Your Favourite Restaurants

omariqy

Food is a bit meh as far as I'm concerned.. It's just something you have to do

But to answer the question ...I guess by definition that I've eaten there the most it would have to be the Wong Kei in soho

Rude waiters , plastic bowls and chopsticks , wallpaper hanging off the walls in places

But cheap and decent food and you are in and out fairly quickly .. The bill arrives before you've finished eating ... None of this wait around for 20 mins for a bill just because it's deemed to be respectable malarky

Yeah I'm a philistine .. But so what :)

• Like 2

Las Iguanas

that new place thats opened on broad street coast to coast isnt bad either

After not being able to get a burrito without cheese because it was "packed that way already" I won't ever go back to Las Iguanas.

Individual

Beluga - Maastricht

The Oak Room at the George - Stamford

Rules - London

The Hambrough - Isle of Wight

Shish Mahal - Glasgow

Chains:

Gauchos - Netherlands, seating is a bit tight but always guaranteed a decent piece of meat, always perfectly cooked.

Fogo de Chao - Sao Paulo and various U.S. cities. Pricey Churrascaria, but always reminds me of Brazil (when I am in the U.S.)

Unfortunately nothing in Brum jumps out at me.

I've been lucky enough to have a few freebie meals around the place.

Miyami is a Japanese restaurant in poshest London that I loved when we visited, we had our own chef at a horse shoe shaped table where he had a hot plate and cooked for us, in front of us and it was just so fresh it was mind blowing.

On the other end of the scale, my go to Indian is The Agra off Tottenham Court Road, it's been there owned by the same family since the 1930's, it's cheap and cheerful and quite shabby. But lovely tastey cheap food.

In Cardiff (or Penarth to be precise), Puerto's down on the Marina is excellent for fresh fish and good steak. Bit naive the first time I went there, I looked at all the various fish steaks and fillets but ended up selecting the gigantic yellowtail snapper. I'd presumed it was whole because nobody had had any yet. No, it was being sold as the whole fish, it was £30 (ten years ago). It was agreed with the guy hosting the evening that if I ate it all he paid, if I left any, I paid. It all went.

In Malta, Rubino in Valletta just might be, in my oik opinion, the best restaurant on earth. I once managed to become a regular, I knew I was a regular because I was sat at the bar one evening having a glass of wine when quite a few people came in. It's only a small place and the owner turned and shouted, 'hey Chris, if you're eating get to a table, we're about to fill up with **** Germans'. Rabbit stew was his thing and it was warm sticky loveliness.

Elsewhere in Malta, there are some truly excellent fish restaurants, in Marsaxlokk we block booked a restaurant and the guy who was organising and paying for the evening told the chef and owner that they had to think this was an international food competition and they had to try and win it and he'd pay them whatever it was at the end. It was a big headed crass thing to do but the food was just astounding. Dozens of taster dishes that just kept coming with different wine courses, rests then more food. At the end of the evening all the kitchen staff came out and had a drink and a cigar (all on the same bill).

Other than that, Boofy's chip shop and Marco's caff on Barry Island seafront are great and the Bulldog Cafe in Cardiff Market does awesome faggots and peas.

When I'm in Sittingbourne or Sheerness, I tend to just get a sandwich from Asda (that's not true, I go to Curry Queen, which is crap).

ooh, one more decent place to eat that really does do good food at, er, cheap rates is the Clink Restaurant in Highdown. Blunt plastic cutlery and no alcohol and they search you on the way in. But the food is genuinely very good. You leave when they say you can leave.

couldnt disagree more, i love eating, i love finding new restaurants and new food hence i especially love eating while on holiday, my favourite part of vegas was the food and the number of good quality restaurants (and i did a lot)

you've surprised me, i would have thought as someone who travels as much as you do you'd enjoy stuff like that

I like eating but I'm not going to spend a good deal of money on it.

The restaurant 'scene' is just another bullshit status thing.

Only if somebody goes just to be seen, but plenty of people spend plenty of money because they love top class dining.

I like eating but I'm not going to spend a good deal of money on it.

The restaurant 'scene' is just another bullshit status thing.

Only if somebody goes just to be seen, but plenty of people spend plenty of money because they love top class dining.

it's down to what you choose to spend your spare money on

Personally, I don't smoke, I have no recreational drug thing and I rarely drink. I don't buy £75 training shoes for walking around town and I'm not really that bothered any more if my jumper says Pringle or Asda on it. My personal view on a right royal waste of money? Computer games and sci fi films. My nipper thinks a £70 ticket to a comic book convention is great value. I can see the attraction, for just £70 you too could queue in line to see the extras from the last but one Star Trek movie talk about special effects. For an extra £15 they'll even autograph your photo of them you bought for £15. Personally I can think of much more fun I can have with £100. But each to their own.

• Like 1

couldnt disagree more, i love eating, i love finding new restaurants and new food hence i especially love eating while on holiday, my favourite part of vegas was the food and the number of good quality restaurants (and i did a lot)

you've surprised me, i would have thought as someone who travels as much as you do you'd enjoy stuff like that

I'll always try to eat local when I'm away, I don't goto Asia and find a KFC for example but I'm just not into food in that way ... ( I also order the local beer rather than some imported American / Aussie / English stuff )

I've done the Heston and Gordon Ramsey stuff in London / Chelsea and tbf the food was amazingly good and I ate stuff I never thought i would eat

But ultimately If I had to chose between a Chinese or posh food I'd go for the Chinese ..

( In Vegas I ate at the buffet in Freemont and the heart attack grill , also on freemont :) )

• Like 1

Had a really good meal at Cafe Murano (London) last week - great proper Italian food, good atmosphere, not ridiculously priced. Notable mentions also to Opera Tavern, Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (although ££££) and the Polpo group of restaurants.

Â