Metal Gear Solid

villarule123

Cheers Chinders, I'm still early on in the African campaign. So far all the African missions have been far too easy. When does the game start to adapt to your play style? Although mine does vary from blasting everything in sight with grenade launchers, to silently sniping everybody with a modified tranq rifle.

Edited by Risso

If you look on the menu there's five little boxes somewhere and they go orange when the difficulty kicks in, badly explained

If you're sniping and going for head shots you'll know it's happening when they start wearing helmets, if you go gung ho they'll start wearing flak jackets, if you do all your missions at night they'll all have torches etc

Just now, villa4europe said:

If you look on the menu there's five little boxes somewhere and they go orange when the difficulty kicks in, badly explained

If you're sniping and going for head shots you'll know it's happening when they start wearing helmets, if you go gung ho they'll start wearing flak jackets, if you do all your missions at night they'll all have torches etc

That 

It starts to recognise patterns in how you play and adapts to them. I played the opening few hours heavily reliant the tranq pistol with headshots, and then slowly they started to ramp up enemies wearing helmets. Later I had a powerful tranq sniper that didn't need the headshots really, so started to go to body shots - they then started to wear body armour.

You can fight back against the though - when you open the FOB you can send squads out that 'destroy the supply lines' so for a few missions there are less helmets etc.

It never really gets hard (bar a few missions that have difficulty spikes) though.

I've unlocked Quiet now, but have found her to be a bit useless so far.  I'm guessing she becomes more use as your relationship with her becomes stronger?

She changes the way you play. She can do the scouting thing D-Dog does but not as well - she can only spot what she can see and she requires direction to work best.

But she's excellent as cover in certain missions and environments. She also unlocks a useful (if completely daft) ability to shoot your grenades in midair to ricochet them into awkward areas I used quite a bit later in the game. Once she gets a tranq sniper if your style works with using her she breaks the game in many respects. I tended to favour D-Dog over her but she was my second choice for most of the game.

Quite is easy mode, map highlight a camp, scout.

with tranq sniper you can say fire at will and the camp will be captured by the time you get there.

57 minutes ago, Risso said:

About halfway through now, and just had the boss battle with Man on Fire.  Christ, but that was annoying.

There's an astounding number of ways to beat him in that fight that I can only imagine are even more annoying.

Spoiler

You can use a Jeep to run him off a cliff, and more maddeningly, you can kill him with (minor item spoiler)

Spoiler

a water pistol, which takes forever

The flexibility in this game is fantastic.

There are more annoying missions ahead, though.

Edited by Chindie

I tried various ways, including C4ing the water towers, luring him into the water pool and shooting the water tanks in the warehouse.  The latter subdued him long enough to scarper on the chopper.

13 hours ago, Risso said:

I tried various ways, including C4ing the water towers, luring him into the water pool and shooting the water tanks in the warehouse.  The latter subdued him long enough to scarper on the chopper.

I aimed at his legs and RPG'd him in to the water pool, killed him right up.

• Like 1

On 14 February 2016 at 23:10, V01 said:

after a few missions shouting at Quiet for being useless I realised you can order her around, I walk into outposts and immediately get Heroism points for capturing it. 

I was lots and lots of fun until I got to mission 25/26 and realised I over 560 of my 1400 staff speak Kikongo, I spent more time moving them to the new platform than I did in completing the next 2 missions. 

Just got to that part. Jesus, worst bit of any game ever.

I've just unlocked the FOBs.  Do you have any choice about taking part in the online bit, ie attacking bases and being attacked in return.  Obviously I can choose not to attack anybody, but I don't like the thought that I can lose players and resources, as it just seems like a very cynical way to extort money out of people by buying coins under the microtransaction system.  All of the deployment missions takes days to complete, and so the only realistic way of completing them is to spend coins, but you can't get enough of them without paying for them it seems.

Just finished that mission where you have to defeat the skulls after your chopper crashes.  Took a couple of tries, but then realized that they couldn't get you on one of the airport roofs, so just picked them off from up there.

19 minutes ago, Risso said:

I've just unlocked the FOBs.  Do you have any choice about taking part in the online bit, ie attacking bases and being attacked in return.  Obviously I can choose not to attack anybody, but I don't like the thought that I can lose players and resources, as it just seems like a very cynical way to extort money out of people by buying coins under the microtransaction system.  All of the deployment missions takes days to complete, and so the only realistic way of completing them is to spend coins, but you can't get enough of them without paying for them it seems.

Just finished that mission where you have to defeat the skulls after your chopper crashes.  Took a couple of tries, but then realized that they couldn't get you on one of the airport roofs, so just picked them off from up there.

You have to go through the motion of setting up an FOB, but the chance of you being attacked whilst you are "low level" with the game being out for so long is pretty slim. You may get someone coming through randomly once in a while, but they aren't going to clear your base out and if you don't care about losing a few low level staff just man your FOB with crappy ranked soldiers. The one thing that is annoying though, is that your online resources get stored up at the FOB so you if you have an awful defence you run the risk of a similar level player raping you for said resources.

Just to give you an idea, i have 4 attractive (level 56+) FOBs, with each of my departments (R&D, Security etc) full of S rank or higher staff (level 100+), my FOB gets hit about once every 2 weeks at most. Once you finish the main story, there is pretty much nothing to do other than piss around with the FOB portion.

The side ops on this are extremely repetitive.  Go back to the same sodding base for the 10th time, and extract another prisoner or highly skilled soldier.  Yawn.

• 1 month later...

The repeats of the main mission bits of this in part 2 are a joke. They make no sense in the context of the game at all, and spoil what is overall a genuinely excellent game. You even get the same cut scenes saying that you have to kill somebody you took out several missions ago. Lazy.

• Like 1

In part 2, ignore everything that isn't yellow. The retread missions are just there for padding, you don't need to play them. Missions and tapes in yellow progress the story. It's possible to see the entire plot, including the secret ending, without touching them. Do everything in yellow, if nothing opens do a few side missions, and they'll slowly open new missions and tapes and cutscenes. I didn't touch the revisit missions and got the 'true' ending.

Part 2 of the story is almost entirely down to problems in the development where they rushed it out and basically turned what would have been in the older games VR missions or challenge maps into part of the game proper for no reason.

Edited by Chindie

Â