get a loan at a higher level next time round. He is 20 now, so it is now or never for him in my opinion.

I don't think he'll make it here, and he enjoyed it down at Pompey last time he was there, I still consider them a reasonably big club, I don't think he needs to do enough to stake a claim to get games here. I think he needs to play well enough to get a permanent transfer in January

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I never saw anything in him personally, not surprised we've let him go, young players never make it, do they? I've watched these players develop, it's sad to see them leave

We have 4 in squad that you would call regular  over last few seasons, another playing for team top of the league and another a regular for the league surprise package

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

sad story today from Ireland

The Shamrock Rovers forward, who came through the ranks at Aston Villa, has decided to take a step back from his playing career in order to get his life 'back on track'

Former Aston Villa youth striker Michael Drennan has announced that he is taking a break from football to deal with depression.

The 22-year-old has played eight games in the League of Ireland Premier Division with Shamrock Rovers this season, but has decided to put his career on hold to get his life 'back on track'.

Drennan revealed his decision in a lengthy Facebook post, where he thanked his fellow players and supporters for their support.

"I want to put this on Facebook to let people know what's going on and will be in the papers soon,” the Kilkenny native said.

"I'm taking time out of football because I'm not happy and I've been suffering with depression for the last 3 years and I thought I would have dealt with it better then but it's come to a point now where I need to leave and take a break.

"I just want to be happy because life is way too short, I need to be around people I love and get a job. I needed something to change and this is a very tough decision and one that I've put my whole life into and hoped to be successful in but it's not one I've made over 2 weeks.

"This has been on my mind a lot over the past few years but I said I would stick it out..it can't get any worse but it did and I haven't spoke to people about it as much as I should and I wanted to deal with it myself but it was the wrong decision.

"People will always look at me different saying, 'I'm a failure' and all that crap but it's the reason why I came home in the first place to play soccer here to see would it make me better which obviously it didn't.

"I just wanna come back and get the help I need to get back on track and would like to go back playing in League of Ireland at some stage if the chance came up.

"I want to thank everyone who has given their best to support me and make this difficult decision."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2884/irish-football/2016/05/19/23730272/drennan-takes-break-from-football-to-deal-with-depression

Hope he can get better and get back on the pitch in the future

Yeah I saw that.  Made me think of his reasons at the time for leaving Villa.  It was put down to homesickness which I suppose at the time it probably was, to some extent.  Hopefully he can get it sorted.

Â