Rogues Gallery

LancsVillan

On 05/01/2017 at 08:30, Seat68 said:

That is a fantastic photo Mike.

Thank you. You'll be pleased to know she's a big country music fan, particularly bluegrass. 

EDIT: See the earworm thread for Bonnie's current favourite band. The kid's got taste, I'll give her that. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

On 08/01/2017 at 14:17, lapal_fan said:

2nd cousins normally.

Not true, but a very common mistake people make (1st cousin's kids are your 1st cousins once removed).  2nd cousin is up 2 gen down 2 gen (quite a distant relative in many cases).

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

Not true, but a very common mistake people make (1st cousin's kids are your 1st cousins once removed).  2nd cousin is up 2 gen down 2 gen (quite a distant relative in many cases).

fzmzqdu46zj92varuqxj.GIF

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

fzmzqdu46zj92varuqxj.GIF

Prezakly.

4f010b7563c4a65f5ecd16000f05e37c.png

Over to cousin and down to kid is 1st cousin once removed.  Up 2 across and down on same level is 2nd cousin.  I've mostly stopped correcting people IRL about it (unless I think they would appreciate the correction) :)

The bit I find slightly lazy counter-intuitive is that the younger person is your first cousin once removed and you are also their first cousin once removed despite the older generation.  I know why it is, it's just different to most other different-level relationships e.g. uncle to nephew etc.

Anyhoo, moving on.

• Like 1

Random tidbit.

I used to get "removed" and "disowned" mixed up.

So I met a friend of a friend once, and my friend introduced them as his first cousin "once removed". I thought it was really awkward, for no reason.

• 2 weeks later...
Â