what do you do for a living?!

donnie

How many of the sounds we hear are genuine?  I am of the understanding that almost everything is a sample. 

Not with us, there's usually match and room/ambient mics. Sometimes commentary is done off site in the UK when the gig's abroad.

Sky might egg it up a bit, couldn't tell you.

Documentaries and wildlife programs are often entirely fabricated sonically.

That's interesting. I took my assumption from here: 99% invisible, the sound of sport

It's a five minute radio show, totally worth listening to, where they interview a couple of guys who do sounds for outdoor broadcasts of sports.  They are mostly talking about larger sporting events where the camera can be zoomed in on events which are happening hundreds of meters away (think skiing, rowing, horse racing) where microphones are rendered useless. The BBC guy they talk to says they use a stock sample of a slowed down buffalo charge when they go to a wide shot of horse racing. 

Nah, we don't do any of that, most of what we do is live.

The sound guy should get the brief way before big gigs. He hires in exotic, shotgun (super directional) or radio mics and more channels or bodies if necessary.

If we're editing it into a package (not my department), then they can add graphics and stings, but I'm pretty sure no one is hitting cabbages with baseball bats. :)

• Like 1

I work as a correspondence editor. It's my first desk job. I wasted my 20s trying to be a rock star, went back to university, and spent three years after that working for touring bands (merchandising, set construction, some backline/drum tech work, driving, general utility work, etc., etc.). I don't know where the editing work will lead me, but it's building a professional skillset, I suppose. I write well, and it will give me some options moving forward. I would drop it all in a minute to play music professionally, but that's not bloody going to happen in Haifa, Israel.

I'm an SEO Copywriter for a company who sell bathroom stuff. I basically write the copy for the product pages on our website and fit keywords in there to boost our trust rating in Google and get more traffic. Another part of the job is linkbuilding through writing articles for all manner of home design blogs. I shoehorn hyperlinks in here and there that direct people to our website.

I get to be a little creative so I enjoy it well enough. Only been at it for three weeks mind you.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 2

Â