Kingdom Come: Deliverance

hogso

32 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Erm, looked a bit cack from that trailer. Hope the game is better.

The issue this game has is that Warhorse Studios are a small indie studio. They only have between 60-80 employee's and not all of those will be working on the game. 

What they are trying to do is what CD Projekt RED do, but with 7.5x fewer staff. The Witcher 3 is also an indie game, but it's made by 600 people. So Kingdom Come looks good for what it is, but they are trying to make a AAA quality game as a small indie.

With all that in mind it looks great, but I do think Warhorse need to talk up how this is a game made by a small studio. If they keep leading the impression that they are a big studio then gamers will tear this game apart.

Edited by Daweii

@Ginko Ha, well, yeah, I can understand that impression from the above actually. I probably should have quantified my 'sweet trailer' with it physically looks excellent. The voice acting is amatuerish at best and the story is your typical throwaway revenge shtick.

The draw for me here is the heavy emphasis on a realistic medieval world, particularly in regards to combat. I played the heck out of Mount & Blade back in the day, but always yearned for a game like that, but with more of a focus on the western, open world RPG element, and far more polished. This game has represented that to me from the first time I heard about the Kickstarter.

Edited by hogso

• 8 months later...

Put in an hour or so this evening. At times it looks great, at others not so much. The animations are decent and although there are definate exceptions, the voice acting is alright and fits the world nicely. 

I hope no one plays this expecting something like Witcher 3 or Skyrim. It's neither of those things, by a long shot. I actually really liked the slow start and mucking about with your mates stuff, while working for your dad. It endeared me to the characters quickly, and the authenticity of the village certainly aids that too. 

The detail in the homes, clothes, politics of the time make everything feel genuine and unique. So far it's what I was hoping for, but the realism (there's a mechanic that penalises you for overeating for example!) and lack of action/magic/monsters may be a bit of a turn off for some, which is perhaps a bit unfair (discounting the controversy about one of the lead devs, if you don't try it cos of that I understand). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Thanks for the review. I think a lot of people were expecting a witcher 3 clone but that's like a AAA+ game and Kingdom Come is like AA at best. 

Any bad bugs so far? 

Kingdom Come: Deliverance reminds me a lot of how I felt when I played The Witcher for the first time in 2007.

The Witcher was a game by a studio that had never made a game before and as a result the game was janky and unpolished, but ultimately it was brilliant and laid the foundations for what became a huge AAA franchise by a independent studio. 

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is also a game by an independent studio that has never made a game before and as a result it's janky and unpolished, yet it is also ultimately brilliant.

If Warhorse Studios play their cards right then a decade from now we could be looking at a similar situation to that of The Witcher with this series.

----------

As for bugs.

I had one where an NPC opened a door which let me into a room I wasn't meant to enter yet, which left me locked in once the door closed, I lost a fair bit of progress due to that one which was unfortunate.

Aside from that I haven't had any other issues. I've had some mild visual bugs and clothing clipping into NPC models which looks ugly, but again standard AA quality issues. 

I'll wait for a few weeks until they iron out the major bugs but the early signs look good. It looks more like an RPG than other recent titles.

I would have preferred free combat over the lock on style they have opted for but it looks promising - certainly not press x to win which has put me off other acclaimed games

This game is a glitchy mess and it's phenomenal regardless!

One thing I would say is wait a few weeks if you're planning to play on Console. The only reason I say that is because Microsoft/Sony certification is slow to the point where the first patch to fix some bugs is 12 days away.

If you have a good enough PC though and don't mind some quirks then jump in now as it's getting patched daily on Steam, but if you're only on the Consoles I would advise waiting as some of the bugs can be rough.

All in all though whether you get it now or wait a few weeks the game is phenomenal. I wasn't expecting it to be as open ended with regards to how the player can achieve certain things, it's very very cool. 

3 hours ago, Daweii said:

This game is a glitchy mess and it's phenomenal regardless!

One thing I would say is wait a few weeks if you're planning to play on Console. The only reason I say that is because Microsoft/Sony certification is slow to the point where the first patch to fix some bugs is 12 days away.

:D :mellow:

Just bought ps4 version...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

:D :mellow:

Just bought ps4 version...

As long as you stay on top of saving the game you should be fine. :D

I do think the really bad bugs are somewhat rare, but because of how the saving mechanic works a bug at the wrong time can really be frustrating. 

I hope you enjoy it though, I've been having a ton of fun with it regardless of its lack of polish in many areas. 

• Like 1

Just now, Daweii said:

As long as you stay on top of saving the game you should be fine. :D

I do think the really bad bugs are somewhat rare, but because of how the saving mechanic works a bug at the wrong time can really be frustrating. 

I hope you enjoy it though, I've been having a ton of fun with it regardless of its lack of polish in many areas. 

Any tips? Or am I better off just going in blind?

1 minute ago, Designer1 said:

Any tips? Or am I better off just going in blind?

I would say going in blind is the best way to appreciate this game.

The game has a very nice tutorial section that teaches you the fundamentals slowly over the opening 4 - 6 hours of the game, so I'm not sure I'd be giving you any tips that the game won't give you through playing. 

2 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I would say going in blind is the best way to appreciate this game.

The game has a very nice tutorial section that teaches you the fundamentals slowly over the opening 4 - 6 hours of the game, so I'm not sure I'd be giving you any tips that the game won't give you through playing. 

Cool, that's tonight sorted then !

Cheers mate :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Well this has a few technical issues, but it also has that certain 'it' factor that means I'll be ploughing a good few hours into it over the weekend.

Intriguing.

That's where I stand on the whole game. It has plenty of issues, some minor and some serious, but the game is a ton of fun regardless. 

• Like 1

It's a technical mess, but bloody good fun. Such a refreshing change of pace.

You're not the chosen one, or any bullshit, you're just some random peon. You're not important, nobody cares what you're doing, the world doesn't revolve around you. Which makes a damn nice change to RPGs like The Witcher, and Bethesda's god simulators. It's brilliant, more immersive than anything I've played in years, and often incredibly funny just seeing something happening and thinking "...But I'm the player, ffs, this isn't meant to happen to me".                   

• Like 2

I got food poisoning earlier and couldn't figure out why until I realised that food spoils over time when left in your inventory.

There is so much to re-learn in this game. I keep forgetting that this isn't Elder Scrolls with all the fantasy shit cut out, that this game does everything differently despite looking like Elder Scrolls on first glance. 

54 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I got food poisoning earlier and couldn't figure out why until I realised that food spoils over time when left in your inventory. 

This happened to me too. Don't neglect the bath house either! 

Â