Opinions on season so far (no replies to any posts)

foreveryoung

Baffling

We have progressed over last season taken as a whole, but this is mainly down to the defence.

We are certainly regressed in attack, whilst the midfielder issues have not moved a jot.

How the team that finished last season have become the dullards we now see is beyond me.

With 2 exceptions (Vlaar, Delph) the squad has underperformed this season. And so has the management.

shit to be quite frank. shit football, terrible performances and shocking home form again. probably wont go down although its not a definite we wont, just no ambition and a horrible vibe around villa park again. I think the fans have showed a lot of patience this season and have turned up home and away in good numbers. things have got to improve massively next season on all levels

In short, a mixed bag.

The team looks stronger in the sense that we have managed to save points from losing positions when Villa sides of old might have crumbled. On that token, many players suffer from a crisis of confidence and that is evident in a lack of form in some.

Lambert tried to address weak areas of the squad but injuries and adjusting to a new league caused him to loan Bertrand in January (who is an excellent addition). Kozak looked a good backup option and his goals got us some important points.

Lambert did try to address the experience and creative issues in the last transfer window but it fell short as that period is always problematic when on a reduced budget.

We look defensively solid at times and greatly benefit from the experience of Vlaar. Having Okore back soon will be a big boost.

Players who have stepped us this season: Clark, Delph, Guzan, Vlaar and a fully fit Benteke

Players who have underperformed: Lowton, Agbonlahor, Westwood, an unfit Benteke

Yes, we've certainly been on the wrong end of bad decisions (against Liverpool and Chelsea) but the team still manage to hit the self-destruct button (against West Ham).

Home form has been a problem for years but our away record is pretty good. Some games we look fantastic and others we look distinctly average.

I am confident of a improved finish from last year despite the noted injury problems. More of the bomb squad will be gone in the summer and it'll be a chance to get in some needed experience and the long sought after creative player.

We are a good side but are we are own worst enemy at times.

every time we've survived these past 3-4 years i've though right the owner and manager knows what needs to be done now to kick on and then were always in the same position a year later.

That is probably the biggest worry and frustration of all.....

......it starts to breed thoughts in your head, like.....are they taking the piss.

Slightly disappointed, thought we'd be comfortable top half after the end to last season. Home form is a let down. Still think we will win a few before the end of the season and don't see us in any danger. We haven't had a lot of luck with injuries this year. When the attacking form clicks we are a decent side. Think there is a decent chance we will tonk someone a la Sunderland last season before the end of this one. 

It seems there is just simply nothing going on in anyones head (that matters) at Villa.

( they should have put them in charge of the floods, then one would have expected much) Cameron was slow there.

• There is no confidence that with more money, better players will be signed
  • If we got rid of Lambert, there is no indication anyone better would come in
  • I have never heard Lambert make any comment on his team selection ...good or bad

ITS ALL "IT IS WHAT IT IS".....I guess I will have to remember that when I come to part with my money again......why havn't you renewed?......well. "IT IS WHAT IT IS"

Edited by TRO

In short, a mixed bag.

The team looks stronger in the sense that we have managed to save points from losing positions when Villa sides of old might have crumbled. On that token, many players suffer from a crisis of confidence and that is evident in a lack of form in some.

Lambert tried to address weak areas of the squad but injuries and adjusting to a new league caused him to loan Bertrand in January (who is an excellent addition). Kozak looked a good backup option and his goals got us some important points.

Lambert did try to address the experience and creative issues in the last transfer window but it fell short as that period is always problematic when on a reduced budget.

We look defensively solid at times and greatly benefit from the experience of Vlaar. Having Okore back soon will be a big boost.

Players who have stepped us this season: Clark, Delph, Guzan, Vlaar and a fully fit Benteke

Players who have underperformed: Lowton, Agbonlahor, Westwood, an unfit Benteke

Yes, we've certainly been on the wrong end of bad decisions (against Liverpool and Chelsea) but the team still manage to hit the self-destruct button (against West Ham).

Home form has been a problem for years but our away record is pretty good. Some games we look fantastic and others we look distinctly average.

I am confident of a improved finish from last year despite the noted injury problems. More of the bomb squad will be gone in the summer and it'll be a chance to get in some needed experience and the long sought after creative player.

We are a good side but are we are own worst enemy at times.

I think that is a very courteous and benevolent post...that has a few contradictions.

However, I would have loved to have been able to write it.

The most frustrating thing for me is how many times I've thought "that was promising" after a match or a decent second half performance; but as of yet we've been unable to deliver on that promise and build some momentum. I always thought we'd be safe and unspectacular this season though, which I still maintain and it's next season I'd be looking to see a really noticeable increase in quality. The home form is atrocious though and Lambert absolutely must sort it out if we are to pull away from the bottom and towards the Southamptons and Newcastles of the league next year.

People say it doesn't matter that Lerner doesn't show up but I beg to differ. The disinterest shown from the very top affects the culture throughout the club.

You know like when your boss at work say doesn't speak to you for a few weeks you begin to feel disillusioned and disengaged . I'd imagine this is how many of the staff and players at villa feel.

There is no direction, no mission statement, no values to work with. It's an aimless ship .

I go to the VP in the hope that:

1. I will be entertained

2. See some good football played by AVFC

3. We will get a result

Edit and

4. I can support my team - however it's all one way and the love isn't returned!

The reality is that none of these have happened very often this season (or in any of the last three) but we still pay through the nose for the lack of pleasure

I know some go to see mates, have a piss up or a combination of both but ultimately you could do the same at the local pub and have more money to spend on beer and avoid all the angst and boredom!

Edited by MikeMcKenna

I go to the VP in the hope that:

1. I will be entertained

2. See some good football played by AVFC

3. We will get a result

Edit and

4. I can support my team - however it's all one way and the love isn't returned!

The reality is that none of these have happened very often this season (or in any of the last three) but we still pay through the nose for the lack of pleasure

I know some go to see mates, have a piss up or a combination of both but ultimately you could do the same at the local pub and have more money to spend on beer and avoid all the angst and boredom!

This all day long Mike, it seems this bit is largely ignored and its better just to stare at the league table, snore.

Dreadful and turgid. Even less enjoyable than last season. I'd file it away as best forgotten or dogshit.

one thing I like about your posts you don't "stand on ceremony" (or make an effort to cheer yourself or anyone else up)....just say it like it really is.

Its been awful regardless of where we sat in the league for a while.

There's been minimal progress and by the end if the year I think it will be even less. Lambert lost no key players and had some money to spend during the summer.

We're on course to finish with a similar amount of points as last year and looking likely to break a club record number of home defeats.

Â