The Connected Home

mykeyb

Hive window door sensor

Hive Window or Door Sensor

Use the self adhesive pad enclosed with your pack and attach the larger wireless sensor to your window or door and the smaller sensor to the frame. If your window or door is open or closed, Hive will send an alert to your mobile, tablet or laptop.

Hive motion sensor

Hive Motion Sensor

Our wireless Motion Sensor uses infra-red technology to detect motion in your home. You can choose to receive alerts to your mobile, tablet or laptop. Easy to install, just place on a surface or use the self adhesive tape to attach to the corner of a wall.

hive-plug-large-a2c5242ad3f68b9d1c4620dc

well, I've managed to make a horlicks of the cut n paste - but you get the idea, pretty basic tech really, nothing that didn't already exist - plugs fire up the lamps (plug cost more than the lamps!) there are now bulbs you can control and even dial in different colours on your phone.

Trusted Reviews have done a comparison, it's not a great review, but it does make the point that the Hive hub is battery operated so you can stick it anywhere and there are no cables. 

Trusted Reviews

How are you finding the Door Sensor?

I have the Samsung Smartthings version and its the one bit of the kit that doesnt work well.

Motion sensor and plug socket work fine but the door sensor works Ok for a few days and then either says the door is open when it plainly isnt or the door is shut and hasnt been open for a week. The battery indicator continually says its at 88% charge too.

Nowhere near reliable for home security purposes.

My z-wave controller is shipping soon. (Kickstarter)

Anyone used the z-wave stuff much? I'm using it to replace my x-10 gear and again I've chosen something which isn't stuck in a supplier silo.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope nobody here owned a Revolv, because Nest are turning it off.And they didn't bother contacting customers, whose email addresses they definitely had, because you need it to login to their hub. So hopefully all of the customers regularly check the Revolv website.

Not just no longer not updating it, they're turning off the servers, and leaving you with what was an expensive piece of hardware, that's now a paperweight. Don't worry though, they waited until a year after they sold the device, to make sure it's out of its warranty.

I almost bought a Nest product a few weeks ago, I'm glad I didn't, I forgot my golden rule that if something doesn't work when the company stops supporting it, you don't own it.

We're shutting down Revolv.

Revolv was a great first step into the connected home. It wasn’t perfect, but we worked hard to make something we - and other smart people - could build on.

And it worked. In 2014, we were bought by Nest and the technology we made became an integral part of the Works with Nest platform. Now Works with Nest is turning into something more secure, more useful and just flat-out better than anything Revolv created.

So we’re pouring all our energy into Works with Nest and are incredibly excited about what we’re making. Unfortunately, that means we can’t allocate resources to Revolv anymore and we have to shut down the service. As of May 15, 2016, your Revolv hub and app will no longer work.

Thank you for your support and believing in us. We’re sad for the end of Revolv, but this isn’t the end of the connected home. This is the beginning.

- Tim & Mike

Edited by Davkaus

Do no evil

Google owner Alphabet’s subsidiary Nest is closing a smart-home company it bought less than two years ago, leaving customers’ devices useless as of May.

In 2014, Google acquired Revolv, the maker of a £210 hub which could be used to control devices such as lights, alarms and doors.

The company was merged in with the wider team at Nest, Google’s smart home subsidiary, and it immediately stopped selling its flagship device.

Nest implied that the acquisition was focused on bringing the Revolv team into the company, rather than acquiring the product or users, with the company’s co-founder, Matt Rogers, telling Re/Code at the time that: “We are not fans of yet another hub that people should have to worry about. It’s a great team, an unbelievable team. There’s a certain amount of expertise in home wireless communications that doesn’t exist outside of these 10 people in the world.”

The company’s technology was integrated into Nest’s own smart-home platform, Works with Nest. Even so, few expected the announcement that the smart hubs that they had bought would be entirely disabled less than two years later.....  This move by Google opens up an entire host of concerns about other Google hardware. Which hardware will Google choose to intentionally brick next? … Is your Nexus device safe? What about your Nest fire/smoke alarm? What about your Dropcam? What about your Chromecast device? Will Google/Nest endanger your family at some point?”

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've had an e-mail this morning to tell me the batteries in my remote thermostat are running low.

Fair play to Hive, it's verging on the idiot proof. But I'm sure I can defeat it.

• 2 months later...

I'm unsure if there is already a topic relating to home technology but thought I would start one anyway. I'm starting it as I'm looking at the Amazon Echo and Echo Dot. They both sound quite interesting, allowing for voice control of music and home equipment (such as lights etc). I realise this kind of technology is big already over in China and Japan. Do any of you use anything like the Amazon Echo? Or are any of you interested in it?

They do look very good but I think I will wait an see next month what the Google version is like and then make a decision.

If you are a Amazon prime customer however they are offering a big discount if buy before a certain date, its quite a small window of opportunity from memory.

Â