2014 - a big year.

Dodgyknees

I think this year is going to be a very big year for Villa, especially for the future of the club.

Lerner - will he stay or go?

Lerner - if he stays, will the manager be backed to bring in higher quality players?

Lambert - will he stay or go?

Lambert - If he isn't backed I can see him leaving.

Lambert - If he is backed, will this be from Lerner backing him, or from a takeover.

Benteke - will he stay or will he go?

Benteke - if he goes, will this money go towards team building? We never replaced Young and Downing, Petrov or even Barry, so will this money be used to find the players to take us forward?

Benteke - If he stays, does this mean another season of bargain hunting and struggle?

Big year ahead.. I think there will be major changes, whatever happens.

I'm a little excited about this year!

PLEASE do not turn this into a Lerner/Lambert/fan bashing thread, it is just so we can discuss what might happen, we all have opinions on those in charge, they can be used in other threads.  :D

Edited by dodgyknees

I can't be arsed with another rebuild, progression season.

I hope we can make next year a year where we can attack a cup/top 6 or 7.

For that reason, I hope Lambert stays because otherwise anyone new, even Mourinho would have a get out line of this isn't my team.

• Like 1

It is certainly going to be interesting. Phase one of Lamberts job spec has been completed... reduce the wages... now we have a solid financial foundation to build on... it is a cross roads and everything depends on Lerner's ambitions.

My personal thoughts are that Lambert would never have left a job where he was adored to take a job where he'd only ever be told to cost cut, reduce wages and keep us in the league year after year... it wouldn't make sense. To me, I think he has been told 1 of 2 things...

Cut the wages, keep us in the league and Lerner will invest heavily in the team but unlike before will not buy mercenaries

OR

Cut the wages, keep us in the league and Lerner will be able to sell the club with a positive balance sheet to a new owner who will take Villa to another level

• Like 1

Theorhetically, the summer transfer window should be very interesting for us - I can see using our transfer kitty (if as per usual around the £18m to £20m mark) on only 3-4 players instead of the recent 7-8 players.

If we could add 3-4 quality players to the squad we'd be pretty decent!

I totally expect to lose Benteke though after the World Cup - hopefully we'll get top dollar for him (ie £30m+) and it'll be to a team abroad!!!!

The year is already looking interesting, in fact the next 6 weeks will really show where we will finish this season, then we have the summer and thoughts turn to what will happen... certainly makes me want the summer here a lot sooner - both for Villa and the World Cup.

If we get the £18m-£20m in the summer and Benteke does leave I would hope at least half of his transfer fee would be added to the 20m kitty.

I would hope for more than half.

When Liverpool sold Torres the money went on replacements and when spurs sold bale they didn't just spend half the fee.

When you bring a superstar into the club and sell him for big money you have to get that money spent on bringing quality in otherwise you're not progressing.

• Like 1

If we get the £18m-£20m in the summer and Benteke does leave I would hope at least half of his transfer fee would be added to the 20m kitty.

When Liverpool sold Torres the money went on replacements and when spurs sold bale they didn't just spend half the fee.

When you bring a superstar into the club and sell him for big money you have to get that money spent on bringing quality in otherwise you're not progressing.

Half the fee plus the 20m kitty id be happy enough with . You are talking £30m-£35m then.

Genk has a sell on clauses, I think. And unless Benteke ask for a transfer he will be entitled to his loyalty bonus. So out of a £20m transfer, the club will not be left with £20m to spend. Still, I would hope it's enough to pay for a replacement and a no 10.

• Like 1

Half the fee plus the 20m kitty id be happy enough with . You are talking £30m-£35m then.

But then I'd question why we're selling our best player for more money than we've ever sold any player and only spending half of it reinvesting into the club.

Surely with 'the plan' the whole point of bringing in the likes of benteke is that when they are sold for big money we can then spend it on new players. Surely that's the only way we'll compete without having an oil rich owner.

Genk has a sell on clauses, I think. And unless Benteke ask for a transfer he will be entitled to his loyalty bonus. So out of a £20m transfer, the club will not be left with £20m to spend. Still, I would hope it's enough to pay for a replacement and a no 10.

Correct.

I don't think Lerner will ever allow a £30m NET spend in one window again.  For that reason, I really hope someone takes over in the summer.  Finding someone with Villa's best interests at heart and a deep pocket is the difficult part.

I hope lots of things are happening behind the scenes because an average of 2 good games out of 5 on the pitch is really not good enough for a club like Villa. 

5 quality players needed imo.

How long is this transitional smoke screen going to last seriously

Enough talk broken promises and PR from the club we want to see progression both on and off the pitch

We have a lot of the high earners off the wage bill now its time to move forward in the summer

Lerner needs to reinvest or hand over the reigns to somebody who matches the ambitions of the fans

Edited by AshVilla

Â