André Green

sir_gary_cahill

2 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've said it before but I just don't believe he is a winger. Even when there is space outside he always wants to cut inside, I can't recall one single occasion when he has driven forward and beat a fullback down the line. 

@sir_gary_cahill where did this kid play at youth level? He looks like someone that wants to play off a striker to me rather than on the wing. 

Agreed, there was a moment in the second half in front of the Holte where I was screaming for him to take it past the defender on the outside and drive to the byline yet he just cut in and played the safe easy 5 yard pass. 

Clearly little confidence and belief.

• Like 1

I’d summise them as follows right now. Not a lot to choose between them. I do worry our weakness in this area will come back to cost us. I do get why he’s choosing Green because at least he can improve whereas the other two can’t. If he can improve enough to be a long term player for us? Not sure at the moment, feel he’d need to improve a lot. 

Green 

Capable of a moment of magic 10%

Defensively sound - 40%

Workrate - 70%

Decision making - 30%

General Ball retention - 50%

Goal threat - 20%

General Texhnique - 40%

Kodjia

Capable of a moment of magic - 30%

Defensively sound - 20%

Workrate - 40%

Decision making - 30%

General Ball Retention - 40%

Goal Threat - 30%

General Texhnique - 50%

Adomah

Capable of a moment of magic - 10%

Defensively sound - 50%

Workrate - 50%

Decision making - 60%

General Ball Retention - 60%

Goal threat - 20%

General texhnique - 40%

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

I've said it before but I just don't believe he is a winger. Even when there is space outside he always wants to cut inside, I can't recall one single occasion when he has driven forward and beat a fullback down the line. 

@sir_gary_cahill where did this kid play at youth level? He looks like someone that wants to play off a striker to me rather than on the wing. 

I totally agree.FWIW.

I want to persevere with Andre, but not convinced he is a winger.

He clearly lacks confidence and a better touch and ball control will help that.

He needs much work on his game.

• Like 1

I can see something there but it's just not right yet. I do wish he would have more conviction to get down the line and cross, he cuts in far too much. 

Jury still out for me but Adomah is woeful so he starts regardless. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

He seems a bit hesitant to challenge players and take them on. Both cutting inside  and on the outside. You see bits off skill and magic. It's just that moment of hesitance that's holding him back. Chicken break thru the egg. Needs time.

• Like 2

Didn't have a great game but he'll have better days. Get the feeling if his first few touches are good then he'll have a good game. Very much a confidence player. Still early days for him as a starter.

He just isnt quite good enough is he, currently. Id love him to be good, but as others have alluded to, we cant have any passengers and developing players at this stage of the season. He's made to look poorer i think by how well Grealish, Whelan, El Ghazi, Mcginn etc are playing at the mo.

Bad decision making today, and he seems to lose a lot of 50 50s, and has a lot of unlucky bounces. Hopefully improves with age, strength and experience.

this is his first real proper run of matches for us and I think he just needs to build up confidence and consistency, I am happy to see him develop and switch between Adomah both starting and as a sub. 

I can't remember the last time we gave one of our youth players a proper chance since Grealish. Green and Keinan can potentially become first team players as O'Hare and RDM seemingly have a ways to go.

• Like 1

When Albrighton was the same age as Andre is now he had made 3 sub appearances for the first team. I know its in a different division but still. The jury is still out on Green and he needs to improve many aspects of his game but hes also been injured a lot and needs to build both confidence and consistency as mentioned above. Maybe he'll be a bust in the end but why some Villa fans are happy to write him off and want to sell for peanuts in the summer is beyond me....   

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, trom_borg said:

When Albrighton was the same age as Andre is now he had made 3 sub appearances for the first team. I know its in a different division but still. The jury is still out on Green and he needs to improve many aspects of his game but hes also been injured a lot and needs to build both confidence and consistency as mentioned above. Maybe he'll be a bust in the end but why some Villa fans are happy to write him off and want to sell for peanuts in the summer is beyond me....   

It still hurts me to see Albrighton playing for someone else, a player that actually wanted to play for us and we didn't give him a contract.

Well we are in the championship and he has a premier league medal. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he has been fine and will only get better. Some of the criticism of him as a player is a  bit harsh and premature in my opinion. 

He is from the academy so I expect him to be harshly criticized on here. Sure Hepburn Murphy scored a decent goal a few weeks back and people were moaning about his touch in the build up to the goal

According to whoscored he has only played 1335 in his Villa career.

Green's problem is he broke through three years ago and through injuries has never put in a run of games since.  It's not like he has been in the team for 3 years and stunk the place out.

He's 20 years old. I will start to judge him end of next season.

14 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

It still hurts me to see Albrighton playing for someone else, a player that actually wanted to play for us and we didn't give him a contract.

Well we are in the championship and he has a premier league medal. 

I always want him stay will great if he and lowton play same team, and benteke will score bucket of goals...

sad thing manager reject his demand (which is not much high- he was wanted 28-30k with very long 5 years - which i were hear) and chairman will allowed him 22.5k, manager not have a choice let him go... personal i think it is worth risk so we could better in leagues table before we go down.. and he win the champions which i am very happy he do it to proof he make right decision join right club.

funny enough MAJORITY of fan actually wanted him go before liecester and they win, they fans change tone about him, when i can see his talent great but he is one-trickey skill crosser and average dribble yet VERY WORK HARD and PASSION, he will bring more threat by cross (Hit and miss - hit first man-yet create a corner-Throw in) i want him stay as know tactical will bring win for us..... 

I wanted Peter Whittigham Stay same as him, and he left too early, he is great engine and left foot good crosser and team work, good passer too.. and I don't idea why Martin O'neill let him go too early along Gary Cahill.

anyway i back on topic about Green... 

what i see him is he is loss of confience which odd as i used be see he good at direct and dribble past one players and space free to cross and pass which he used be good with these

now he not do it as his passing is miss and hit, most time pass in turn other to pressure on us... yet we win them back, crosser is not bad devirly and his long shot was normally good yet he is seem like afraid to take open chance to shot, he decide pass indeed (wrong call many time) might it is confience issues again... i think it is pressure on him so might not us club suit him, yet it is confience issues again.. as compare to he were great players in portsmouth and make impact..  

it is look like he is in "choke in the engine which need eithier need clear or rebuild new block." once he discover his old best and he can make impact.
yet he is better that Albert in form but not Yannick (before we sent him returned to club).

we have to choice either - Albert with bad form, and bring goals with lack threat for us (or) green on good form without goal, direct threat.. to with El Ghazi in other flank.

if he carry on like this next season so think best time let him go... to find replacement in low level or give chance i forget his name b..... taylor-c......... loan walsall at currently i heard he is did brilliant might worth a looking at him.. and give him chance in summer pre-season see if he up for it so he take over green and sent him one more loan season see how he go on..

personal i think we shouldn't recall him loan...yet we was have no choice to recall him ... 

Edited by Danny_Villaman84
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Very poor in a team utterly dominating.

Almost every move breaks down when he gets the ball. He doesn't think he's good enough, zero confidence. I wonder if he might be better away from home.

It won't get easier than that first half for him. Given the ball so many times one-on-one with the full back.

We need him to score in the first minute to get something to spark because he's brought nothing forward from that Sheff Utd goal.

• Like 2

Â