Thailand

Stevo985

my mate wants to do a two week stag in thailand, i dont think i can afford it but he seems to think we can do hotel and flights in january for about £750 is that about right would you say? how much do people think on average you need for thailand including sedning money on average?

Possible in 2 weeks but depends on your schedule and what standard of accommodation you want. 

My friend has just got back from Bangkok and said it seemed okay over there except the protests are causing havoc on the traffic. 3 hours to the airport instead of an hour. Also the main backpacking road,khao san road, is blocked off which is a bit gutting as my hotel was booked there. Im gonna spend only one day and night in bangkok now just to be safe.

Khao San road being blocked off is a blessing in disguise! Full of blokes with chang vests and dreadlocks and women with braids and henna tattoos! All travelling to 'find themselves' but never venturing too far from a starbucks or a wifi connection!  :)  

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

This thread just caught my eye again...what itinerary did you go for in the end stevo??

Was reading today that the curfew has now been lifted in bangkok, most of the protests have finished and all is okay again in bangkok.

Edited by donnie

This thread just caught my eye again...what itinerary did you go for in the end stevo??

Was reading today that the curfew has now been lifted in bangkok, most of the protests have finished and all is okay again in bangkok.

Still haven't booked it, but I think we're settle on a plan.

We're keeping it to just Thailand. Visiting another country around there would be great, but my recent purchase of a new car and another stag do being added to my calendar (in Portugal) means I should probably rein in the finances a bit.

So we're flying to Bangkok on the Friday night /saturday, staying there for a few days, probably until Wedenesday. Then we'll fly to Koh Samui (or rather to the mainland nearest and get a ferry) and spend the next 10 days there, Koh phangan and koh tao, then fly back to Bangkok for a night and head home.

We're only going to book the 2 flights (returns) and the first/last night's accommodation and then play the rest by ear.

Ferries around those 3 islands and the mainland seem really good so we'll just decide when we're bored of one island and leave.

Even thought about getting the ferry and a bus back to Bangkok from Koh Tao because it's so cheap, but it takes all day, so can't be arsed with that.

Think we're flying with Qatar

Emirates were having a sale so we booked with them today. £500 return. Not bad.

Booked our flights to Surat Thani. Doubled in price when you pay the taxes and extra baggage that we'd need plus add in the ferry to koh Samui, so cost about £100 each for those.

Thing we're having trouble with is accommodation on Koh Phanang around full moon.

Its **** expensive (relatively speaking) and everywhere insists on a minimum of 3 nights stay.

Now my solution would be, let's just not go there (especially as the full moon party is the night of the **** world cup final) but the gf is insistent.

Anyone got any experience?

Booked our flights to Surat Thani. Doubled in price when you pay the taxes and extra baggage that we'd need plus add in the ferry to koh Samui, so cost about £100 each for those.

Thing we're having trouble with is accommodation on Koh Phanang around full moon.

Its **** expensive (relatively speaking) and everywhere insists on a minimum of 3 nights stay.

Now my solution would be, let's just not go there (especially as the full moon party is the night of the **** world cup final) but the gf is insistent.

I dont know about koh phanang but your flights to surat thani seem expensive?? I payed around £125 in for my flights to koh samui from bangkok when i go easter with bangkok airways. Only takes 55 minutes. Rather then spending extra time catching a boat (i think i read the whole thing from bangkok to surat thani to koh samui takes 4 hours ??) id consider paying the extra £25 and save 6 hours total if your flights are refundable. £500 return flights are really good price. Guess your changing at dubai.

I looked at the full moon party thing but cant imagine id enjoy it with just my gf so not gonna bother. Clubbing/partying with a gf is the worst thing ever in my experience. Koh phangan is meant to be really beautiful though so 3 nights there wont be too bad.

Flights to Surat Thani were 45 quid return on their own. But once you add in extra baggage both ways (you only get 15kg standard) and £10 for the ferry each way, it adds up.

Direct to Samui return were 180.

I guess you're looking at places in the Haad Rin area of Koh Phangan? The alternative is to stay in another part of the island and get a tuk tuk to the FMP and back again.

We stayed in a resort in Haad Yao because they were accepting single night bookings. The only problem was that it was a 30 minute or so journey back down to Haad Rin. It wasn't a massive issue; just be aware that there are rigid prices for tuk tuks on that island and they're more expensive than what you'd usually pay.

Some people get the ferry there, do the FMP, and then get the first ferry in the morning back to Samui.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

We were considering both those options. Found a place about half an hour from the FMP (can't remember the place name, begins with B I think) but we were worried about how easy it would be to get there and back. Few forums suggested it wasn't easy and some taxis refused to do the journey. Dunno how true that is.

Considered the ferry too from Samui. The all nighter wouldnt bother me. Especially as I'm hoping somewhere would be showing the world cup and I'll be on until like 5 in the morning!

What we found is that the tuk tuk driver was willing to go to Haad Yao, but he wanted a full tuk tuk of people.

We had to wait until he could find other passengers going to that part of the island. I think we waited about half hour.

It's not a free for all though, there's some coordination - it's like a taxi rank system with each tuk tuk going to a different part of the island. Iirc there were 'stewards' directing people to the correct tuk tuk.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

I'm sure we'd be ok if we booked this place we were looking at. I'm just wary of booking somewhere and then turning up and not being able to get to the FMP which is kind of the reason we're going there (I say kind of, 3 days on that island will still be brilliant, I'm sure)

Our other plan was to just make our way to the FMP place during the day when it's less busy and then hanging around there all day.

I'm sure we'll work it out. Like I said I'd be more than happy to knock the FMP on the head but the gf has her heart set on it.

I reckon you should identify a hotel that you'd like to stay in, email through and explain that you'd be interested in staying there, but it's important that they can organise transport for you to the FMP.

Afterwards you'll have to do what we did. It worked out okay and we stayed on the opposite end of the island to Haad Rin. It was probably about as far as you could get from the FMP.

• Like 1

Good idea, thanks.

I think the hotel we were looking at was in Ban Tai, which really doesn't look that far on a map, few km up the coast so I think we should be fine.

Cheers for the tips

Great airline, very good price. Well done fella!

Advice on the FMP - just say no to drugs! 

I'm sure we'd be ok if we booked this place we were looking at. I'm just wary of booking somewhere and then turning up and not being able to get to the FMP which is kind of the reason we're going there (I say 

Its Thailand - money talks! Someone will be willing to take you to Haad Rin, be it a taxi, tuk tuk or shuttle bus

I'm off to Thailand tonight. I booked it last minute on Saturday.

Enjoy, you jammy b...

Â