Who is the One Player You Wish Had Played For Villa

maqroll

For me, Roy Keane - he would have signed had we won the title in 92 - 93 .............. When he was leaving Forest he said he was going to sign for whoever were champions as Man U, Us and BBurn were in.............

For me - who we messed up on all go back to Big Rons days........... Andy Cole when Dalian was struggling for fitness in the run up to the season in 92 - 93......... Stuart Pearce as well that season................. Also, when we signed John Fashanu, we went for him - couldn't get him, so went for an upcoming striker in Italy for a massive sum of £300K, deal done - player in Dougs Office ready to sign his contract when the blower goes and its Wimbledon willing to deal............. Doug leaves it to Ron - Ron says Fash and sends the extremely upset player back to his club.............. the striker, Oliver Bierhoff.............

• Like 1

Without getting carried away with the likes of Cantona who we could never have signed, I reckon Robbie Keane first time round. He would have been a legend and made a massive difference at the time. John Gregory not signing him was a massive **** up!

it wasnt Gregory's fault, Deadly Doug wouldnt stump up the extra 250k to sign him

• Like 1

Without getting carried away with the likes of Cantona who we could never have signed, I reckon Robbie Keane first time round. He would have been a legend and made a massive difference at the time. John Gregory not signing him was a massive **** up!

it wasnt Gregory's fault, Deadly Doug wouldnt stump up the extra 250k to sign him

Gregory says in his book he didn't think he was worth the asking price so said no.

Juninho when he was at Atl. Madrid. I'm pretty sure we were top of the league around December, but, iirc, Ellis wouldn't pay the transfer fee and we ended up falling away.

Once again, we did the deal with Madrid, but at the last minute the £2M pay off from Madrid he was owed they said Villa had to pay, and we told em to **** off........ Rightly So........

That was it.

Ellis wouldn't pay the extra £2M. I always wonder what would've happened if we'd have signed him.

Juninho when he was at Atl. Madrid. I'm pretty sure we were top of the league around December, but, iirc, Ellis wouldn't pay the transfer fee and we ended up falling away.

Once again, we did the deal with Madrid, but at the last minute the £2M pay off from Madrid he was owed they said Villa had to pay, and we told em to **** off........ Rightly So........

That was it.

Ellis wouldn't pay the extra £2M. I always wonder what would've happened if we'd have signed him.

I don't blame him - why should we pay some other feckers bills............ we were giving em £10 or £12m as it was !!

That was it.

Silly thing was - I remember having a beer in a boozer in stonnall once and JG was in there, he was telling us if the Juninho deal had gone through, we would have stood a massive chance of getting Vieiri out of them as well cos they were on there arse and the Madrid manager at the time was one of his best pals.............

• Like 1

Les Ferdinand.  I honestly think he'd have been the mythical "missing piece of the jigsaw".  Little had put together a great side, and given how great he was at Newcastle, he'd have been perfect.

If we're talking just random fantasy signings, then for the Premier League era, Thierry Henry.

In terms of a player we realistically could/should have got.......Robbie Keane 

I have some good news for you...

Yeah after I posted I remembered he came on loan for a few months. But I am referring to the young Robbie Keane who was at Coventry City.

OK I will change my answer to Andy Cole. Andy Cole was having a tough time at Manchester United when he first joined and was actually suffering from depression. It was Brian Little who was the first to come up with the idea of a Yorke and Cole partnership. For whatever reason the rumours and newspaper gossip of Cole coming to Villa in 96/97 never materialized.

If those Falcao rumours were true (and it's a large IF) during THAT season, it could be very different right now.

In terms of a player we realistically could/should have got.......Robbie Keane 

I have some good news for you...

Yeah after I posted I remembered he came on loan for a few months. But I am referring to the young Robbie Keane who was at Coventry City.

OK I will change my answer to Andy Cole. Andy Cole was having a tough time at Manchester United when he first joined and was actually suffering from depression. It was Brian Little who was the first to come up with the idea of a Yorke and Cole partnership. For whatever reason the rumours and newspaper gossip of Cole coming to Villa in 96/97 never materialized.

Yeah I know mate, just ribbing you ;)

And I agree, if it was us with that Cole/Yorke partnership then it would have been incredible.

Of the players we were linked with and never got, I'd say Bergkamp, Juninho, Gazza.

Falcao instead of Heskey could've been incredible. Even Darren Bent at that point would've got us 4th. Maybe Robbie Keane when he left Inter.

I'd have loved to have seen more of Luc Nilis :(

Les Ferdinand.  I honestly think he'd have been the mythical "missing piece of the jigsaw".  Little had put together a great side, and given how great he was at Newcastle, he'd have been perfect.

If we're talking just random fantasy signings, then for the Premier League era, Thierry Henry.

Little hadn't put that side together when he went for Ferdinand.  We had just survived relegation (Last Day??) and he went in with Ferdinand.  Missed out but due to the conversation with the big man Little said he realised he had to build a team rather than a marquee signing

Even Darren Bent at that point would've got us 4th

I think so. At the time he left Spurs he was perfect for us, but for whatever bizzare reason, MON didn't fancy him. Bent obviously then went on to score about 30 goals in 60 games in a team containing Lee Cattermole and Andy Reid. The rest is history.

Typical Villa to then go and sign him 2/3 years too late.

• Like 1

Doug Ellis pulled the plug on that through sheer stubborness. I remember Gregory coming out afterwards and said we offered Coventry eleven twelfths of what they wanted but Ellis wasn't willing to go the whole hog.

Such a shame.

Read John Gregory's book........ it was the opposite.......... We put the money in, Cov wanted the extra £500K, Ellis said to get it done, but JG said NO, said we were being held to ransom.........

Was it not Wolves who we dealing with, and Coventry who ultimately got him at our expense?

last year..huddlestone..better than what we have

keane.. both robbie & roy, thought god & andy towsend would have twisted roys arm

We did put a bid in for Roy when he was known to be leaving Forest, as did Liverpool, Everton and Spurs I think it was. (possibly another club too)

The highest wage offer was from Forest themselves who offered to beat any other offer he got. Next highest was Liverpool, then United, then pretty much the same offer from us, Spurs and Everton. He chose United for footballing reasons.

I got told that by the chairman of Forest at the time - Fred Reacher who we bumped into in some random pub near Northampton off the M1 on the way back from the League Cup final against Leeds

• Like 1

Â