The Best Villa Finisher Ever?

villa-revolution

I've been watching Villa since 89...I would go for Benteke. Some if his finishing in the last 18 months has been unbelievable. Dwight was a better all round player and was in a much much better team getting more chances, but an out and out finisher I would go with the big man.

The goals scored vs games played has Billy Walker with 244 goals from 531 appearances, Pongo with 167 from 226, Eric Houghton with 170 from 392, Harry Hampton with 242 from 373, John Devey with 187 from 308, Gerry Hitchens with 96 from 160 and Hateley with 86 from 148. So Pongo is the one I suggest although there is a case to be made for all of these and others.

Of those I have seen how about Gray/Withe in the air, Little/Shaw/Saunders inside the box & Rioch for the free kicks?   

Edited by John

Luc Nilis, unfortunately the crowd only got to see it once but if you look at the finishes at PSV you know he was simply awesome

Funny how we was able to sign that kind of player, then, not exactly flushed was we?

....and if I remember correctly it was John Gregory, who was hardly the globe trotting international talent spotter.

Jesus, we have lowered the bar.

Edited by TRO

The goals scored vs games plated has Billy Walker with 244 goals from 531 appearances, Pongo with 167 from 226, Eric Houghton with 170 from 392, Harry Hampton with 242 from 373, John Devey with 187 from 308, Gerry Hitchens with 96 from 160 and Hateley with 86 from 148. So Pongo is the one I suggest although there is a case to be made for all of these and others.

Of those I have seen how about Gray/Withe in the air, Little/Shaw/Saunders inside the box & Rioch for the free kicks?   

Would love to have seen some of those really special players you mention in action John. Walker, Waring, Houghton, Hampton, Devey & Hitchens are all  Aston Villa stalwarts & true Villa legends. I would also have loved to have seen Trevor Ford too.

Edited by villa-revolution
  • Like 1

I'd go with Benteke as well. The goal v Chelsea when he roasted Cahill and made one of the best keepers in the work look stupid by stroking it in at his near post. That was the moment I thought he was the real deal.

Dwight Yorke was class. Loved his dinked penalties and had more skill than Benteke.

Reason I went for Benteke is that he's only 23 and should get better, Yorke was 26/27 when he had his best years with us.

The reason I wouldn't go for Benteke,is his form dip.

Great goal scorers and that's what we are talking here, don't go 12 games without scoring.

I too was blown away by some of his goal scoring exploits of last season and was sure that what I saw is not executed by average players. I was convinced he is/was exceptional.

However what makes great is consistency. I also believe despite great players experiencing peaks and troughs in form, their troughs are not too low.....some of Benteke's troughs in performance this season have been too low for me, to think of him in the same company as some of the previous strikers mentioned.....some of his actions have been simply worrying against the heights he hit last term.

As a finisher - Shaw, Saunders, Yorke for me in that order.

Dennis Mortimer was also a brilliant finisher IMO - the amount of 1 on 1's he had, particularly in 80/81, was mad, and he never seemed to not score!

Worst - Heskey, no question.

Â