Neknomination debate

dont_do_it_doug.

There is nothing wrong with educating and providing services for people in vulnerable positions. I don't think anyone is arguing for completely ignoring the troubles of others. However, comparing a drug addict to a kid doing something regrettable is rather questionable.

You can help those in need, but you can't babysit a country. People will do daft shit and wind up dead, they always have and always will.

I was trying to understand what was meant by 'Darwin Nominated' it sounded to me like it was being suggested that people were selecting themselves out of the gene pool through stupid acts. I probably should of thought of a better example than a drug addict though. Anyway I always thought Darwinism was about selecting for the environment and adapting to that rather than anything like filtering out people who might be deemed 'stupid'.

As I say I'm just trying to learn.

Essentially man kinds greatest evolutionary step was cognitive intelligence. The ability to reason, to absorb and to act upon sensory input.

The Darwinism they're talking of suggests that for man to evolve further then we need the "less intelligent" humans removed from the gene pool, that this is a natural phenomenon.

This fails on many levels. Not least because it's not necessarily a good thing that we get "more intelligent". It's my opinion that we'll act more and more ruthless as a result, as emotion and unity are set aside for the greater good of the individual. Or the fact that one random foolish act does not make somebody less intelligent, or less "useful" to the race as a whole.

An important part of our evolution is education, we have the ability to teach and to retain information that we then pass on down our own blood line. What BOF seems to be suggesting is "**** it, let em die off"!

Also, you know, I don't think sympathy is a dirty word. That it should be regulated.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

There is nothing wrong with educating and providing services for people in vulnerable positions. I don't think anyone is arguing for completely ignoring the troubles of others. However, comparing a drug addict to a kid doing something regrettable is rather questionable.

You can help those in need, but you can't babysit a country. People will do daft shit and wind up dead, they always have and always will.

I was trying to understand what was meant by 'Darwin Nominated' it sounded to me like it was being suggested that people were selecting themselves out of the gene pool through stupid acts. I probably should of thought of a better example than a drug addict though. Anyway I always thought Darwinism was about selecting for the environment and adapting to that rather than anything like filtering out people who might be deemed 'stupid'.

As I say I'm just trying to learn.

Essentially man kinds greatest evolutionary step was cognitive intelligence. The ability to reason, to absorb and to act upon sensory input.

The Darwinism they're talking of suggests that for man to evolve further then we need the "less intelligent" humans removed from the gene pool, that this is a natural phenomenon.

This fails on many levels. Not least because it's not necessarily a good thing that we get "more intelligent". It's my opinion that we'll act more and more ruthless as a result, as emotion and unity are set aside for the greater good of the individual. Or the fact that one random foolish act does not make somebody less intelligent, or less "useful" to the race as a whole.

An important part of our evolution is education, we have the ability to teach and to retain information that we then pass on down our own blood line. What BOF seems to be suggesting is "**** it, let em die off"!

Also, you know, I don't think sympathy is a dirty word. That it should be regulated.

I'd read that the familar picture depicting an ape in a series of images as he eventually turns into man is one of the most misleading depictions of evolution, because it suggests that it's about becoming streamlined superhuman beings when all evolution is about is becoming more adapted to the environment and increasing your genes frequency.

So although we have become more intelligent as a result of evolution that's not what it's actually all about.

• Like 1

I like a drink (mine's a beer please :cheers: ), but this isn't for me. I much prefer the videos where people do random acts of kindness. I hope that catches on. 

Mind you, I've never had anyone beat me in a 'downing' competition, so I guess I'd do a pretty impressive video. 

Useless - Yes, I agree. Increased intelligence is not necessarily the next step in our evolution.

It wasn't really my opinion but something that had been stated to me as fact and it made sense to me, which I repeated as best as I could.

This video I found explains it better.

Thanks for information by the way.

Millions of people in the last 6 months, just recently discovered you only live once, she took hers off, rip yours off, now dance on the stage till your wig falls off, ignore the consequences at all costs, convince yourself this isn't your loss.

Last time I said YOLO, my chain swung from the left to the right and I still can't remember the rest of the night, it's not even a comic, it's a par, "Nathan I'm sorry for the vomit in your car, but you know bro, YOLO!"

It's an inefficient reminder that inhibitions are minor, release is a must like a proper safe account, 'cos life's like a calculator and a shotter's amount of paper, at the end of the day, you gotta make it count.

So I live for the moment, reassess what I'm prepared to give to the moment, allow my focus to shift to the moment, symbolized in this drink that I live to the gift of the moment, means I'm less likely not to share a detail but increase the times I forgot to wear a seatbelt,

See girls, we males, we could toast to good health but we toast to getting ****, so we can say that we're young and we're supposed to get it wrong, that's why we get lean as opposed to getting strong, then go to the gym and work on our upper body strength but we hardly go on treads cos that's cardio and legs.

See we're short sighted, we don't know what foresight is, that's the reason why we laugh whole heartedly and why I don't respect you if you can't go-kart with me.

"Nah, don't start with me, you fool, you blaze a fag, but since when have you been too cool for laser tag? So you work in an office and your day's a drag? Cuz, On the way to the station just race a jag, then wipe the sweat from your face and brag, about your new found Jason Statham swag!"

That's called YOLO,

But I could lose a brother that fell out with me and that would bother the hell of out me, so I'm tearing and calling him up in the prison, hearing him falling in love with the vision, of when he's here and we can ball in another division and you hear from me that all of the brothers have risen.

I'm repeating myself, no, I keep repeating myself, all my poems are starting to sound the same but it's cool, as long as my heart isn't down the drain, I wouldn't even mind getting martyred without the fame, 'Cos you only live once, you gotta make it count.

As much as it's a reason to go mad in the rave, I'm so glad it's a wave, cos this one makes sense, It's just used to justify a lot of dumb statements.

I could live my life like a music video but those after effects do stick with me so, If I use YOLO to help me to sin, then why wouldn't I use it to help people win?

Especially those with unhealthy beginnings, plus if that's the case, you can't tell me a thing, I might as well be a king, 'Cos I can get wasted and buzz about for days but that says more about me than it does about the phrase.

And this is something everyone doesn't like to say but breathing is a luxury and I could die today, but I would like some change like a shopkeeper, so I can't ignore the fact that life's a lot deeper, some stuff isn't worth the bull, 'cos some of that dumb stuff's irreversible.

This isn't personal, but I tell myself don't go too crazy, 'cos YOLO could leave you with a whole new baby, or if not, the prospect of terminating one, we find germinating fun, but learning ain't the one.

And some of those STIs can burn and they can bun and if I am very loose and you see me with the pills and the cranberry juice,
you'd be looking at me like I'm actually scum.

The point is YOLO doesn't have to be dumb, there's no doubt in my brain that you can change the world, I'd go out of my way to prove that they can tell but if the stake's too high, you gotta take it down, I said if the stake's too high you gotta take it down.

Because you only live once, you gotta make it count.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gDwiotVleI

• Like 1

Darwin is not eugenics. Darwin subscribes to letting the eejits find their own way off a cliff. Eugenics decides who to push and who to keep.

Natural selection supposes that an organism that has most adapted to it's environment will have a higher chance of reproducing . If anything "stupid" people reproduce far more than "intelligent" people and as a species we are not going to face many evolutionary shake ups just like the great white shark .

• Like 1

Darwin is not eugenics. Darwin subscribes to letting the eejits find their own way off a cliff. Eugenics decides who to push and who to keep.

By doing nothing you're making that decision.
No, now you're discounting or trivialising free will which is a very important part of it. There's a huge difference between going out and consciously killing someone or standing back and letting them decide to do whatever the hell they want. Be it stay alive or die. Even on VillaTalk I'd say that's unarguable.

Never mind discounting and trivialising freewill ... I would go as far as saying that it doesn't exist and is, the greatest myth going . Your brain is a biological computer that acts in accord with it's spec (genetic quality) and software (environmental upbringing) . I find it strange that people somehow think that there is a seperate "you" that is in control when there clearly isn't .

• Like 1

Yes, in the video I posted he makes the point without being too judgemental, that a guy without a career might have a dozen kids and then a couple who have high flying careers and might seem really successful to onlookers may have say one or two or no kids, but from evolutionary point of view the parents with more kids are more successful.

At least that was my takeaway, even if I haven't explained it well.

• Like 1

I just can't fathom the stupidity of people sometimes. 

I saw a link to a story earlier which featured a video of a guy in Ireland who cut the head off a bird before eating its insides, then poured a pint of gin, stuck a goldfish inside, drank the lot, stripped off then jumped off a cliff into the sea.

Sadly... he survived.

Humans are risk-takers, which we accept has benefits for the species, and we only think it amounts to madness when it is misdirected: so walking towards a machine gun to preserve the honour of the king or country, equals good; while tombstoning equals daft.

Young people mature far quicker physically than they do mentally and from the self-destructive stuff they tend to do, it would seem that they have little sense of their own mortality.

When they join the armed forces, the fire brigade, climb mountains, or play dangerous sports, we see meaning in their doing it, but when they do it outside the activities we have arbitrarily decided are laudable we decide they are idiots.

An alien seeing people risking life and limb skiing down a slope for a medal, would probably find it no less strange, than someone seeing how much they can drink and still live, as a dare.

Society demands that people be willing to sacrifice themselves, so what do people do when there are a lot fewer legitimate opportunities to do so?

Having stayed away from the site over the past couple of days after being involved in a particularly heated debate concerning Neknomination it has given me the time to deliberate whether I had been too dismissive of alternative opinion?

To answer this question I have decided to concentrate on what I believe to be the definitive questions in relation to the debate.

1. What actually defines a game?

2. Is there a point whereby any game can lose it's definition?

The only way I could hope to obtain a balanced and impartial answer to those questions was to partake in research and during that research I discovered an article by Raph Koster.

Raph Koster, who comments regularly on the gaming industry but has also expanded those theories to games in general states 'playing a game is the act of solving statistically varied challenge situations presented by an opponent who may or may not be algorithmic within a framework that is a defined systemic model.'

Koster further explains that theory by stating 'I use it precisely because it is inclusive. It admits of me turning a toy into a game by imposing my own challenge on it (such as a ball being a toy, but trying to catch it after bouncing it against the wall becoming a game with simple rules that I myself define). It admits of sports. It admits of those who turn interpersonal relationships or the stock market, or anything else into a game.'

I have underlined and bolded parts of Koster's theory because it is clearly stating that the definition of a game is completely up to the individual participating in it.

Indeed you could say that Koster's theory not only answers my first question but encompasses the second as well due to the Necknomination phenomenon becoming a morality issue for the individual to decide whether the game has lost it's definition and if losing it's definition, is participation actually condoning the deaths of two adolescents?

The alternative view to mine is that and i'll quote one of Stevo's recent posts 'But like I said before you can't ban stuff that isn't dangerous, because a tiny minority have made it dangerous for them.'

Its those three words underlined and in bold which defines the alternative argument and is where I feel that argument ultimately falls down.

The game is no longer isolated to 'necking one pint' and there is widespread evidence of this throughout the majority of social networks so it cannot be denied. The identity of the original game has been changed by the individual and has escalated through peer pressure for the nominee to better the previously nominated into simply, who can consume more.

This increase in alcohol consumption has led to two deaths!

It is therefore my personal decision to refrain from participating in Neknomination. That non participation isn't due to widespread condemnation of Necknomination by the general public, politicians or a judge and it isn't even due to alcohol being an addictive drug.

It is however due to two young people dying, without any safeguards put in place by the majority of social networking sites to stop it happening again and it is my choice not to promote or to condone that.  

• Like 2

Â