Phillip Seymour Hoffman

maqroll

1317386000_baby_on_back_seat_really_like

Calm down.

The wow was more aimed at the Jack Black comparison.

That's like comparing De Niro to Adam Sandler, imo.

To be fair, the fact that 50 First Dates didn't win an Oscar is one of life's great travesties.

• Like 2

1317386000_baby_on_back_seat_really_like

Calm down.

The wow was more aimed at the Jack Black comparison.

That's like comparing De Niro to Adam Sandler, imo.

To be fair, the fact that 50 First Dates didn't win an Oscar is one of life's great travesties.

I couldn't disagree more, it didn't deserve an Oscar...Now if it would have had Jason Statham in it then it would have cleaned up at the awards

I saw 50 First Dates at the cinema (yeah, I know) and there's a particular bit with a hefty nod to Happy Gilmore in that film.

I laughed out loud at it, but nobody else in the cinema did (I assume they'd never seen Happy Gilmore, or were too thick to get the reference). So I ended up looking like a bit of a penis

Edited by Stevo985

So unbelievably gutted.

Massive talent.

RIP.  :(

This. What a waste :( One of the very few actors I'd watch a film solely because he was in it. Terrible news.

• 4 weeks later...

Link

Actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died of an accidental overdose of a mixture of drugs including heroin, cocaine, amphetamine, and benzodiazepine, officials have said.

The Oscar winner, 46, was found dead at his home in New York City on 2 February with a syringe in his arm.

He had struggled with drug addiction and had recently acknowledged he had relapsed after being clean for years.

The New York medical examiner revealed the post-mortem results on Friday.

He was survived by his partner of 15 years, Mimi O'Donnell, and their three children.

After 23 years of sobriety, he reportedly checked himself into a drug treatment programme for 10 days last year after relapsing in 2012.

After a playwright and friend found his body in his flat in Manhattan's Greenwich Village neighbourhood, police arrived and discovered dozens of bags of heroin.

...a bit more on link

If Phillip Seymour Hoffman can win an oscar, have millions of dollars which would allow him freedom to exist outside of our slavery, and he still killed himself? Well, my own life feels pointless. 

Without going too off topic, and starting a debate about mental health (there is a thread for discussing such issues, I believe), you can have all the money in they world, be able to do what ever you want and still be depressed / have another mental illness / have an addiction. It's a disease that has no respect for wealth.  

I agree, but that's what i find most disturbing. Look at our society - we're under the impression that money and fame will cure everything - and we never reject this idea, we embrace it. I hate to say it, but this is why religion was so popular before the mass consumption of capitalist society. When people would feel sad, they were told that God loves them and they would take solice in that. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THIS CONCEPT. I'm an agnostic, I'm not preaching, I'm just making comment that I see some value in the positives that mass religion has. When you are born poor, born deformed mentally or physically, there is a 99.9% chance that you will carry a sadness with you your whole life -it can minor, it can be major - but it will effect every single decision you make. Greed is a product of fear, fear is a product of not understanding. "Why am in this life? Why am I this person? Why do I have desires for what I do no need to survive?" If you add all the intelligence of mankind up it still can't answer those questions difinitively, but someone thought of a way to gain power over frightened people. We use to just give our money to the churches and love and honour each other, now we give our money to corporations who offer us no solace, no comfort. Corporations wanted the churches to die so that money can truly become God, a God they can control, a God we will worship without question. Depression (imo) is the void that was created in the transition between faith and "freedom". 

A god we will willingly become slaves to and for

Â