Kings of the Long Standing Name

Wainy316

Wow, great article. Lots of stuff I didn't know there, e.g. Arsenal started as "Dial Square".

It's unclear form the text whether Stoke started life as "Stoke Strollers" or "Stoke Ramblers".

But then I guess it doesn't really matter, they still ended up mediocre.

Aston Villa are the undisputed Premier League kings

How's that for selective quoting?  :)

• Like 1

What the **** are strollers and ramblers anyway?

Strollers are what Americans call push-chairs and Ramblers are people who talk for a long time without making any specific points jumping between numerous subjects...I'm a rambler.

And so are many other people on this site.

Edited by 8pints

A great read - thanks for posting.

Great pity we did not stick with Aston Villa on our badges, etc., instead of the terribly bland AVFC.

Yep, the current badge is a failure on many fronts. Why shorten the prettiest club name in the world to AVFC? Spell out the club's name, dammit. Also, if we are to market the club on an international scale, having "Aston Villa FC" on the badge is vital. Not every football fan or potential football fan automatically knows what AVFC stands for. Major branding failure by the club. Hopefully, they smarten up and redesign the thing, because besides what I already mentioned, the badge looks like a big sloppy mess.

I agree. I have always thought the present badge is awful.

The problem with the badge is they did it by comittee.

They sent out that survey to fans (I still remember filling it in) asking stuff like "Should it be round or a shield?" "Should it have a star?" etc etc

Then when they got all the answers they appear to have just chucked it all together and stamped it as finished. It didn't appear anyone actually took a step back and thought "Right, we've incorporated all the ideas that people want, but does it actually look good?"

Reminds me of this

The_Homer.jpg

Absolutely correct.

Don't you think we should change the name to Birmingham Villa though? (I am TRS-T, and I claim my own £5)

Nah I like having the longest standing name in the Premier League  :)

I wonder if there are any clubs who could get promoted and claim our title?

Also wonder who has the longest standing badge?

Â