Dark Souls II

Ginko

Every review i've read so far says it's outstanding, which is no big surprise for those who've played through Dark Souls.

Annoyed that i'll have to wait a while for the PC version though.

It is so difficult but it is a lot of fun. The sense of accomplishment you get is outstanding. There are no suicide runs to get good gear this time around. You need to progress through the game regularly to get items and it is very very hard. Tons of surprise attacks to scare you and lots of secret areas in typical Dark souls fashion. I love it so far.

The system that Dark Souls uses strips the game back to real traditional action rpg mechanics. It's not a checkpoint system as such, you make the decision to light the bonfires; the tension and feeling of achievement when you finally reach one at the end of a dark crypt is not often matched these days. It's unique in the fact that it hasn't suffered from the modernisation of gaming, i.e holding your hand and enabling you to save at any point, bashing buttons to kill mindless, nondescript mobs. The game would lose everything it stands for if that were the case and be another generic action rpg. DS combat requires patience and skill, the respawning of mobs enables you to learn attack patterns and combat mechanics that'll put you in good stead for later progression. You'll literally notice yourself grow in skill as the hours pass. It also enables soul and gear farming, to really maximise and forge your character in completely your own way. In a nutshell, if old school action rpgs are your thing, it's absolutely anything but tedious and as about as entertaining as it gets.

Edited by nobler
  • Like 1

This game is so difficult. I've reached mid game as a strength build, but I have yet to find a decent armor set or weapon. I am using the great sword you find in the wharf, but I refuse to upgrade it because I don't like it. I need to get to the one vendor who sells the best great swords. Boss battles are so frustrating.

Strength builds in the previous games have generally required a bit more skill than sorcery/faith and dex builds due to the fact that two handing greatswords/axes is the most effective use of the weapon but they leave you incredibly vulnerable to being attacked. One handing large swords with a shield is generally a bad idea, as you'll be be slow and clumsy and drain stamina very quickly, so mastering rolling rather than blocking is overall better. It's still really new and the community is still getting to grips with where everything is, it'll take months before people discover covenant rewards, best armour for weight and mini quest lines to create the best weapons. My advice would be to not worry about beating the game first go with a particular spec, you'll probably end up frustrating yourself - play around with different builds, watch some progression vids and see what you get on best with. 

The Zweilander is not as op as it was last game. I rushed to that weapon and upgraded it fully but I still only for about 410 dmg. In last dark souls, the zweilander could break anyone's guard but this time around, that doesn't happen. I did some pvp and the player just put his shield up when I did 3 straight swings to his shield and he blocked them all. I then had no endurance so he stun locked me. 

Miracles and magic seem really good. I made my character a pyromancer, but my game glitched and the merchant no longer appears at majula. I can't buy or upgrade my pyromancy which makes all those stats I put in useless. 

I don't see how any game with as tedious a checkpoint system as this can be in any way entertaining.

My main concern would be that my crapness would make me die an awful lot, and I'd get bored very quickly.

Risso. One of the most annoying things about Namco's marketing ploy of this game is that they've really played on the fact that it's a hardcore game in a modern era, which is incredibly fashionable thing to a certain portion of gamers at the moment but please don't let put you off. The beauty of Dark Souls is that it's difficult but incredibly fair and the game is accessible to absolutely anyone. It's brutal at times but only if you're not willing to have the patience and willing to learn. 

Dark Souls wasn't a hard game, it honestly wasn't. I'm not someone who considers themselves good at games, I rarely play above normal difficultly in most games but It suited my style perfectly as I like to take games at a slow pace, explore, learn and never feel like a have to beat a game within a certain time frame. Dark Souls 2 offers an amazing amount of variety in a set difficulty game. If you wish, you can summon people to more or less kill bosses for you or if you wish to conquer the greatest challenge of your life (which every person can accomplish) you can join convents to make the game more difficult. It's very versatile but the genius of the game is that it's so perfectly tuned and the gameplay is so rewarding that graphics and all the other things just aren't really relevant.

If you have the patience and time, I'd say give it a go, you won't regret the experience :)

I don't mind hard games per se.  I mean, back in the day, I spent hour and hours and hours practising and wiping on BWL bosses in Warcraft.  What I absolutely hate though, is having to redo the same bit of gameplay over and over because of it.

My mate has bought this and come round to mine so we can have a marathon session on it, I'm not going to touch the pad I am merely the wing man to provide another set of eyes and moral support when needed.

I had **** hours of fun on the last one just watching my mate play it, there were times when the pair of us were jumping around like fools when we had beaten a solid boss for the first time

• Like 1

Describing Dark Souls as difficult is inaccurate, punishing is a better word. It punishes you for sloppy play or being inexperienced and forces you to learn from your mistakes. It takes patience, caution and thought. There will be some moments which feel a bit unfair, but the flipside is that when you finally succeed it's the most rewarding experience you can get from a game, in my opinion anyway.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

Good luck, though to be fair if you get stuck there is a wealth of youtube videos and other websites with walkthroughs, hints and tip to help you out.

Just take it slow, try to aggro enemies one by one as fighting groups is suicide, and watch your footing when you're on narrow walkways.

Also just be wary that most areas are accessible from the get go so if you find yourself dying in one area too much you might have gone there too early, so try somewhere else. For instance, as soon as you get to Firelink Shrine after the tutorial level, if you go into the ruins at the back there's a path that leads into a graveyard. I'd keep out of there until you were levelled up a bit.

Just finished work, no work tomorrow so I'm firing it up for the first time to play through the night. So excited :D

If anyone cares I'm gonna piece together the lore as people find out over the coming months and put it in the forum marked as spoilers. There's absolutely ridiculous pieces of info through the characters, really pumped for it :)

• Like 1

Hmmm, seems the hardest bit of the game is to actually get the bloody thing running properly.  Downloaded it via Steam, it wouldn't run.  So I googled it, and apparently there are compatibility issues with Windows 8, so I had to download some "Live" software.  Now it runs in a window, the graphics are shit and the controls don't work properly.

Hmmm, seems the hardest bit of the game is to actually get the bloody thing running properly.  Downloaded it via Steam, it wouldn't run.  So I googled it, and apparently there are compatibility issues with Windows 8, so I had to download some "Live" software.  Now it runs in a window, the graphics are shit and the controls don't work properly.

The PC version needs the DSFix to make it run properly (the original version ran in a lower resolution and it took a fan-made fix to sort it out)

Link here: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DSfix22.zip

Also, DON'T PLAY WITH MOUSE AND KEYBOARD! - Get your PS3 / XBox controller set up on the PC. It's pretty much unplayable with a mouse.

**EDIT** It looks absolutely gorgeous once the graphics are set correctly.

Edited by Designer1

Â