André Green

sir_gary_cahill

27 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Well they had nothing on Pele, Maradona or Johan Cryuff 

Cant believe you just compared Green to some of the best players from the 70s! I would argue no one in our squad will ever be as good as those 4 names were, so I really dont understand your point

It's totally relevant imo - it's nothing to do with the era in which these guys played.TRO is making a valid point that Green should be displaying more than he currently is doing - age is not important really - it's all about ability. Like TRO I also want him to do well for us.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dave J said:

I would be extremely surprised if he is still here in 2 years.

Like most wide men he is very inconsistent - but when push comes to shove I don't think he is good enough - I would love for him to prove us doubters wrong and I wish him well.

Dave....I agree, he isn't good enough as present....as I have explained with my exchanges with Junxsy.

Personally, I think there is something there.

Its frustrating, because he could be so much better....I might be totally wrong but it looks like its confidence and I think he needs dedicated training/coaching.

I wouldn't give up just yet, but bear in mind I am not privvy to the goings on at BMH

Edited by TRO

I don't think he will start with Cole playing for them,  it has to be Adomah, Cole had a mare against him in our game against them this season. He was substituted at half time .

Greene is making a huge step up from a bit part player at Portsmouth. However as an impact sub his has a habit of scoring vital goals and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if he came on and scored a screamer . 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

Can't believe you are narrow minded enough to see it that way, you used his age to defend him against poor performance....what should we set the bar by Nigel Callaghan?...because he will end up that way, if we are not careful.

your second line, Jack Is in that company IMO....but under Dean, I think we will get players in to challenge that quality, so I don't get that defeatism.

My point is.....if you set the bar low, we will always be in this division.....you have to aspire.....Its not a case of criticism, its more a case of observation and pursuing perfection, why do you think the top teams are where they are, they never settle for satisfaction they strive, strive and strive.

and my other point is Age is not always a get out of jail card......plenty of young players show it early....they were just a random sample of many.....Mason Mount is only 20, Tammy something similar, some difference in terms of intensity and urgency, don't you think?

Andre Can do better than what he is giving us.....that's my point.....and incidentally, no one wants him to do the business more than me......but telling him that its all ok, when its not, is as bad as slagging him off.......he needs to drive himself to better things.

He looks to me like he wants some one on one coaching, like Jack had with Ollie Stevenson.....Andre Green should have players pooing themselves,facing him.... If he can just beat a man and cross a ball with some quality, he would be half way there., and then build on it, by perfecting technique.

He maybe already doing it, but it looks like he needs to work,work,work on his game.

Yeah I really hope he is as good as Nigel Callaghan, gosh you go from extreme to the next!

Look we all agree he isnt cutting it at the moment, but I think its more to do with form than ability. I used his age to point out that he is still learning, he has had some good games this year, he is also playing in a new position so will need time to get used to it. No one is claiming he is going to be a world class player, but a decent player like maybe Jordan Graham and Callum Robinson are. Thats why i found it odd that you brought up the who's who of 70s football as a comparison. Name me one player in our squad who was as good as Andy Gray aged 20?

You say Jack Grealish, but I remember him as a 20 year old sleeping on the streets drunk on holiday and some fans on VT actually suggesting we should get rid of him as hes never going to make it etc..

PS you should have just brought up Mason Mount / Tammy in the first place rather than Brian Little etc

Its not letting me post my reply, so the debates over .. next time gadget.. next time 

1 hour ago, Junxs said:

Yeah I really hope he is as good as Nigel Callaghan, gosh you go from extreme to the next!

look we all agree he isnt cutting it at the moment, but I think its more to do with form than ability. I used his age to point out that he is still learning, he has had some good games this year, he is also playing in a new position so will need time to get used to it. No one is claiming he is going to be a world class player, but a decent player like maybe Jordan Graham and Callum Robinson are. Thats why i found it odd that you brought up the who's who of 70s football as a comparison. Name me one player in our squad who was as good as Andy Gray aged 20?

You say Jack Grealish, but I remember him as a 20 year old sleeping on the streets drunk on holiday and some fans on VT actually suggesting we should get rid of him as hes never going to make it etc..

PS you should have just brought up Mason Mount / Tammy in the first place rather than Brian Little etc

• In an effort to get you to understand the point....clearly not working
  • Maybe you could have made an appreciation of  that, in the first place, without being too quick to say folks were being OTT, which kinda dismissed their point being made.....we all have our own degree's of making a point....nobody wants to go in to  a final with passengers or weak contributors.
  • why ?the principle still applies.....the era just gets in the way of the point....Well, for the young fans today.....Tammy would be their Andy Gray.....don't let the period of time detract from the point....just to remind you, it was about players doing the business at a young age, not making direct comparisons... comparisons of AGE

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

why ?the principle still applies.....the era just gets in the way of the point.

Well for the young fans today.....Tammy would be their Andy Gray.....don't let the period of time detract from the point.

Sorry for the multiple posts, it wouldnt let me post (so it seemed) and I had to go open my fast, so just seen all the multiple posts now 🙀 .

Tammy is doing well in what would have been the 2nd Division back then, whereas Andy Gray was winning the young player of the year and senior player of the year in the same season playing in the top flight for one of the biggest clubs in the country.. no comparison.

It doesnt detract from the point at all, you're using some of the games legends who are on a different level completely when it comes to mentality and ability. If you want to compare Tammy to someone from that era I would suggest Andy Mutch

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Sorry for the multiple posts, it wouldnt let me post (so it seemed) and I had to go open my fast, so just seen all the multiple posts now 🙀 .

Tammy is doing well in what would have been the 2nd Division back then, whereas Andy Gray was winning the young player of the year and senior player of the year in the same season playing in the top flight for one of the biggest clubs in the country.. no comparison.

It doesnt detract from the point at all, you're using some of the games legends who are on a different level completely when it comes to mentality and ability. If you want to compare Tammy to someone from that era I would suggest Andy Mutch

Oh!!! ok

lets leave it there mate.

11 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I would be surprised if Smith starts at Wembley.  

Me too. He's 48 now and wasn't great in his prime. I'd prefer him on the side line. 

I can't forget Marc Albrighton, he was never going to be a Ronaldo but his work rate and attitude is a massive positive. Who knows how Greene will develop its to early to say but if he can increase his work rate/fitness it would be a big bonus. His attitude on the surface seems good, maybe his confidence needs working on . If we go up then a loan deal would be ideal or maybe sell with a sell on clause .

I'd like us to hire a sports psychologist to work with him and Adomah for the next week or so to try to build up their confidence - they both look shot of any whatsoever. Any kind of boost we can give them is worth a try

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TRO said:

How good was ....Andy Gray,Trevor Francis, Brian Little,Gary Shaw......These guys was tearing it up at 18 & 19 never mind 20.

too many excuses......I want him to do well, but what he is showing, is well below acceptable.

He's got 2 years to show his worth.

Francis at 16 was banging them in for blues.  Mark Walters was another one that was great when a teenager. I agree Andre Green has two years to make his name but somehow I don't expect him to. Although Grealish hasn't really matured as a player under 22-23 we could all see the potential when Sherwood was manager. 

• Like 1

Â