• Good
    • Very Good
  3. 3. Refereeing Performance

• Very Poor
    • Poor
    • Okay
    • Good
    • Very Good

You can't expect to win if you just defend ALL of the game. Simple. Yes we were solid in the first half. But just look at the players Everton had to come on & wait for us to tire & make mistakes to capitilise. We had nobody who cud put a foot on the ball & regain any control of the game to take the sting out of it. 

I would have been happy with a point. Very happy.

It's easy enough to play 'attractive' attacking, open football and be carved open to a 8-0 slaughtering.

Today, we almost got a point from some real dogged defending. Which is also part of football.

The most annoying thing for me was, Clark didn't have to give away that free kick. You could see it was the only thing the Everton player was playing for.

Damn it.

• Like 2

Crap tactics. Can't soak up as much pressure as we did and expect to win games. We've pulled it off once or twice, but it's really tempting fate when you allow a team to have that much possession. At 1-0 up, we really need to be more careful when we have the ball. When it becomes obvious that the hoofing isn't working, yet we continue to do it, then we're really just relying on luck. Shame, as I thought that we'd be able to push on after Bacuna's goal and take advantage of their vulnerable position. 

Nevermind. Let's just hope we give Wet Spam a good hammering (no pun intended), 5 points from the bottom now and teams are beginning to creep up the table. Need to get this wins in sooner rather than later.

Please someone tell me Vlaar was injured or carrying a knock?

You'd hope so, but he didn't look to be uncomfortable in his run off the pitch. It's bound to be brought up in the interview so I guess we'll find out soon enough.

it's not just having a defensive approach at the start that gets. I understand not coming out of the gates flying high, but simply putting 9 behind the ball and praying for the best isn't a successful gameplan for 90 minutes. There should've been a tactical change to help maintain some possession and kill off a little of their momentum. I think it's time to accept that Lambert simply doesn't have the tactical nous to change the game on the fly. It shows in how we played after they scored the winner.

Ugh. So frustrating.

When you park the bus for 90 minutes and play for a draw, then there's no doubt that a very tough game is to be expected, and when you take off our captain and best defender for a winger hoping to salvage something from the game, then you might as well just forget it. Don't think Lambert had a plan B.

• Like 1

Just awful. No idea why that was the plan. No idea why Vlaar came off.

If you've no idea why Vlaar came off you really shoudnt be commenting here

Sorry, can you point to me where it is confirmed that Vlaar is injured?

Or are you just going to assume and berate anyone who might think differently.

Why the **** would PL take off Vlaar if he wasn't injured??

For the same reason he decided to emulate McLeish's tactics.

MOTM: Tidy Bertrand

Villains of the match: Ron Vlaar & the word removed ref.

Got outplayed by Everton, Villa never had a chance. Bring back possession football pls. We're being battered with this counter-attacking style of play/hoofball.

What?

why are people on here lauding the greatness of Everton, they were shocking for 90% of that game and created sod all.

yes the free kick was class, but we seem to get undone by one twos in the box so easily I think someone should explain the concept to our defence.

our inability to adjust to the fact they had the audacity to bring a forward on was incredible, you'd have thought they'd brought Messi on the way the game turned.

Do any other teams play three at the back because I always thought it was outdated in modern football?

Liverpool have a few times this season I think

I'm genuinely surprised by that, but fair enough if they have then i guess they have quality players going forward to allow that formation.

Â