Phillip Seymour Hoffman

maqroll

You know that you are getting old when someone famous that you have never heard of dies, and it is the lead story on BBC News.

Another waste.

I'm not sure it's an age thing, but more a film one. If you are into your (decent) films, you will have heard of/seen PSH.

I'm with thetrees here.  His death was all over the news and social media, but I had to check to see if I was missing anything as I couldn't think of much other than Capote and TBL that he was in (both more than decent films of course).  It's sad, but the reaction seems more appropriate to a true Hollywood great, which I'd argue he isn't, although he's a fine actor.

I'm completely at loss with this.
PSH had been an addict at 20. He relapsed last year and now he's dead. 
Debate the drug laws all you want but the source is that someone didn't want to be conscious to the world around them and eventually the body just gave in to the minds demands and shut down. 
If Phillip Seymour Hoffman can win an oscar, have millions of dollars which would allow him freedom to exist outside of our slavery, and he still killed himself? Well, my own life feels pointless. 

If Phillip Seymour Hoffman can win an oscar, have millions of dollars which would allow him freedom to exist outside of our slavery, and he still killed himself? Well, my own life feels pointless. 

Without going too off topic, and starting a debate about mental health (there is a thread for discussing such issues, I believe), you can have all the money in they world, be able to do what ever you want and still be depressed / have another mental illness / have an addiction. It's a disease that has no respect for wealth.  

• Like 2

It's sad, but the reaction seems more appropriate to a true Hollywood great, which I'd argue he isn't, although he's a fine actor.

Who do you think is a "true hollywood great" {insert usual Eastwood, DeNiro, Pachino references}

There isn't a single bad PSH movie, his characters are incredibly intense and viseral. Just because he wasn't in Scarface doesn't mean you can pass judgement on what response the art community has. 

Magnolia, Capote, Almost Famous, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, The Savages, Synecdoche, New York, Mary and Max, Mission Impossible.... Really? Not a great? The only actor I can find who beats PSH in terms of ideallic supporting roles is Paul Giamatti. PSH wasn't a handsome leading man, he was never going to get the big iconic roles, but every performance he has ever given was real. THAT cannot be said for your greats who have performed like dross idiots in some movies. Oscar winner for performance means you are a Great - end of story. 

It's sad, but the reaction seems more appropriate to a true Hollywood great, which I'd argue he isn't, although he's a fine actor.

Who do you think is a "true hollywood great" {insert usual Eastwood, DeNiro, Pachino references}

There isn't a single bad PSH movie, his characters are incredibly intense and viseral. Just because he wasn't in Scarface doesn't mean you can pass judgement on what response the art community has. 

Magnolia, Capote, Almost Famous, Boogie Nights, Punch Drunk Love, The Savages, Synecdoche, New York, Mary and Max, Mission Impossible.... Really? Not a great? The only actor I can find who beats PSH in terms of ideallic supporting roles is Paul Giamatti. PSH wasn't a handsome leading man, he was never going to get the big iconic roles, but every performance he has ever given was real. THAT cannot be said for your greats who have performed like dross idiots in some movies. Oscar winner for performance means you are a Great - end of story. 

Wow, a whole lots of idiotic, baseless supposition going on there.  What exactly does "ideallic" mean by the way?

I won't dignify your nonsense with any more of a response, except to ask:

Is Colin Firth a great then?

Without going too off topic, and starting a debate about mental health (there is a thread for discussing such issues, I believe), you can have all the money in they world, be able to do what ever you want and still be depressed / have another mental illness / have an addiction. It's a disease that has no respect for wealth.  

I agree, but that's what i find most disturbing. Look at our society - we're under the impression that money and fame will cure everything - and we never reject this idea, we embrace it. I hate to say it, but this is why religion was so popular before the mass consumption of capitalist society. When people would feel sad, they were told that God loves them and they would take solice in that. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS CONCEPT. I'm an agnostic, I'm not preaching, I'm just making comment that I see some value in the positives that mass religion has. When you are born poor, born deformed mentally or physically, there is a 99.9% chance that you will carry a sadness with you your whole life -it can minor, it can be major - but it will effect every single decision you make. Greed is a product of fear, fear is a product of not understanding. "Why am in this life? Why am I this person? Why do I have desires for what I do no need to survive?" If you add all the intelligence of mankind up it still can't answer those questions difinitively, but someone thought of a way to gain power over frightened people. We use to just give our money to the churches and love and honour each other, now we give our money to corporations who offer us no solace, no comfort. Corporations wanted the churches to die so that money can truly become God, a God they can control, a God we will worship without question. Depression (imo) is the void that was created in the transition between faith and "freedom". 

Wow, a whole lots of idiotic, baseless supposition going on there.  What exactly does "ideallic" mean by the way?

I won't dignify your nonsense with any more of a response, except to ask:

Is Colin Firth a great then?

My base is that I'm an award winning director of cinema - I have studied the art an am paid to do so. I'm glad that your level of intelligence is able to judge such a castly shadow upon me - I'm idiotic because I do no agree with you and rather then discuss and use objectivity you choose to belittle and dismiss - what frightens you so? 

Idylic is the correct spelling, my mistake - a concept of an ideal situation. Ideal-lic - not a far stretch. 

Colin Firth is a great of British Cinema - remember that it's a cultural representation. Colin Firth was Mr Darcy, an iconic character that represented an era of detached disillusionment within the upper realms of high society. Plus if you've seen A Single Man, the level of discipline to portray a true ornate sadness in a film environment is remarkable. Actors have very tough roles to fill, film is start and stop, we shoot in small pieces and after 40 days we then have to link those pieces up and find the consistency in performance. For an actor to keep in the head space required when the on screen film time does not have any relation to the actual film production time - that, for me imo - is where the skill and talent of an actor is judged. 

Hopefully his death and the heroin death epidemic that is gripping the Northeast US will spur more conversation about full drug legalization. Most heroin deaths are down to the user thinking his gear is the same or similar strength to what he's used to, and it's not. There's some very strong and cheap heroin around right now. Most young people get hooked on oxycontin or other pill form opiates, but heroin is cheaper and gets you more high. So the heroin market is booming right now because of the clampdown on prescription meds and the cost of those meds on the street.

If PSH had access to a controlled dose with a government stamp on it, chances are he'd still be alive. When alcohol was banned here, I can only guess how many people died drinking moonshine.

• Like 1

ALRIGHT GUY I didn't want to go there, but you've forced my hand.

I was a PSH fan before anyone else on here so his death means more to me than ANYONE. If you disagree I will fight you. Now let that be the end of it.

I agree, but that's what i find most disturbing. Look at our society - we're under the impression that money and fame will cure everything - and we never reject this idea, we embrace it. I hate to say it, but this is why religion was so popular before the mass consumption of capitalist society. When people would feel sad, they were told that God loves them and they would take solice in that. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS CONCEPT. I'm an agnostic, I'm not preaching, I'm just making comment that I see some value in the positives that mass religion has. When you are born poor, born deformed mentally or physically, there is a 99.9% chance that you will carry a sadness with you your whole life -it can minor, it can be major - but it will effect every single decision you make. Greed is a product of fear, fear is a product of not understanding. "Why am in this life? Why am I this person? Why do I have desires for what I do no need to survive?" If you add all the intelligence of mankind up it still can't answer those questions difinitively, but someone thought of a way to gain power over frightened people. We use to just give our money to the churches and love and honour each other, now we give our money to corporations who offer us no solace, no comfort. Corporations wanted the churches to die so that money can truly become God, a God they can control, a God we will worship without question. Depression (imo) is the void that was created in the transition between faith and "freedom". 

8073-22082.gif

I watched him in the hunger games this weekend, before that I had only seen him in a couple of films and thought, was jack black busy, it may have been along came polly. didnt do anything for me as an actor.

Wow? I hadnt seen him in many films and the ones I did were sub par, so I can only reflect on the films I saw him in, so how is that wow? I can only base my judgment on that. PSH was a great great actor, his appearance in along came polly lit up the screen. Is that better?

Â