Kiev Burning

maqroll

Kiev got utterly bummed in world war two.  

Not to mention the atrocities committed before the war and after the war.

In fact there aren't many populations that have suffered like the Ukrainians have over the last 100 years.

Yet Holodomor hardly gets a mention (even comes up as a spelling error in Firefox!)

US president accuses his Russian counterpart of failing to respect people’s basic freedoms in both Ukraine and Syria

How about Israel failing to respect Palestinians basic freedoms? Has Obama come out and accused the Israeli president?

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

US president accuses his Russian counterpart of failing to respect people’s basic freedoms in both Ukraine and Syria

How about Israel failing to respect Palestinians basic freedoms? Has Obama come out and accused the Israeli president?

True, but doesn't make him less right in this case.

Two wrongs don't make a right, or something.

Kiev is a war zone. The government does not care about their people's safety anymore (if they ever did). I don't see this being resolved any time soon. There was a temporary truce between the government and its people, but it was the Ukrainian government that broke it. This situation is a major issue which leaves a lot of nations in difficult situation. I am sure Obama knows exactly what is going on but he cannot exactly intervene without causing a war with Ukraine and potentially aggravating Russia. The best bet at this point is to hope the Ukrainian people can successfully reclaim their nation (doubt it), but if they cannot, I can see other nations intervening but it will be after thousands of citizens have died. Very bad situation to say the least. 

There is an absolutely fantastic piece of journalism from Swedens most famous football journalist in our biggest paper today. Erik Niva. It tells the story that apparently the Ultras of Shaktar Donetsk got in to this protest not because they agreed with the politics but they hated to see ukranian brothers and sisters beaten on the streets. It spread to the other teams in the eastern Soviet friendly parts and they have join the Shaktar fans.

Jesus there's some depressing shit on the news. Snipers shooting their own people.

That would never happen in the USA

D'oh!

There is an absolutely fantastic piece of journalism from Swedens most famous football journalist in our biggest paper today. Erik Niva. It tells the story that apparently the Ultras of Shaktar Donetsk got in to this protest not because they agreed with the politics but they hated to see ukranian brothers and sisters beaten on the streets. It spread to the other teams in the eastern Soviet friendly parts and they have join the Shaktar fans.

Is there a link to that in English anywhere? It does sound an interesting read. 

Not that I know of. If you feel brave you can run it through google translate I guess

http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/bankoniva/2014/01/no-one-would-riot-for-less/

Not that I know of. If you feel brave you can run it through google translate I guess

http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/bankoniva/2014/01/no-one-would-riot-for-less/

Thanks, but as interesting as it looks, trying to read googles horrible translation is just painful! 

Yanukovych has fled Kiev and protesters have moved into his presidential palace. 

Sounds like he will get the Ceaușescu treatment if he tries to return. 

I worry that he's gone to raise an army, in Russia or the east, and will return to bring full on civil war.

Â