Who is the One Player You Wish Had Played For Villa

maqroll

How about Teddy Sherringham?  Graham Taylor went and bought Tony Cascarino from Millwall when we were going for the title in 89/90 I think and if we had instead signed his strike partner, who went on to be a Champions League winner, things could have been very different.......

The story goes that it was actually Sherringham we were after and Milwall said no but you can have Cascarino so as usual we did the stupidest thing ever and said yes. Getting bent over and spanked by a club like Milwall...

• Like 1

Dennis Bergkamp (pure fantasy)

We spoke with Dennis Bergkamp.  He said no, obviously, but it's not like he was completely out of our league back then. 

Another player we spoke with but didn't get is my answer, and that would be Gazza.  He would have been brilliant for us in 95/96. 

The post above about John Charles is great too. They had a testimonial for him before he died, the stadium was full and probably 99% of the fans in the stadium would have never ever seen him play. He's still a god in Turin to this day. How many players is that true of? 60 years on. Incredible.

A great story about John Charles I like is that Juventus fans voted him their best overseas player of the 20th century.  The poll was in 1997, so the people who voted in it at the time would have all been  around to see Michel Platini win three Ballon d'Or awards in a Juventus shirt.   Still they said John Charles was better.  

Bobby Charlton once said when picking a world XI the hardest choice he would have to make would be whether to put John Charles in the team at centre forward or centre half. World class in two positions. Amazing stuff. 

Edited by The_Rev
  • Like 2

Stefan Effenberg, so he could have completed the holy trinity of 'Gladbach, Fiorentina and Villa.  So far, the only way it'll ever happen is if Michael Bradley gets a move to Fiorentina or we sign Marvin Compper.  :(

One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Yohan Cabaye who was apparently lined up to join us before Houllier left. Exactly the kind of player we are crying out for right now

There' a story that Cabaye would have joined us if Houllier had stayed. And, to be fair, it's based on something Cabaye himself said.

Only problem is a tricky little fact: Cabaye announced he was going to Newcastle (and so I guess had been in negotiation with them a little while before that) before it was announced that Houllier was leaving Villa. 

How about Teddy Sherringham?  Graham Taylor went and bought Tony Cascarino from Millwall when we were going for the title in 89/90 I think and if we had instead signed his strike partner, who went on to be a Champions League winner, things could have been very different.......

The story goes that it was actually Sherringham we were after and Milwall said no but you can have Cascarino so as usual we did the stupidest thing ever and said yes. Getting bent over and spanked by a club like Milwall...

not sure how true but I read that Cascarino was signed as we had an extra million in the bank and Doug didnt want it axed so he signed Cascarino

• Like 1

If we're being realistic i'd say Fofana and Cabaye, we might have had an actual midfield if houllier stayed.

What would have been the point? Ball would have gone over their heads most of the game.

Fair point, don't think the likes of collins would have stayed had houllier also stayed though.

We were linked with Gary Lineker when he left Barcelona which would have been nice (albeit pre PL). Post PL I would go for Bergkamp who had a lift from our former chairman in his Roller from Birmingham Airport before going on to sign for Arsenal instead. Fantasy Island wise pre PL George Best and since it started Messi (that could still happen...)!   

• Like 1

Â