Dark Souls II

Ginko

I beat the game today. It is supposed to be 60 hours but I did it in 24. There are minor things I avoided that could add maybe 3-4 more hours of gameplay, but I don't know where the number 60 came from. King Vendrick took be so many tries to beat. If you don't have 5 giant souls (only 4 available first play through) his health increases drastically. He isn't even a real boss but I needed his soul to make the best weapon in the game. My dmg is now 664 which is insane. The next highest weapons only gets into the mid to high 500s. S class strength scaling with 450 base dmg. I love it. Not only is it amazing, but it also break enemies' gear so hitting them will shatter gear. I did a lot of pvp with it and rarely lost. I am also using the mirror knight set which has the highest armor rating in the game so my character is such a tank. 

As for the ending, I was surprised mostly because I wasn't even aware it was the final boss. I don't understand the lore yet so I am confused. 

Edited by Czechlad

Cheers Si, yes the mouse makes the camera whizz round at a ridiculous speed.  This is what pisses me off about PC gaming, there are so many things that go wrong.  How do I set up my PS3 or PS4 controller, just plus them in with a USB?

Never forget, unless it`s opengl you can use things like sweetfx, which is extremely easy to use. The gist of it is: Search up sweetfx and whatever game, dl files and paste them in the directory of said game. It takes like 1 minute at the most

I'm just installing dark souls 1 now after foolishly asking my friend if I could borrow it.

Foolish because I know I don't have the stamina to stick with this game

Foolish because after spending hours watching him playing it before I know I will have to suffer blight town all on my own

Is it too much to ask that you just pay for a game, and it works without having to massively mess around with it?

This is the exact reason I wouldn't go for PC gaming.

That seems like a good rule to live by.  Steam is an absolute load of shit.  I've had two games from them now, AC4 and Dark Souls, and had massive problems with both.  No chance of getting a refund either.  Think I'll just get DSII on the Playstation and have done.  I've tried everything suggested above, and it's like playing a game from 15 years ago.

I'm around halfway through now, maybe slightly over halfway so thought I'd give a few thoughts. Firstly, I'd probably say the game is more difficult than DS1, but shares similarities with Demon's Souls in the fact that mobs can be off the scale difficult to handle but boss fights (so far) are extremely easy with a particular tactic. In general though it doesn't **** about, it is brutal.

The gameplay mechanics have been tinkered too, combat feels different to DS1, it's more technical, you'll be massively punished for not managing stamina; A.I won't let you backstab them anywhere near as much, but the upside of that is that when you do pull one off it feels incredibly satisfying and all the different weapon types in the game have different parry and backstab animations, it's great. The dex based twin blade combos just feel incredible to play with. On the downside the controls aren't as responsive, which can be frustrating as split seconds count, however, this could possibly be a design choice because the adaptability stat increases the speed in which you heal, roll and generally react to stuff. It's something I haven't really looked into yet.

On the difficulty, I've taken the game at an insanely slow pace, which I tend to do on first playthrough. Being a dex based class I've been able to scout out areas, take mobs out from far and play cautiously so I haven't suffered too much but I'd say that there are, for the first time, possibly unfair enemies in the game. I feel like they've almost intentionally created mobs to basically kill new players, but without spoiling things those who have got to a certain point probably know which ones i'm talking about. There's crazy amounts of traps and ambushes too, which feel a bit cruel - but on second playthrough you'll deal with it no problem. What they've certainly done is remove a lot of the ways to cheese through the game, like you could in DS1, so you won't get huge shortcuts to cut out chunks of the game or drake sword like items, which I think is a good move. 

That's the only slight negatives though because really, it's just brilliant and the game is ABSOLUTELY HUGE. The sheer amount of areas, bosses, items, covenants, secrets is almost overwhelming. There's so many cool additions, mainly how the A.I reacts to surroundings. Some enemies may be scared of fire if you light a torch but over time will get used to it and become braver and some enemies may change their programmed pathing to surprise attack you. 

The online play is something they've massively improved too. I urge everyone to play online - join covenants, invade others, summon others to help fight bosses, leave messages on the floor; do all of it it's ace. I spent a great deal of last night invading in the shaded forest (possibly the harshest thing to ever do to anyone) but couldn't resist. My favourite covenant so far is this crazy dwarf who has devoted his life to protecting a bell tower, by joining his covenant, you are sworn to protect some made up princess with a load of angry midgets. If any player enters the bell tower you and your army of midgets get to 'cut them to pieces' and get titanite chunks for your service.

I would say that so far it doesn't quite have the charm of DS1 but until I've played through the whole game I couldn't really confirm that. But it's just Dark Souls, more of it and that's what we wanted. So, back to Majula!

I am on my 2nd play through now. I made a sorcerer and all I have to say is wow they are op in all aspects of the game. If you get the moonlight greatsword, a sorcerer is by far the best character to make. I have long range attacks that do serious dmg and I have close range attacks with the greatsword. No one has magic resist so even when they have their shield up, a soul spear will normally take half their health. I also use a pyromancy glove just as a surprise factor which really works. A sorcerer is perfect for anyone knew to the souls games or anyone who doesn't think they can make it through the game. It's silly how good they are this time around.

Here is a tip: if you have binoculars, focus your vision on a far away enemy, then fire a soul arrow and it will hit them. 

Yeah Czechlad has a point, each game in the series is story driven in a way that it doesn't provide an obvious story, the story is pieced together through item descriptions, npc dialect and community discussion and although there are subtle links in each game they are ultimately all set in different worlds, so you wouldn't need to play DS1 to understand DS2. 

If you're playing on PS3, I'd actually recommend playing Demon's Souls first, it's not as good as DS1 or 2 but you can pick it up cheap on PSN and if you didn't like what the series offers, wouldn't lose out on much money, and it's still a great game which would introduce you to the mechanics of the other games. If you're on Xbox then it's up to you. As Czechlad says, DS2 has just come out so the online play is vibrant at the moment, so you might have more fun with that.

Just me, but I'd recommend using internet sources to help you out first time round; the wiki pages, forums all that stuff for specs, good items, boss tactics. But some people (masochists) like to go in completely blind, I also understand that too ;)

I purchased the guide despite being a dark souls veteran and I do not regret it at all. The guide made the game so much more fun. It allowed me to find hidden passageways, swords, and awesome gear. I see so many people online using these basic starter weapons, but then I come in wearing the full butterfly set with a moonlight greatsword.

Dark souls is bad on pc because the developers had never made a pc game before. I get that it is no excuse, but it is a reason. Dsfix takes care of it and you are set, if I remember correctly you just pasted it where the game files are and you now have res fix and fps unlocker. I also think the AA is totally bugged on dark souls, at least the ingame one unless they have patched it.

But that sense of satisfaction when you do, huh?

There are plenty of tips online if you're really struggling. Not necessarily walkthroughs, just hints on the combat mechanics and things you might not have thought about before.

Â