Kiev Burning

maqroll

Opposition have taken control of Kiev. Armed forces vanished along with the President overnight.

Dafuq.

And the police are supposed to have switched sides as well now. I really think this is moving to a full on civil war. 

Yeah, apparently one region's council has declared constitutional control i.e. the country is becoming more divided. No surprise given the demographics of the place but that is as ominous as it gets.

I think quite a few regional leaders in the east are "taking control" until "the situation calms down". It's going to get worse before it gets better. 

Sarcasm: 

1. mocking, contemptuous, or ironic language intended to convey scorn or insult

Yeah, but the "Thanks Obama" thing doesn't really play on a board which is 90% British. It feels like you are trying to crowbar it in. 

• Like 1

Reports (Reuters) stating that the president tried to flee to Russia and is now in eastern Ukraine.  

President: events a coup and are illegal

Opposition leader: Dictatorship has fallen

Hopefully this is the start of the long road to recovery but I fear for what is to come.  

Edited by trekka

Well, Tymoshenko is out of jail so I guess she might get another go (would that be her third or fourth?).

I'm not quite sure what they'd be recovering to: a country under the control of leaders a little less corrupt than the previous lot perhaps?

They'll turn off the gas again, just to see how much the Ukraine likes western Europe when they are cold and unable to cook. 

Edited by The_Rev

Ukraine is very much of interest to the US. Geopolitics innit.

Well yes, it is. Should Putin decide to restore the "rightful" President by repeating his recent invasion of Georgia, will the EU send it's half dozen remaining tanks to support Ukrainian independence, or will every one squeal for the Americans to protect them?  It is a rhetorical question by the way.

Hopefully Tsar Vlad will not be that daft but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility entirely.

I reckon they should just slug it out in a boxing ring, Vitali Klitschko vs the rest (one on one of course).

One after the other or does he get a rest between punches?

By the 4th or 5th challenger he'd have bored them into submission anyway.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

So what happens if / when all this turmoil eventually leads to a fresh general election - and it (possibly) transpires that all those east Ukraine votes keep the current pro Russian stance?

I guess the West accepts that's democracy at work?

Â