The UnHoly Trinity

VillaAndLoyal

I was going to stop reading partly because I could see it was going to turn into a MON hate fest when I have little against the man. Then faulkner apparently appointed him which is wrong, Doug did. THEN it states we signed Ashley Young in the summer, and maloney, which is wrong, and then he states young was an experienced premier league player?! Yannick Sagbo is as experienced as Young was.

I can see good points made but research the facts better

• Like 3

I also thought it was rubbish. He described the season under houllier as excellent.

He went one further than that. He described it has an excellent season on limited resources. Best part of 30 mill on two players in fees and around 150k a week in wages on two permanent signings and three loans is not usually described as limited resources.  Also the words excellent and a manger with a league record of 33 points from 28 league games don't usually go together.

Aside from the above though I thought it was the biggest load of bollocks I have ever read.

• Like 4

When a hit piece is rooted in inaccuracies, to me it demontsrates what I think happens. Results are bad for a while, and people start looking for anyone and everyone to blame even if they have to twist facts to blame preselected targets.

• Like 3

Faulkner joined Villa after MON was made manager, did he not? Because MON became manager before Lerner bought the club...

Based on that alone, I stopped reading the article, because the rest is likely as ill-researched and ignorant as that key faux pas

Wasn't Fitzgerald at the club before Faulkner?

• Like 1

In the quarter finals, they were drawn against CSKA Moscow, then an impressive, fast-paced team with claims on the trophy. Villa drew 1-1 at home, an insipid display which nevertheless gave them a fighting chance in the return leg.

It was amongst the freezing snow and wind-lashed ice of Moscow that the O'Neill reign unravelled. Pleading a key weekend League match at home to Stoke, the manager sent out a half youth, half reserve team in one of the most hostile environments in European football. The youngsters, to their credit, only lost 2-0, but for many fans, the defeat was far greater off the pitch. This, after all, is a tea that relishes past glories, a team that, in the summer of 1982, lifted the European Cup on a balmy night in Rotterdam. For a Villa team, then, to treat European competition with such arrogant disdain was for many a appalling betrayal of the club's heritage. Had O'Neill's decision carried the club into the Champions League, it may have paid off. Instead, the rested Villa team drew anemically with Stoke, and the hangover continued, as the drive for a top four place capitulated amongst a sea of finger-pointing and recriminations.

This wasn't the end of it. In a tacit admittance of wrongdoing, the club took the extraordinary step of laying in a lavish free meal for all 300 supporters who had travelled to witness the Moscow fiasco. O'Neill, never a man given to explaining himself, much less apologising, gave an extraordinary speech. He raged against anyone, from chairman to supporter, having the temerity to question him on football matters. It bore the astonishing claim that he had never once made a poor sale or purchase in the transfer market, and it betrayed a man in need of greater autocracy than Aston Villa could ever provide. Surely no supporter present that night could have been remotely surprised to hear of his resignation the following August.

Another couple of factual errors that haven't been mentioned:

There was no UEFA Cup quarter final in Moscow. It was a third round (round of 32) match.

O'Neill did not resign the following August (August 2009). He resigned in August 2010. The whole 2009-2010 season has been edited out of the narrative.

Here's a thought you might want to pass on to your blogging mate:

Media Studies Course, Week 1, Lesson 1. 

If you are trying to be controversial, get your facts right. Otherwise, your argument will be torn limb from limb by a pack of wolves bearing factual corrections.

• Like 2

Anybody remember Richard Fitzgerald?

Yes - But Falkner was definitely at the club before him and was part of the "team" during the takeover bid. A couple of days after the takeover a couple of us here, and elsewhere had conversations with him about AVFC and the plans for the future.

He wasn't in CEO position though.

Faulkner....is the one who oversaw the MON era, authorised the spend. ....I still believe Lerner runs the finances (being a banker) but employed Faulkner to oversee all footballing issues which was at the time and still is way above him!!!

There's something of a lack of consistency in your argument, there.

The fact that Faulkner is doing a good job is absolute bull. He is the one who oversaw the MON era, authorised the spend. Now he is cleaning up the mess, "he" played a huge part in.

stopped reading at this point. if going to troll should get your facts right :P nearly as laughable as you hope we are in a relegation fight

i smell a sha fan

Anybody remember Richard Fitzgerald?

Yes - But Falkner was definitely at the club before him and was part of the "team" during the takeover bid. A couple of days after the takeover a couple of us here, and elsewhere had conversations with him about AVFC and the plans for the future.

He wasn't in CEO position though.

Interesting, I didn't know that.

The fact that Faulkner is doing a good job is absolute bull. He is the one who oversaw the MON era, authorised the spend. Now he is cleaning up the mess, "he" played a huge part in.

stopped reading at this point. if going to troll should get your facts right :P nearly as laughable as you hope we are in a relegation fight

i smell a sha fan

Hardley a Sha fan chap. I mean who is these days. Anyway, to sum it up, im not sure how people think Faulkner is doing a great job with all the mess at the club, he is CEO. Apart from the owner, he is the charge hand!!!

• Like 1

Â