Alan Shearer on Suarez Penalty

smetrov

On balance there have worse penalty decision - as a villa supported I don't think Guzan touched him.....I seen on a liverpool site that 40% of liverpools fans think he dived -......whatever its done....

However where Did Alan Shearer get 'Guzan Took him with his leg' from ? - that was never up for debate.....? an Idiotic comment......what ate these pundits paid for??

• Like 1

Best advice is ignore everything Shearer says, pretty much the worst pundit out there. I'm not sure why TV execs have an obsession with employing ex players as pundits and commentators, Neville aside they are generally pretty poor and only seem to point out the obvious and Shearer is the absolute worst for it.

• Like 2

I think he dived and could have stayed on his feet when Guzans knee touched his foot but I recon we would be calling for a penalty if it was up the other end. It's not the biggest injustice I've seen and goes down as one of those things that happens in football for me. 

Suarez is definitely a prick though. 

Alan Shearer: "I think it is a penalty. I think you've got to give the benefit of the doubt to Suarez there. I know he's gone down too easy at times. 

'If Guzan's going to be silly enough to come rushing out like that on a wet pitch, sliding out. What is Suarez expected to do here? Is he meant to jump over him and get out of the way and hurdle out of the way, so he doesn't make contact with him?

'Part of a forward's job is is when you're racing towards the ball with a goalkeeper, part of your job is to try and get there first and toe poke the ball past him. Then the keeper's got a problem. Because once the keeper goes down, he's not in control of his body."

Yes. Suarez can easily jump over him and still be in control of the ball. What a bloody stupid point. To think, he got paid for all that. He anticipated the dive and deliberately conned the referee. Ashley Young does the same thing. It's not just about diving theatrically under minimal contact, it's about players willing to throw their bodies into players to simulate contact. It's worse than diving.

Lee Dixon ‏@LeeDixon2 16h
@StanCollymore no pen for me sucked the keeper off the line. Got the touch. Then stated to go down. Pre meditated dive. IMO

didnt shearer also say that guzan didnt pull his arm away?

shearer was an idiot last night, but MOTD in general didnt cover themselves in glory

lineker was an absolute bell end on twitter all evening, all 3 of them nodded and said yeah thats a penalty rather than trying to have a debate, then the "thats your prerogative" bullshit, they didnt even try and show / discuss suarez's form for diving

still havent got round to watching goals on sunday, but MOTD is now ridiculously far past its sell by date and i dont see how it can claw it back without a complete overhaul

• Like 1

The referee gets one chance so you can not blame him and I have to admit I thought penalty at first but having seen replays I am certain he dives.

Agreed. In summary:

I thought it was a peno at first viewing

Ref gave it and couldn't really blame him based on what he would have seen

Guzan was stupid to even go in for that challenge

HOWEVER Suarez did dive. It was cheating. It was opportunistic, I agree that there's plenty of others who would have gone down, but it's still cheating.

• Like 3

This is why football definitely needs video referiing, it takes just 10-30 seconds to get info to the ref.

i think the opposite, i think this is why video refs wont work

if shearer or lineker was the video ref for example...

I see your point. But referees follow the laws of the game. Pundits talk utter crap and get it wrong over 50% of the time. 99% of referees would agree upon one decision if given the clear facts of the scenario. I used to referee and we would discuss these sorts of things in meetings.

I agree there is still scope for differing opinion but the referees need help now that players are so good at diving. It's impossible to call in a split second

• Like 1

Alan Shearer: "I think it is a penalty. I think you've got to give the benefit of the doubt to Suarez there. I know he's gone down too easy at times.

'If Guzan's going to be silly enough to come rushing out like that on a wet pitch, sliding out. What is Suarez expected to do here? Is he meant to jump over him and get out of the way and hurdle out of the way, so he doesn't make contact with him?

'Part of a forward's job is is when you're racing towards the ball with a goalkeeper, part of your job is to try and get there first and toe poke the ball past him. Then the keeper's got a problem. Because once the keeper goes down, he's not in control of his body."

Yes. Suarez can easily jump over him and still be in control of the ball. What a bloody stupid point. To think, he got paid for all that. He anticipated the dive and deliberately conned the referee. Ashley Young does the same thing. It's not just about diving theatrically under minimal contact, it's about players willing to throw their bodies into players to simulate contact. It's worse than diving.

Lee Dixon ‏@LeeDixon2 16h

@StanCollymore no pen for me sucked the keeper off the line. Got the touch. Then stated to go down. Pre meditated dive. IMO

Its funny how strikers and defenders see it differently.

The referee gets one chance so you can not blame him and I have to admit I thought penalty at first but having seen replays I am certain he dives.

You're right and I don't blame the referee for that, I blame Suarez for setting out to deliberately con the referee.

(Although the ref was poor overall, can't blame him for the pen).

• Like 1

Â