Neknomination debate

dont_do_it_doug.

I love drinking games though. A good drinking game is great fun.

Indeed.

Many an hour of amusement and drunkenness have I had with different groups of people playing all sorts of drinking games (matchbox game was a long running favourite).

I was never a fan of 'next' as it didn't really seem that much fun (I have no problem with (other people or me) downing a pint/challenging someone to a race/a boat race/trying to do a yard of ale and so on).

One of the best games I've ever played was at a mate's house fairly recently. There were 4 blokes. When the women went to get ready we decided to play a game to pass the time, but couldn't really come up with anything.

So we decided we'd all roll a dice (he had one of these yahtzee sets with like 6 dice in) and the only rules were if you rolled the lowest you had to drink, and if you rolled the highest you made up a rule.

An hour and half later we were all bladdered, the women had joined in, and there were about 100 rules, different sized dice, roll offs, battle rounds etc etc.

less is more :)

You can have a lot of fun with dice and alcohol. So simple.

Dunno, depends what your idea of being social is.

Plenty think nightclubs are social but I consider them the least social places on earth.

Aye agree with that.

Games though, as a general rule, are social. You don't need to be talking about anything in particular with somebody to enjoy their company.

Maybe I am a boring old sod (27) but most of these games are stupid and immature. When I'm out with friends we don't do stupid shit like this, and we still have a good time.

Meh im 19

Haha! Dunno why but I had you pegged as being about 35! Sorry!

Serious !?! Hahaha ill take that as a compliment...

What a tool. People doing ridiculous things to "get one over their mates" yet if anybody was a real friend they wouldn't be daring them to do such things.

This is the thing though.

The game isn't to dare your mates to drink 3 bottles of spirits. If someone chooses to do that then they're a moron.

And if someone has turned the game into "i dare you to drink 3 bottles of spirits" then they're also a moron.

Like I said before, if someone decided to play football with a landmine you can't blame football for someone getting killed.

What a tool. People doing ridiculous things to "get one over their mates" yet if anybody was a real friend they wouldn't be daring them to do such things.

This is the thing though.

The game isn't to dare your mates to drink 3 bottles of spirits. If someone chooses to do that then they're a moron.

And if someone has turned the game into "i dare you to drink 3 bottles of spirits" then they're also a moron.

Like I said before, if someone decided to play football with a landmine you can't blame football for someone getting killed.

That comparison wouldn't stand up to scrutiny and I'm sure you know that.

Alcohol is a drug and should be respected as such, in my opinion.

• Like 1

Maybe it's not a perfect comparison, but the general point still stands.

I just don't accept that the vast majority of people playing the game normally are in any way to blame for a very tiny minority being idiots.

And so I don't accept the train of thought that nobody should play this game because a couple of people have died.

I agree, it's down to the individual to play it if they want. They should take responsibility for their actions and how far they take it

Maybe I am a boring old sod (27) but most of these games are stupid and immature. When I'm out with friends we don't do stupid shit like this, and we still have a good time.

Meh im 19 

Haha! Dunno why but I had you pegged as being about 35!  Sorry!

And me, I thought he was Jack's Dad

• Like 1

And so I don't accept the train of thought that nobody should play this game because a couple of people have died.

I'm coming at this from the indirect encouragement angle. That they're idiots is not, essentially, their own fault. It's a result of genetics and social circumstance. The least we can do as non-idiots is to not hand them a platform, not be a part of their "problem".

Whilst the governments rule, we divide. The only way the power will ever return to the people is via union.

Doubt we're going to agree mind. So I agree to not.

• Like 1

I agree, it's down to the individual to play it if they want. They should take responsibility for their actions and how far they take it

This is the society that Thatcher manufactured, in my opinion. "**** the idiots, as long as I'm all right Jack..."

I'm coming at this from the indirect encouragement angle. That they're idiots is not, essentially, their own fault. It's a result of genetics and social circumstance. The least we can do as non-idiots is to not hand them a platform, not be a part of their "problem".

But, again, by this logic non-idiots shouldn't really do anything, ever.

Let them get on with it.  Darwin's theory.  We've essentially become a nation of morons anyway.

What legacy will the current generation of 15-25 years olds leave behind?  Drinking games, vampires, and making millionaires out of orange people who can hardly string a sentence together.

If being a **** wasn't deemed aspirational there wouldn't be an issue with this craze.  But it is.  So many youngsters have no other way of distinguishing themselves from just being ordinary.  Ordinary isn't acceptable.  Ordinary doesn't get you Likes or Retweets.  Go big or go home.

Everything these days is shit or amazing.  There's no middle ground, because the middle ground doesn't get a response.

YOLO.  LOL....

Edited by NurembergVillan
  • Like 3

Â