André Green

sir_gary_cahill

Some of those things only need some improvement but his first touch worries me a lot. Still, he is only 20 so maybe composure and first touch can get better with experience.

Like the lad a lot, seems decent and humble. He is one of our own.

There will be a lot of fingers crossed as we may need him a lot more next season.

Don’t mean to be too critical, as clearly he has played his own part in a 5 match winning streak.

However, I find him extremely frustrating with his crossing.  As others have mentioned he is clearly shot of any confidence as each time he crosses it it’s poor. This then leads to him just laying the ball back instead.

at the moment his crossing is too poor to be a winger, and his control too poor to be a no.10

he needs to be told to just go all out and not be afraid of messing up.  Just keep crossing.

Smith gives a young player like Green a chance, Bree a chance, O'Hare a chance, RHM a chance...

'Nah he's rubbish' 

'He'll never make it' 

'League 1 standard'

To be honest I like to think fair's fair if they're not good enough. From what I've seen of Bree, I have serious doubts if he is or will be good enough, and he's certainly not PL standard. O'Hare and RHM I'm not sure as I haven't seen enough of them - however, I have doubts whether they are given where they are in their careers and their age now (both 20 going on 21 playing in League 2). RHM has been unlucky with injuries so don't think we can rule him out, but he isn't exactly prolific for Cambridge and really should be at that level. 

I see Green differently though. Yes, he seems to lack confidence and definitely needs to improve his crossing, but we need to remember - he's had a serious injury already which kept him out for well over a year, he was starting to shine at just 18/19 years old in the Championship and actually looked our best player before his injury. He is an exceptional dribbler in my opinion, has loads of pace, is strong and gifted physically, he is even good in the air to be fair (certainly for a winger). I just feel if he can put the hours in on the training ground and improve his final ball, he will be some player for us. And it obviously helps that he's from our Academy, as we all want our players to come through and shine, but with him I genuinely believe he can reach a very good level. 

It may well be that Green needs another loan spell somewhere. I wasn't happy that he wasn't getting in the Portsmouth team regularly, but I don't think that was any fault of his own - they were flying and it wouldn't have made sense to bed in a youngster that had just missed well over a year of competitive football. We need to find him a team that will give him the minutes to build his confidence up and show what he can do, particularly if we go up as he is not ready for PL football yet.

Can't speak for poor crosses etc as I only watched the highlights of the Blackburn game.

But in the highlights he made 2 or 3 pretty good defence cutting passes, I assume he made many errors or something not shown in the highlights?

On 18/03/2019 at 22:25, VillanousOne said:

I can't remember the last time we gave one of our youth players a proper chance since Grealish. Green and Keinan can potentially become first team players as O'Hare and RDM seemingly have a ways to go.

RDM? Roberto Doyle Murphy?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ramshackler said:

Just don't see a player in Green. Looks terrified that the ball will come to him and when it does looks to have zero confidence he can beat a man

His overall game isn't good enough. He's ok at this level, but it stops there.

12 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

His overall game isn't good enough. He's ok at this level, but it stops there.

Can't even say I agree. To me he looks like he is already playing above his level. We have a real disadvantage when he is in starting 11. Too easy to play against

Needs to learn to anticipate better and start his runs earlier, he always seems to be starting on his heals when a ball is played into the space behind the full back!

However this is an easy enough tweak to fix.  

Definitely worth sticking with as a starter for me!

• Like 1

Really want him to make it but not convinced.

Again, his poor performances have been masked because everyone else has been so good the last few games.

However in games where the margins are much finer I can;t help but think he will cost us.

That being said, extremely crucial save and assist yesterday.

Starting to think Albert might need to start over him, and Green comes on a s impact sub for energy.

As aside from energy right now it's hard to see what he offers right now.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Really want him to make it but not convinced.

Again, his poor performances have been masked because everyone else has been so good the last few games.

However in games where the margins are much finer I can;t help but think he will cost us.

That being said, extremely crucial save and assist yesterday.

Starting to think Albert might need to start over him, and Green comes on a s impact sub for energy.

As aside from energy right now it's hard to see what he offers right now.

I think you make a fair comment.....but he is still developing.

my concern with him is ball control.....he loses the ball much too easily, to forge a top class career......i am hoping he improves this.

when you are challenging in the top 6.....its important players can keep the ball, losing it regularly will lose you games.

• Like 1

He’s healthy, he’s playing, we’re winning. 

I think we’ll reap the benefits of him playing week in week out. Good player there and he’s starting to come out of his shell a bit more.

I see his shortfalls......but we have to persevere with him.

i think there is something there, but needs to improve......game time will help him.

He needs to work on individual shortfalls and improve incrementally.....if he is dedicated to it....it will come.

• Like 3

He's only 20 and has already had his progress massively held back by injuries, think under the circumstances he's done quite well, especially as he got chucked back into things quite quickly given he was recalled from his loan and thrown into what at the time was a very much struggling team.

He's young and he's a winger, two things which in and of themselves usually lead to some inconsistent performances. The worrying thing would be if he wasn't showing anything in his performances but that's clearly not been the case, so there's enough to be encouraged by with him. The last few games he's looked very dangerous early on and linked well with Elmo, but they've passed him by after a certain period and he's struggled to get back into them thereafter, hence usually being substituted eventually. As of right now I think he's very capable at this level.

• Like 2

Still looks terrified all the time.

Loses the ball a lot, does the opposite to the likes of McGinn and Grealish and will take the easy option 99% of the time instead of the right one.

Be great for him to get one early against Rotherham. One great 90 mins could really turn him round. Has no confidence.

Â