Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Ghost

I am loving this game. It's a little repetitive, but it's a good kind of repetitive.

I love how you build up little stories against certain Uruks, and when you finally take them out, it feels awesome, like you've just beaten a boss, especially if you let those Uruks progress and reach 20 Power, being invulnerable to almost everything. The way the AI remembers interactions and taunts you about previous meetings is really cool and deliciously annoying.

I think it's a bit too easy and too repetitive. I enjoy it, don't get me wrong, but I'm not in any rush to complete it and I can't help but compare it to the Arkham games (not Origins as that was shit and not Rocksteady).

Also, apologies if I'm insulting your cousins or something Ghost, but **** Ghuls. Seriously.

• Like 1

I think it's a bit too easy and too repetitive.

It's alarmingly easy, I'm not sure what type of testing they did but about 50% of the way through it your character will be overpowered. It has some nice features and is a good game overall.

Brilliant game! After the opening scene, I spotted a captain and decided to test my luck without knowing his weaknesses and strengths. Mid-battle, ended up getting ambushed by three other captains! Died, and all captains increased in battle. Also love the way they remember you from previous battles or if you've killed them, and them having the scars to prove it. Also love that if you're on your way to a main mission, you get distracted by the side missions or just killing in general. Having a blast so far.

Edited by ismail-villa
  • Like 4

This pissed me off a bit tonight.

I'm onto the point where you have to brand the War Chiefs. I was directed to the one guy I branded and then helped usurp the War Chief he was guarding in the main mission line and it told me to 'dominate' him again. It wouldn't let me and it made no sense anyway as he was already under my control. I stupidly killed him, that was my fault admittedly, but still, was this a bug or was the game just not being clear?

Then I went to brand another War Chief who I had to make appear in one of the strongholds. I was up against a good 40 or so Uruks as well as the War Chief and two of his Captains when they arrived. This War Chief has only one weakness, getting burned. I couldn't grab him to throw him into a camp fire and I couldn't use my fire arrows against him because he was immune to ranged, so what the hell could I do?

Not only this, but the little bastard got my health down in just two spear throws and had an ability called 'No Chance' meaning I didn't have the QTE to save myself when my health got down low. I got killed twice before I finally got him, and the way I did it was **** ridiculous.

I constantly stunned him into a wall. It took a fair while as it only chipped away at a tiny part of his health each time, but then he ran like a wimp. I kept up with him but he got to an open space so I had nothing to stun him into. I think stunning does a bit of damage itself though because eventually he went to his knees and effectively surrendered so I could brand him.

Seriously though, what an absolute ball ache and a shite bit of game design. Really annoyed me.

Oh, and Designer, can you stop dying? I swear there's a new revenge mission on my map every time I load up the game ;)

EDIT - Just completed it. On the ending:

What a load of utter balls. Not only the fact that we got a particularly short and shitty QTE for a final boss fight (I ****ing hate QTEs at the best of times), but the ending made very little sense.

I guess they want to make this into a franchise which is understandable, but that ending felt rushed and pointless. So Talion and Celebrimbor still survive and now they're off to go forge a new ring? Well, I guess we all know how that turns out.

I can't help but think they wasted a really good opportunity here. There is so much lore and history that they could have explored. They could have gone much further back in the LOTR timeline and really delved into some fantastic stuff mentioned in The Silmarillion.

The story and ending sums up my overall feeling toward the game. Too easy, some good ideas but poorly implemented and overall pretty disappointing.

Edited by Ginko

Whenever a shitty Uruk manages to kill you or a captain kills you (and they get promoted and get better) you want revenge. Especially when they take the piss 'cause of the last time they killed you. When killing them you get a big smile knowing that that bastard is dead. Awesome game.

Edited by ismail-villa
  • Like 1

Well quite a number of times after killing them they come back, as you have to decapitate their head to ensure that they are properly dead, but you can't really control that as far as I'm aware. I enjoy it tbf, seeing them come back for morr baring their scars of the last battle, making sure that they wasted their time in trying to kill me again.

Finding it impossible to brand Warchiefs, it's just not fun constantly pressing X or Triangle for 20 minutes and getting nothing at the end of it. The captains stay close to the Warchief and when there's 4 of them by him I can't even get close to branding them.

Finding it impossible to brand Warchiefs, it's just not fun constantly pressing X or Triangle for 20 minutes and getting nothing at the end of it. The captains stay close to the Warchief and when there's 4 of them by him I can't even get close to branding them.

Has anyone managed to get past the stage where you have to brand five Warchiefs?

On that now and it's goddamn tough.

Yeah...

best thing to do is to take their bodyguards out if they have any and then when you're fighting everyone, build your combo up bashing some of the other Uruks. Then unleash your XO Power on to the War Chief.

If they are susceptible to stealth branding, it's worth going that route,

If they are combo masters, give them a few wraith stuns and that'll get them down to green and they'll be easier prey.

One of the Warchiefs I did, I killed by mistake but I'd branded one of his bodyguards who then took his place and it counted...

tumblr_moqd6lZalm1qbnleeo1_400.gif

One thing I'd add now thinking about it.

Branding as many Uruks as possible when trying to get to the Warchief helps too, the numbers balance out and it gives you more time and space to focus on the Captain's and the Warchief

If this is the part of the game I'm thinking of...

... I think the easiest way of doing this is to kill/brand their bodyguards, and have one of the branded bodyguards target the warchief. You can then attend the mission where your dominated bodyguard attacks the warchief (which is normally somewhere quiet and isolated and if you have killed/dominated all their bodyguards, they're alone), and once you kill him the bodyguard should take his place meaning you've got a branded warchief). I used this technique on all of them I think.

Edited by Chindie
  • Like 1

If you get their health down low and then hit them with normal strikes and avoid execution moves, they usually drop to their knees and it gives you the option to kill them or dominate them. The only one I had trouble with was the guy I mentioned a few days ago who only had one weakness.

As for branding other Uruks to help you out, it's helpful to begin with, but the first time I tried it one of my branded Uruks killed the War Chief when he was low on health... which was NOT nice.

• 1 month later...
Â