Lord McAlpine

privateer

Or not if the allegedly defamatory stuff was true, a la Savile. Looks nothing like a nonce to me. Honest.

BREAKING NEWS: Senior Tory Lord McAlpine who was wrongly caught up in child abuse scandal has died in his Italian home at the age of 71
article-0-024C907E00000514-597_306x423.j
icon_camera_90x68.png+4

'Peaceful death': Lord McAlpine's family announced that he had died at home

Former Conservative Party deputy chairman Lord McAlpine has died, his family has announced.

Lord McAlpine, 71, was previously an aide to Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher.

He died last night in Italy, his family said.

In a statement, they said: 'It is with great sadness that the family of Lord McAlpine announce his peaceful death last night at his home in Italy.'

The former political adviser and businessman was recently wrongly implicated in a child abuse scandal, when allegations were the subject of a BBC investigation.

The allegations forced the corporation's then-director general, George Entwistle, to quit the role in November 2012 less than two months into taking it, saying that as editor-in chief he had to take 'ultimate responsibility' for a Newsnight investigation that had led to Lord McAlpine being wrongly accused of child abuse.

The BBC was also forced to apologise and issued a statement after abuse victim Steve Messham admitted that the man who abused him in the 1970s and 1980s was not the peer.

Lord McAlpine of West Green found himself at the centre of a storm of internet speculation after Mr Messham told BBC2's Newsnight he had been abused by a senior Conservative from the Thatcher era when he was a teenager at a north Wales children's home.

The peer was wrongly accused by some of being a paedophile.

article-2541709-0020055E00000190-923_306

article-2541709-00D748CC00000190-57_306x

Senior Conservative: Lord McAlpine, pictured left in 1998 and right in 1979, rose to the rank of deputy party chairman

Solicitors for Lord McAlpine indicated that they were preparing to sue for defamation, saying their client's reputation had been left in 'tatters' as a result of the programme.

An investigation into the programme by the BBC Trust later said members of the team failed to follow the corporation's own editorial guidelines.

The Tory grandee later received damages from a string of internet users - including Sally Bercow, wife of Commons Speaker John Bercow, and comedian Alan Davies - as a result of the defamatory messages on Twitter.

Ms Bercow agreed to pay former Lord McAlpine £15,000 in damages for her infamous 'innocent face' tweet, which was posted at the height of the allegations.

The court also ruled that Mrs Bercow must apologise if she ever returned to Twitter. At present her account only has one post, which reads: 'I have apologised sincerely to Lord McAlpine in court – I hope others have learned tweeting can inflict real harm on people’s lives.’

Actor Davies also paid damages after he retweeted a post to his followers which linked the peer's name to a television report about a 'senior political figure who is a paedophile'.

Prime Minister David Cameron said Lord McAlpine, whose death was confirmed today, was a 'dedicated supporter of Margaret Thatcher and the Conservative party'.

Can we discuss the allegations on here? From what I've read he had nothing to do with that abuse but I can see why he was mistakenly linked.

Well, that's for the mods but he's dead and can't litigate now. I'm sure Frau Bercow wish it had happened a few months ago. It would have saved her £50k.

It will be interesting to see if it gets Savilesque now he's gone. I'll refrain from posting anything further until the mods make a judgement.

Feel free to post anything that you can prove. Feel free to discuss things published elsewhere (with links and quotes of the original). Do not post speculative nonsense based on what he looks like or what your mate in the pub said.

In the 1990s an article was published by Scallywag magazine naming McAlpine as one of a ring of people engaged in paedophile activity.  He did not sue.

The magazine later went bust as a result of a libel action by John Major, the mag having wrongly alleged that Major was having an affair with a caterer.  Some may think this ironic, as Major was shagging the arse off the lovely Eggwina.

The McAlpine story wasn't published on the internet, it being 1994, but many sites have published photos of the original article, for example here.

McAlpine was however not the senior Thatcher-era Tory referred to by Tom Watson in the HoC as being heavily involved in paedophile activity.  Nor was he the senior tory with the distinctive birthmark in the groin area who was referenced in witness statements by other abused kids.  Nor was he the former Cabinet member who is apparently soon to be arrested.  I don't know if that is the same former Cabinet minister which the Sunday Mirror stated was shown on camera at a child sex session.

BeRYpdiIIAABK1H_zpse18f431f.jpg

I thought we'd heard the last from Tebbit after the death of the evil witch but the BBC have dragged him out to talk about the passing of this nonce.

A fine example of how prejudice blinds people.

Really my prejudice against kiddy fiddlers is blinding me. What is it blinding me against exactly?

I thought we'd heard the last from Tebbit after the death of the evil witch but the BBC have dragged him out to talk about the passing of this nonce.

A fine example of how prejudice blinds people.

Really my prejudice against kiddy fiddlers is blinding me. What is it blinding me against exactly?

It has been pretty much made clear in the media that he wasn't a 'nonce', unless you know something different?

I therefore assumed that your general dislike of Tories led you to referring to him as such.

If you are correct, then I will be the first to apologise and withdraw my comment.

• Like 1

Â