Thailand

Stevo985

Itinerary is complete.

We arrive in Bangkok on the Sunday morning. We're spending 3 nights there, staying at Poste 43 Residence.

Then we're off to Koh Samui on the Wednesday until the Saturday, Staying at a place on Chaweng beach.

Koh Phangan on the Saturday for Full Moon and World Cup Final. Staying at "Milky Bay".

Koh Tao on the Tuesday, staying at "View Point" Resort.

Then back to Samui for a night on the Friday.

Flying back to bangkok on the Saturday for a night.

Then home on Sunday.

Lovely stuff.

Cheers for all the help guys, I'll still be pestering you for stuff to do between now and then.

And on that note, it's my gf's birthday on the Monday we're in Bangkok. So on the night I'm going to take her for a meal and drinks. For drinks I'm going to take her to the Moon Bar on top of the Banyan Tree Hotel. Probably not going to eat there though as I think it's REALLY expensive (but I can't find a menu to confirm or anywhere I can book a table)

So do any of you Bangkok pros know any decent restaurants around that area? Ideally within walking distance of the Banyan Tree so that we can stroll there for drinks after the meal.

Found this place which looks great and is just down the road. But open to suggestions as again, that's quite pricey.

How about mixing it up then: drinks on a roof top bar and dinner down by the river?

I've heard a place called Wave is decent. I don't know how far it is from where you'll be staying, but if it's not too far then just get a cab. You don't want to be going too far across the city because the traffic in BK can be horrendous. If it's only a few miles from the Banyan Tree then it could be worth a try.

I've never been to Wave, btw, so I take no responsibility if it's shit ;)

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Itinerary is complete.

We arrive in Bangkok on the Sunday morning. We're spending 3 nights there, staying at Poste 43 Residence.

Then we're off to Koh Samui on the Wednesday until the Saturday, Staying at a place on Chaweng beach.

Koh Phangan on the Saturday for Full Moon and World Cup Final. Staying at "Milky Bay".

Koh Tao on the Tuesday, staying at "View Point" Resort.

Then back to Samui for a night on the Friday.

Flying back to bangkok on the Saturday for a night.

Then home on Sunday.

Lovely stuff.

Cheers for all the help guys, I'll still be pestering you for stuff to do between now and then.

And on that note, it's my gf's birthday on the Monday we're in Bangkok. So on the night I'm going to take her for a meal and drinks. For drinks I'm going to take her to the Moon Bar on top of the Banyan Tree Hotel. Probably not going to eat there though as I think it's REALLY expensive (but I can't find a menu to confirm or anywhere I can book a table)

So do any of you Bangkok pros know any decent restaurants around that area? Ideally within walking distance of the Banyan Tree so that we can stroll there for drinks after the meal.

Found this place which looks great and is just down the road. But open to suggestions as again, that's quite pricey.

Eat at the Banyan Tree. As long as the weather is good its outstanding. We had 2 nights there at the end of our honeymoon - its a fabulous hotel and restuarant.  

Well we're definitely having a drink there. I'm just worried about the price of food. I know I'm treating her but still. Every review I've seen says it's good but the food costs an absolute bomb.

Check out the loynava dinner cruise - worked out at 2000BHT or something pp but the food was incredible. www.loynava.com - does take up pretty much most the evening, we got picked up at 5.30 and dropped back at 11- too stuffed to do anything else after

My mate is currently there with his missus, in Samui. He was never enthralled about going but his missus really wanted to go. He keeps Whatsapping me telling me how amazing it is and how he is definitely going back. Says its one of the best places he's ever been. He's not one to go overboard and has been to over 50 countries (including most of Central and South America).  :)

I know he is an annoying little runt but tom daley has a new backpacking show on itv. Watched it online and the first one he goes to thailand. Goes to koh samui, koh phanghan for the full moon and bangkok. It was quite intresting considering I cant stand him.

• 4 weeks later...

I know he is an annoying little runt but tom daley has a new backpacking show on itv. Watched it online and the first one he goes to thailand. Goes to koh samui, koh phanghan for the full moon and bangkok. It was quite intresting considering I cant stand him.

I watched this.

It was nice to see some of the country, but what a shit programme!

They didn't show nearly enough of the country for my liking. They seemed to be more interested in Tom and his friend's "banter", of which there was none.

Worth a watch if, like me, he goes somewhere you're interested in. But definitely not worth a watch otherwise!

• 2 weeks later...

Lads,

talk to me about this political shit in Thailand. You reckon it's likely to escalate further?
Can't say I'm not worried seeing as it's little over 6 weeks until I head there.

Apparently there's a curfew in bangkok of 10pm. And the US have warned tourists against travelling there

:(

Lads,

talk to me about this political shit in Thailand. You reckon it's likely to escalate further?

Can't say I'm not worried seeing as it's little over 6 weeks until I head there.

Apparently there's a curfew in bangkok of 10pm. And the US have warned tourists against travelling there

I was there when the rioting was all over the news back in March, people getting killed etc, we didn't see a single bit of trouble. I'd wager that they'll do everything possible to keep the tourist industry ticking over, but double check with the FCO.

My mate is currently there with his missus, in Samui. He was never enthralled about going but his missus really wanted to go. He keeps Whatsapping me telling me how amazing it is and how he is definitely going back. Says its one of the best places he's ever been. He's not one to go overboard and has been to over 50 countries (including most of Central and South America).  :)

Out of interest, where in Koh Samui is he? I went, and it was a shit hole. As far from as idyllic Thailand as conceivably possible. All the more strange given the places hes been in Central America.

Lads,

The 10pm curfew will suck because it means the full moon party is cancelled and all other big events and nightlife in general although you just reschedule around it like go for meals earlier, go to the bar earlier, get up earlier and you can still drink in the hotels after 10pm, but doubt by the time you get to thailand it will be in force anyway

Your be fine, if anything the military coup has meant it has stopped the rival protests in bangkok which has seen several deaths (although no tourists have been harmed) amongst the rival protesters. In koh samui id doubt you'll even see a soldier although I know the curfew is in force there. Follow richard barrow on twitter to get all the info on the goings on.

I think the curfew is only in Bangkok (at the moment) so I think the FMP will be ok.

That would be really really shit if it applied all over Thailand.

Have many people been to a full moon party? I've heard they are good but rife with pickpockets and con artists (watered down drinks etc).

Stevo you'll have to post your thoughts on the whole experience upon return, hopefully this political storm stops prior to you being there.

Lads,

The 10pm curfew will suck because it means the full moon party is cancelled and all other big events and nightlife in general although you just reschedule around it like go for meals earlier, go to the bar earlier, get up earlier and you can still drink in the hotels after 10pm, but doubt by the time you get to thailand it will be in force anyway.

Your be fine, if anything the military coup has meant it has stopped the rival protests in bangkok which has seen several deaths (although no tourists have been harmed) amongst the rival protesters. The majority of the thai people are in support of the miltary coup. If it does escalate id doubt your even notice as most of the protests were in the non toursity areas of bangkok and its not exactly syria we are talking about. In koh samui id doubt you'll even see a soldier although I know the curfew is in force there. Follow richard barrow on twitter to get all the info on the goings on.

Anyway your 'white middle class' as one said on off topic so why should you care :P

I think the curfew is only in Bangkok (at the moment) so I think the FMP will be ok.

Nah 100% it applies across thailand. Phucket, chaing mai , koh damui etc everything closed at 10pm last night. Source friends and richard barrow on twitter.

Have many people been to a full moon party? I've heard they are good but rife with pickpockets and con artists (watered down drinks etc).

Stevo you'll have to post your thoughts on the whole experience upon return, hopefully this political storm stops prior to you being there.

Will do.

Fingers firmly crossed that it's over.

FMP just looks like a massive piss up/party. I imagine there will be pick pockets and watered down drinks, but I think you'd find that anywhere you'd go to an event like that.

I'm hoping the rumours of the world cup final on big screens on the beach after the FMP are true. That'll be cool!

Nah 100% it applies across thailand. Phucket, chaing mai , koh damui etc everything closed at 10pm last night. Source friends and richard barrow on twitter.

shiiiiiiiiiiiit

Â