André Green

sir_gary_cahill

we still seem pretty direct at youth level....perhaps SGC can put me right on that.

My only concern is that, its fine, until you come up against quality defenders who can read the game well and the direct style gets nullified.

we have seen this at First team level, when we play against quality they gobble up the loose balls like a golf ball machine.

I do like direct play at times, but if we want go anywhere decent we have to learn to keep the ball better and let the movement unhinge the opposition as opposed to the wonder pass that fails more often than is completed.

Edited by TRO

I'd much rather he loaned out young players to the lower leagues to - a] see if they can make it - and b] build up their confidence so they don't put all their stock into their first team debut and inevitably crumble under the pressure.

I'd rather Lambert play our youngsters instead of moving player's like Lowton to CH when the need arises.

I would also rather Lambert give our youth players a chance over dross like Tonev, just how this useless player has started ahead of GG is beyond me.

I'm not against loaning players out though if both they and Lambert believe it will benefit Aston Villa.

You'd rather potentially ruin a player? Don't get the logic.

Does not seem to ruin young players at other clubs.

And other clubs are increasingly giving young players their chance.

It does ruin all players obviously but it's more of a risk as I explained above - I'd rather not take that risk all things considered.

Quite possibly one of the most promising set of youngsters on the planet is time and time again turning into the biggest disappointment. I refuse to get excited by any more youngsters. If he is going to be something worth shouting about, he wont just break into the first team soon, he will actually have an impact too, which very few of our academy players do.

• Like 1

I don't understand why these threads get filled up with people saying that they refuse to get excited or complaining of the previous academy graduates failure to be World beaters. Nobody asked anyone to get excited, I suspect very few have heard this kids name before, you now know it and are aware of some of his achievements to date.

We shall see what happens from here, lighten up and let's see what happens. SGC may have made a bold prediction on when Green's 1st team debut may come, that is his opinion which you choose to trust or not.

These threads are consistently overwhelmed by negativity and discussions about anything from the 1st team manager to those academy players who have failed in the past. This is not the next Moore, Delfouneso or Messi, this is the first Andre Green who has made a terrific start to his fledgling career so far.

Sorry, but the whole OP is based around the possibility of some young kid being 'absolutely superb' - How is it not meant as an attempt to promote excitement?

Your right, its an opinion and SGC is well and truly entitled to it, but it is the same opinion we have heard over and over again about various players who turn out to be shite.

Take SGC's opinion out of the post and it is a statement of fact about a player in the academy that is a new name to most. I do understand what you are saying, but all of these threads degenerate into things that should be discussed elsewhere.

Let's all leave it like this, it is a fact the lad had done well so far, we all hope he goes on to be a Worldie in a Villa shirt. Time will tell, let's not build him up too much and if it doesn't work out, we'll look forward to and talk about the next one...

• Like 1

If in doubt read the jack grealish thread. Im sure most people on VT were doubting his ability and potential during the first 10 pages or so but now all of a sudden quite a few calling for him to be in the first team. Granted, he hasnt done it yet but I think its fair to say hes looking promising. Which is what we are originally trying to get at.

Give SGC a break man. He clearly is a great fan of this club and attends more than most regarding u18, u21 matches.

I dont agree with his opinion regarding when Andre will be in the first team but as andy has mentioned. Its his opinion.

• Like 2

I'd much rather he loaned out young players to the lower leagues to - a] see if they can make it  - and b] build up their confidence so they don't put all their stock into their first team debut and inevitably crumble under the pressure.

They get sent out in the main to improve their physical appreciation of the game and primarily in doing so don't cause situations for our first team that will result in conceding goals.

When we are flirting with the lower each echelons of the league it's no time to be learning how to deal with the physical challenge in the first team, it's such an unforgiving place.

Off with England tomorrow for games against Spain, Belgium and Denmark. Hopefully he'll play in his proper position and not at right back like in the Villa u18 side.

We are having the same issues with Bacuna and the first team.  ;)

Â