André Green

sir_gary_cahill

Adomah had a good season last time round but he's not been the same player this season, unfortunately.

Green is still learning, seems to be hungrier than Adomah (at the moment) and for what it's worth comes from the local area and is a product of our Academy, so probably understands the club and fan expectations more.

Green needs to play more games to get up to speed but as it stands he has the potential to quickly become our most dangerous winger. He's quickly getting there though, just needs to work on that final delivery.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tom13 said:

I personally think Adomah is still our best winger (not saying a lot, I know). Hope Green can make it but far from convinced yet.

I think he gives us a false sense of security.....by thinking we have 11 players on the pitch.

2 hours ago, Khizzy said:

Adomah had a good season last time round but he's not been the same player this season, unfortunately.

Green is still learning, seems to be hungrier than Adomah (at the moment) and for what it's worth comes from the local area and is a product of our Academy, so probably understands the club and fan expectations more.

Green needs to play more games to get up to speed but as it stands he has the potential to quickly become our most dangerous winger. He's quickly getting there though, just needs to work on that final delivery.

Most clubs have players that lose form and an edge comes off their game.....we have players where their form just drops off a cliff and they resemble non- league players.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BOF said:

I've thought it for a while, albeit without much evidence.  Call it a hunch.  I really believe this guy needs to be our number one left winger.  We can rotate obviously, but he should be first option.  He has so much progression still to make and yet he's already mostly on the level of the others in that position.  He's the future, and IMV quickly becoming the present too.  And it clearly means so much more to him too, which gives him an extra 10%.

His injury record is so brittle...I like him in some ways, but not sure he is a winger, doesn't really have the dribbling skills or the guile for me....more of a Che Adams type for me.

Not sure we have such a player, who can beat a man and leave him for dead....they all just pose out there, get beat and scurry back.

7 hours ago, Junxs said:

I like to get behind the kids, but I wouldn't say skill is one of his great attributes. He struggles to control the ball and beat players. He has good pace though and does track back. Has that directness you need as well, but if he's one on one with a defender I don't expect him to beat his man with skill.

I agree wholeheartedly....but isn't that the prime function of a winger?

He has plenty of ability and the potential to get more. The most important thing for me is his attitude, he's positive and on the pitch to make a difference, take chances, work hard and will not hide . For me this is enough for him to picked to start .  We need as many  players who are  hungry for the battle  on the  pitch so they can drag the others into performing .

Nothing worse than watching 4 or 5 players busting a gut while others just go through the motions .

I didn’t think he was very good in possession on Friday . But his off the ball movement was good, this helped move the Sheffield United defence around, creating space for other players. That definitely helped alter the game 

Edited by mikeyp102
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, TRO said:

His injury record is so brittle.

Well you're certainly not wrong there.  I'm hoping that's an age thing (people can develop physically at different rates), but it's definitely something to keep an eye on.  At least we have options.

Green has to start tonight, as someone else mentioned earlier he needs to become our first choice left winger now. Give the lad consecutive game time and he will improve, it's absolutely pointless playing Adomah and Kodjia there when neither will be here next season and both seem to be going backwards with their careers.

Granted some of his crosses were... different... on Friday, but with game time and 90 minute spells under his belt he will improve and his confidence will rise. He has hunger and desire that we desperately need in this team.

5 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Green has to start tonight, as someone else mentioned earlier he needs to become our first choice left winger now. Give the lad consecutive game time and he will improve, it's absolutely pointless playing Adomah and Kodjia there when neither will be here next season and both seem to be going backwards with their careers.

Granted some of his crosses were... different... on Friday, but with game time and 90 minute spells under his belt he will improve and his confidence will rise. He has hunger and desire that we desperately need in this team.

You'd expect this to happen. I guess the only reason it may not is if, worried about his injury record, they were trying to ease him into things.

On 11/02/2019 at 14:15, BOF said:

I've thought it for a while, albeit without much evidence.  Call it a hunch.  I really believe this guy needs to be our number one left winger.  We can rotate obviously, but he should be first option.  He has so much progression still to make and yet he's already mostly on the level of the others in that position.  He's the future, and IMV quickly becoming the present too.  And it clearly means so much more to him too, which gives him an extra 10%.

Totally agree with the last bit, just wish I agreed with the rest.

I was delighted for him - but also very surprised when he scored the other night, let's not paint over the fact that he'd actually been shite, he overhit two crosses significantly when put into good positions and did very little else.

I hope he kicks on, I hope he becomes a top player for us. I just fear he won't.

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Totally agree with the last bit, just wish I agreed with the rest.

I was delighted for him - but also very surprised when he scored the other night, let's not paint over the fact that he'd actually been shite, he overhit two crosses significantly when put into good positions and did very little else.

I hope he kicks on, I hope he becomes a top player for us. I just fear he won't.

Well there's a fear with any player that they won't meet [insert expectation here].  But when I talk about progression, you've got to remember Green has started one solitary game for us this season, and that was the second game of the season.  So over-hitting a cross is to be expected and it's precisely why I think he has to be in the team more, where he'll find his feet and find his range.  We won't know which of us is right until he gets a proper run in the side.

• Like 1

Â