--------Carrick, Wilshere

------------Gerrard

Walcott--------------------Ox

--------------Rooney

Subs (the ones that get used regularly):

Sturridge

Lallana

Rodriguez

Wellbeck (wide attack where he's actually half decent)

Townsend

Jagielka

Cole

I know Terry is a controversial choice. But despite the fact he's a monumental arsehole, he's still a very good defender, and I think Cahill and Terry playing together at their club would benefit us.

Walcott has been ruled out with an injury, hasn't he?

-----------------Foster----------------

-------Lescott Cahill Jagielka-------

Walker------------------------Baines

-------------Milner Barry--------------

---------------Barkley------------------

---------Rooney Sturridge-----------

The fact that you have 4 Everton players (who are having a decent season granted) in the side, tells us all we need to know about England's chances at the World Cup.

Not sure if it's definite. I was obviously working on the assumption he'd be fit.

Probably put Townsend in if he's out.

Although I think Wellbeck's position is wide attacker, in an almost defensive forward role, if that makes sense.

I think too many people see a team set up like that with one wide man (Ox for example) bombing on and get frustrated that Wellbeck isn't doing the same. But actually he needs to be a bit deeper otherwise we'd be exposed, and it also allows a player like Baines to overlap and get beyond him.

Wellbeck gets a lot of stick, but I think in that wide attacking role he's a good player. I just dont think he's a goalscoring CF

Not sure if it's definite. I was obviously working on the assumption he'd be fit.

Probably put Townsend in if he's out.

Although I think Wellbeck's position is wide attacker, in an almost defensive forward role, if that makes sense.

I think too many people see a team set up like that with one wide man (Ox for example) bombing on and get frustrated that Wellbeck isn't doing the same. But actually he needs to be a bit deeper otherwise we'd be exposed, and it also allows a player like Baines to overlap and get beyond him.

Wellbeck gets a lot of stick, but I think in that wide attacking role he's a good player. I just dont think he's a goalscoring CF

If he's fit, I'd have Walcott over Townsend all day long. I'd like to think I'd be able to find a place for Barkley, but at the moment I'd just have him as sub.

Must say I'm surprised how many people haven't picked Sturridge. Surely he's the form English striker, in the league this season? Scoring goals for fun. Got to start!

Lots of people putting Wilshere in a holding role, that's not really where he plays. He's every bit as much an attacking midfielder as Townsend and The Ox are. The same applies for Barkely.

We've seen more than enough of England managers playing attacking midfielders in holding positions, and it doesn't work.

Hart

Walker Cahill Jagielka Baines

Carrick Lampard

Wilshere Barkely Rodriguez

Rooney

Perhaps you'd push Rooney back into an AM spot and put Sturridge upfront, but the most important thing is to play as many attacking midfielders as possible, this is undoubtedly our strongest area.

Edited by Shillzz

-----------------Forster----------------

--------Terry- Cahill -Jagielka------

Walker------------------------Baines

-----------Carrick--Gerrard-------

----------------Rooney----------------

---------Rodriguez Sturridge--------

Edited by Withinpurple

---------------------------------Jed Steer-----------------------

Matt Lowton------Ciaran Clark-----Nathan Baker-------------Joe Bennett

---------------------Ashley Westood---Gary Gardner-----------------------

-----------------------------------Fabian Delph-------------------------------

Marc Albrighton---------------------------------------------------Jordan Bowery

---------------------------------Gabriel Agbonlahor----------------------------

A shoe in for world cup glory this would be.

• Like 2

anyone see the analysis after the everton game on sky saturday night and how they all though in our 2 games vs them this season they all thought delph had looked a lot better than barkley...

anyway - 

hart

walker - cahill - jagielka - baines

carrick - gerrard

townsend - rooney - welbeck

sturridge

thats pretty shit if im honest, sturridge is in great form but i think with him / rooney / welbeck all roaming round we wont have much presence in the middle, townsend isnt good enough, jagielka really isnt good enough

will be interesting to see chamberlain getting a good run in the centre at arsenal, him, barkley, wilshere on the bench isnt too bad, would be tempted to call up huddlestone or barry and try and get them to control the pace of games, back up strikers are awful, back up CBs smalling or jones is even worse

Edited by villa4europe

Clark is Irish.  ;)

• Like 1

Clark is Irish.  ;)

Well he's actually English but you're right, I forgot he played for Ireland.  Oh well, world cup dream shattered then.

Without a doubt, England have to go defensive all the way to have a chance of going far in this tournament.

Joe Hart

Leighton Baines

John Terry (experience)

Gary Cahill (Ahead of Jagielka because he plays with John Terry at Chelsea)

Glen Johnson (experience)

Phil Jones

Steven Gerrard

Michael Carrick

James Milner

Wayne Rooney

Daniel Sturridge

Alternatives: Kyle Walker for Glen Johnson, Phil Jagielka for Gary Cahill and Jack Wilshere for Phil Jones when England are expected to have the ball more than the other team

Championships like these are so dependent on experienced players and people who don't **** up under pressure. Throwing in players like Lallana, Oxlade Chamberlain, Barkley and Sterling could come back and punish Hodgson immediately. Playing a defensive midfield of Phil Jones and Jack Wilshere could also be very tough to penetrate, Jones is always running around tackling and Wilshere has much of the same as well as attacking runs in him. Gerrard is always going to be vital, because he is good at getting the best out in important games and he is a leader on the pitch next to Terry at the back.

Rooney and Sturridge on top are almost as good as every other team, they are capable of creating and scoring every single game. Rooney has 20 goals/assists in roughly 18 games this season, Sturridge has 17 goals/assists in 14-ish games.

Edited by Papillon

In Brazil I'm biased against older players - especially the midfield - because of the huge stamina requirements for the weather in some of the games there. Younger players, though less experienced, will give you more.

If we are allowed to pick John Terry I'd include him in the back line instead of Cahill. 

I'd also change our formation to a Mourinho 4231, with 2 holding defensive midfielders and 3 quick attacking midfielders.

Foster

Walker

Terry

Jagielka

Baines

Wilshire

Milner

Oxlade-Chamberlain

Lallana

Townsend

Rodriguez

Subs: Agbonlahor, Gerrard, Rooney, Sturridge, Cahill, Townsend, Lambert