Birmingham City 0 - 6 Aston Villa

BackRowVilla

I'd be interested to know if anyone else can remember this "friendly" game back in 1996 (I think.) at St. Andrews? It was John Frain's testimonial match.

I remember it being a night game and we hammered them from start to finish. I think I'm right in saying it was 6 nil? I'm sure at some stage even Brian Little, the then Villa manager, got on the pitch and played.

I will also never forget the sight of Villa fans ripping up the old wooden benches in the back of Railway Stand and passing them over the heads of fellow fans to the stewards at the front. BCFC's response was to make a tannoy announcement to all Villa fans to please behave and to remind us that this was only a friendly, testimonial match. I think the stewards also let a load of City's firm into the Villa end towards the end of the game and it kicking off a bit?

Anyway, was a great game!

Would be interested if anyone else as any memories of this game and also if anyone knows more of the match details like lineups, goal scorers, attendance etc.

Cheers! 

I do. I remember draper getting a few. We beat the scum 6 nil being sung around town for our Coca Cola cup winning ceremony

That's right!

I remember it well. David Sullivan said that the result (all be it a friendly) was one of the reasons he sacked Barry Fry.

I'm pretty sure even Brian Little came on as a sub and gave them the run around.

and Allan Evans too?

Seems to be very much a "forgotten match". Asked lots of my Villa mates about it and none of them seem to remember it. Nothing much on the internet either. 

DON'T mention Aston Villa to John Frain.

The former Blues full-back racked up nearly 350 appearances for the St Andrew's club, but his memories against the old enemy are not pleasant.

His first two appearances against the boys from B6 saw Villa romp to a 5-0 win in the League Cup, and that was followed weeks later by a 6-0 thrashing in the long-forgotten Simod Cup.

His final outing was for his end-of-season testimonial when Villa cruised to a 6-0 win. But the sight of Villa's then management team of Brian Little and Allan Evans playing keep-ball in the second half proved to be the final nail in Barry Fry's coffin and the bubbly boss was dismissed days later.

I know we called Ridgewell an agent. But this fella my word!!

Also think you should ask Craig Cardner for details on this game, he was a mascot for them.

And here's the interview he gave with my colleague Colin Tattum last week.

"Having played for the Villa everyone thinks I'm a Villa fan but I'm a Bluenose,''

''I have been all my life. I was a mascot at John Frain's testimonial. "But I don't have to prove anything to anyone. People who know me, my close friends and family, they all know I'm a Blues fan. "As they say: 'once a blue, always a blue'."

Edited by SikhInTrinity
  • Like 1

I found the lineup for this game on a scrap of paper last week! I'll go and dig it out, back in a bit. 

EDIT: Oh poo, I must have put it "somewhere safe". It'll turn up. 

What I do remember was that Small Heath fielded close to their strongest team, and Villa were basically Little, Gregory and Evans plus the youth team - and we tonked them. 

Edited by mjmooney

I was at that game and sat in the Tilton with my mate from school who was on the books with sha at the time . It was a quid in and Mark Draper scored a couple of pearlers IIRC. We also met Gareth Southgate before the game as he walked from the car park to the ground. I asked him if he was worried about his car being bricked and he just laughed and said he didn't care as it was a club car. It was hard to not celebrate every goal but I didn't feel afraid at the time either which was strange.

Edited by Brumerican

• 6 months later...

Bumped. I found it! 

Wasn't quite as I remembered it, most of the first team played (and no Gregory). According to my notes the team was as follows (2nd half substitutions in brackets): 

Bosnich (Oakes)

Wright

Southgate

Evans (Lescott) 

Ehiogu

Murray

Draper (Middleton) 

Townsend

Milosevic

Little (Hendrie)

Yorke (Joachim) 

Couple of names I don't remember there. Murray? Middleton? 

Scott Murray maybe? I think he was a gut we bought down from Scotland, and went on to have a career in the lower leagues with Bristol City I think.

Middleton though I have no idea on.

Yes i went to it!! Lee Hendrie scored twice and i think brian little scored twice as himself and Allan Evans played

Bumped. I found it! 

Wasn't quite as I remembered it, most of the first team played (and no Gregory). According to my notes the team was as follows (2nd half substitutions in brackets): 

Bosnich (Oakes)

Wright

Southgate

Evans (Lescott) 

Ehiogu

Murray

Draper (Middleton) 

Townsend

Milosevic

Little (Hendrie)

Yorke (Joachim) 

Couple of names I don't remember there. Murray? Middleton? 

Edited by Villan4Life

Â