The Best Villa Finisher Ever?

villa-revolution

The wonderful Calypso Yorkie bar... I loved him, like a brother...

Then he turned all sithy and went to Yanited.

And when he returned to VP with Blackburn in that FA Cup game and grinned into the Holte End. If I had a gun, I would have shot him.

2nd - my darling David Platt (not the greasy little tosspot from Coronation Street either).

Gary Shaw.

Because he just seemed to find the space, no matter the class of opponent.

Platty was very good too, as was Andy Gray the first time, Peter Withe (who no one has mentioned, bizarrely), Yorkie and Benteke (until just recently, just a dip, though). Dion was decent, too. as v-r said, JPA when he was hot, too.

But Gary Shaw.

In my lifetime of watching Villa there have been two great finishers that have played for us Gary Shaw and David Platt.

We talk about our young players nowadays but Gary Shaw was 19 in our championship year. We've never had a better young player. So unfortunate with injuries. 

• Like 3

19... I was speaking to him the other day.....17 when he had his debut according to him.

young and hungry ours are c 20-22 and we are still waiting to see something.

Left for Canada in early 1977 so the last time I remember watching them at Villa Park, it was Andy Gray and Brian Little banging them in.

I think the last game I was at, was either Newcastle or Borough.

Cheers

That Villa team of 77 was the best attacking team I have ever seen, especially at home. Gray, Little & Deehan were phenominal that season & if it hadn't of been `Budgie` in goals we could easily have won the league that season.

Left for Canada in early 1977 so the last time I remember watching them at Villa Park, it was Andy Gray and Brian Little banging them in.

Cheers

That Villa team of 77 was the best attacking team I have ever seen, especially at home. Gray, Little & Deehan were phenominal that season & if it hadn't of been `Budgie` in goals we could easily have won the league that season.

I know right?

Cowans was awesome as well.

Left in early Jan.77 so that was cruel for me. Burridge yeah. Didn't we have Spink then?

Edited by CanVillan

Cheers

I know right?

Left in early Jan.77 so that was cruel for me. Burridge yeah. Didn't we have Spink then?

No. Burridge was replaced by Jimmy Rimmer the following season. One of the best ever £ for £ signings Aston Villa (Saunders) ever made. Spink eventually took over from Rimmer most notably in our greatest game ever, though Spinky had played against Forest in late 81 deputising for the injured Rimmer.

Cheers

I know right?

No. Burridge was replaced by Jimmy Rimmer the following season. One of the best ever £ for £ signings Aston Villa (Saunders) ever made. Spink eventually took over from Rimmer most notably in our greatest game ever, though Spinky had played against Forest in late 81 deputising for the injured Rimmer.

Thanks for that.

The coverage here was dismal at that time. But now, we get pretty much all games, and some of the pundit stuff.

I do remember standing in the Holte End when Villa would score, then that big push forward...Good old days eh?

Cheers

Cheers

I know right?

Thanks for that.

The coverage here was dismal at that time. But now, we get pretty much all games, and some of the pundit stuff.

I do remember standing in the Holte End when Villa would score, then that big push forward...Good old days eh?

Cheers

Yes CanVillan, those certainly were the good old days & I'm glad to know we were both lucky enough to experience them.

Cheers.

Cheers

I know right?

Thanks for that.

Cheers

Yes CanVillan, those certainly were the good old days & I'm glad to know we were both lucky enough to experience them.

Cheers.

Me too, thanks.

Just realized it's late for y'all (assuming you are there) Hope we turn it around re. 'getting to know the ball a bit better' this season.

Cheers

Â