Top 3 Places You Have Been

donnie

I wish people around here had the sense to do research instead of spunking money on overpriced packaged holidays tbh (I'm in Singapore right now)

I got there direct form Siem Reap with Silk Air , think i paid around £100 but maybe less  , stopped for a couple of days and then picked up my flight back to the UK :)

even got a room at Raffles with a free Singapore Sling in the bar thrown in for about £200 a night  .. I know there are better hotels but I like doing the old world type stuff  , relive the days of the Empire and such :)

I think if I can end up seeing even half the places Tony has been to, I'd be pretty fulfilled.

Virgin Blue down you way would cover a lot of places wouldn't they ? was fairly impressed with them ..cheap and reliable

Have you been to Tallinn ?

I thought it was nicer than Riga but i went to Riga back in 1990's so it may well have changed a lot since

Yeah did three nights in Riga, then a bus up to Parnu (Estonian coast, nice weather/sunsets but bit dull) and another on to Tallinn. I enjoyed Tallinn but found it overrated tbh. Maybe it was because I had expected less from Riga but found it better on pretty much every count.

Good question and tough to answer. I'd say, in no particular order

Cambodia - Wonderful country, great sights and fantastic people

Hong Kong - World class city with great nightlife, albeit expensive (I still wince about spending £1500 on one night!)

New York - Christmas, snow and NYC. A winning combo!

Also liked Berlin, Prague, Tallinn, Paris, Bangkok and the Philippines

I winced at the thought of you spending £1500 in one night !!

Yowsers ... How many lines of coke and hookers did you do :P

After this night I never took my credit card out in the evening again! 

As for what happened... maybe one for the confessions thread at some point! 

• Like 1

3. Bristol. I get that most people are talking far flung places or Villa Park, but for me, in the UK there are places that I love that arent necessarily on other peoples lists. I love Blackpool as an example, I love Bath, Ely, and parts of Norfolk. But more than all of them is Bristol. 2 years ago I had never been there and since I have been a number of times. The first time I wanted to move there and still giving it some serious consideration. A beautiful city, vibrant and with so much going on. Love that place.

2. Pefkos in Rhodes. We have been all over Greece, its islands, a few times a year we found ourselves in different towns or villages but Pefkos, for its restaurants, its people and the beauty of the surrounding area was the only place that we think, this is where we will retire to.

3. Santa Monica. Without exception the best place I have ever been to. I love Los Angeles, so much about that city I love and the fact it makes you work without a discernible city centre, but just a little way out you have Santa Monica and its really the best place I have ever been to.  

Honourable mentions to Brussels, Las Vegas and Serre Chevalier in France.

Edited by Seat68

top 3 is a tough call and probably depends on mood, because right now I've got:

1.0 Kynance Cove in Cornwall - I suspect that it can be rammed with tourists at the wrong time of the year, but when we visited it was almost deserted but with the café open. Spent a whole long hot day in and out of the water with the kids building intricate sandcastle moats and walls. Home made pasties and tea for lunch then hunting lizards on the long walk back to the car. Possibly the best day ever.

2.0 Fethard on Sea, County Wexford - very similar story to the first one, a long hot day on a deserted beach and crystal clear waters. This time we were the only people on the beach and saw nobody else all day. Local sausages cooked on a disposable bbq then walk back to the cottage for a hot bath.

3.0 Barry Island - and pretty much the same story again, sat on a board out in the sheltered waters of the bay with a coffee watching my kids practising their sea swimming and board skills for a competition the next day. Just sublime.

Ask me next week, it'll be 3 city breaks.

1) Austin, Texas. I will move here one day and never leave. Lived here for a year and was heartbroken when I had to leave. I fell in love with the people, the music, the food, the weather, everything.

2) London, UK. I am not a natural London boy but I have lived here for a couple of years and I bloody love it. It has the ability to piss you off royaly sometimes but there is no better city on earth for culture, nightlife, museums, events, theatre, food, drink, sport, etc etc etc. Sure it's busy and you do get worked to death if you live here, but if you leave you miss the energy and can't wait to go back. Something is ALWAYS happening and it's often easy to overlook how amazing it is as a city just because it's our own capital.

3) Oslo, Norway. Women. Women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women women. Once you go Norwegian you just can't go back! Everyone in Norway is gorgeous, fun, friendly, the language is lovely, I love cold climates if it's PROPER cold like Norway, the countryside is beautiful and when it comes to how a country is run it doesn't get much better than here.

• Like 1

so I've just asked my youngest where was nice and why, the answer:

I liked the bit in Paris where we were looking at the stuff the street vendors were selling, then two police came on their bikes and the street guys pulled strings and all their eifel towers and stuff got scooped up into a sack and they legged it. I also liked looking over the embankment and seeing that man filling bottles of water from the Seine and then putting them all in a bucket, walking up the steps and selling them to tourists as drinking water.

There you go, the best place ever, according to my nipper, was watching street scam artists in Paris.

Not in any particular order.....

Vegas: This place had an impact on me. I had four amazing nights there, and I'll be going back this year. Some people say it's tacky - meh - I say those people are boring. If you can't see it for what it is, which is a town built purely to entertain, then there's no hope for you. The nightlife was exceptional; great food to be had; gambling opprtunities - goes without saying; beautiful women everywhere; sports bars aplenty for the NFL and whatnot. Awesome.

Boracay Island: I'm not sure what it's like these days, but it was still at an okay level of development when I was there. The white beach is an amazing stretch of iddylic sand & turquoise sea. There's not a lot to do apart from relax, eat great food and drink (good beach bars), but it's a holiday paradise. I just hope it doesn't become ruined by over development.

Hong Kong: There's a certain buzz and atmosphere about this city. Plenty to see and do even if you just walk around and take in the sights and sounds of the place. As with the other destinations mentioned above, and it's an important thing for me, I found the nightlife to be fantastic. I like a good balance of stuff to do duing the day and things to do at night. Hong Kong has it. My goal is to eventually work there for a while.

Honourable mention goes to to Bangkok, the Gili Islands, and Barcelona.

Edited by Morley_crosses_to_Withe

Ive seen a couple of shouts on here for Bangkok which surprises me due to what ive read and been told. Im going thailand this year and alot of people tell me to only stay a night in Bangkok and use it as a base to fly around the country but avoid staying for more then a night. ive heard little positivity towards Bangkok.

Are peoples misgivings towards Bangkok unjustified then??

Ive seen a couple of shouts on here for Bangkok which surprises me due to what ive read and been told. Im going thailand this year and alot of people tell me to only stay a night in Bangkok and use it as a base to fly around the country but avoid staying for more then a night. ive heard little positivity towards Bangkok.

errm nobody has mentioned Bangkok in their top 3   ... ( think they may have done in the worse 3 thread  though )

it is what it is , but you don't need to go to BKK to get banged by a lady boy  , there are plenty of other places in Asia for that :)

Depends what you want to get up to in Bangers! A lot of people, myself included, love it.

• Like 1

What are the negative things that you've read/heard?

Who are you going to Thailand with?

Â