Kiev Burning

maqroll

I can't see what the West can do if Russia decide to step in and take it.

Nothing at all. Whatever the west might be prepared to do, the Russians will go one further. Ukraine is their near abroad and a potentially existential threat if in the 'wrong' hands - like NATO.  It's not that important to the west, therefore they'll get thrown under the bus of realpolitik if the Russians decide to up the ante.

I can't see what the West can do if Russia decide to step in and take it.

Nothing at all. Whatever the west might be prepared to do, the Russians will go one further. Ukraine is their near abroad and a potentially existential threat if in the 'wrong' hands - like NATO.  It's not that important to the west, therefore they'll get thrown under the bus of realpolitik if the Russians decide to up the ante.

I definitely think that with the Russian fleet being in Sevastopol they are as likely to give up the Crimea as the Americans are to give back the Philippines. 

Not sure if I'm being WAH'ed, but the USN pulled out of Subic Bay in Phil' a long time ago.

Uniformed armed men with Anti Tank weapons (who the locals said looked like Russian Paras) have taken control of government buildings in the Crimea, withRussian naval infantry are roaming around the area in columns of armoured BTR-80's.

May have been a hasty by saying Putin wouldn't be THAT stupid...

Kiev reporting that Russian forces have seized the airports in Crimea - source is BBC radio. Looks like Putin is indeed planning to annex a part of Ukraine. Wonder what the local military will do?

Stunned by this, really. It's Cold War maneuvering all over again. What's the end game there, a split, like Sudan? Does the West just let Putin roll into Kiev now? What western leader is going to want to actually propose armed engagement with the Russians over this? He saw how the west flinched on Syria, so he thinks he can get away with this and maybe more. 

I thought the word was that the Russian army would struggle to penetrate Katie Price ?

Never underestimate numbers and a lack of respect for human life, im sure the russian military can pull out some havok if they want too. Dont see europe beeing able to handel them easily if it came too it, which im sure it wont !

It's ok lads panic over , William Hague is on his way out there

He's obliged to, the UK is one of the signatories to an agreement guaranteeing the territorial integrity of Ukraine.

From wiki:

Budapest Memorandum on Security Assurances is an international treaty signed on February, 5, 1994, in Budapest by Ukraine, the United States of America, Russia, and the United Kingdom concerning the nuclear disarmament of Ukraine and its security relationship with the signatory countries. According to the memorandum, Russia, the USA, and the UK confirmed, in recognition of Ukraine becoming party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons and in effect abandoning its nuclear arsenal to Russia, that they would:

1. Respect Ukrainian independence and sovereignty within its existing borders.
  2. Refrain from the threat or use of force against Ukraine.
  3. Refrain from using economic pressure on Ukraine in order to influence its politics.
  4. Seek United Nations Security Council action if nuclear weapons are used against Ukraine.
  5. Refrain from the use of nuclear arms against Ukraine.
  6. Consult with one another if questions arise regarding these commitments.

It would appear Putin has decided to tear this up...

Â