Arthur Scargill

PauloBarnesi

...So, yes, Churchill was a racist and Jew-hater but so was almost everyone else...

I find that extremely hard to believe.

1278280878_80.177.117.97.jpg

Battle-of-Cable-Street-plaque.jpg

the world was a very different place, but anybody that cared to stop and think could work out right and wrong whenever they were born

you don't need Star Trek, the Church of England or Bono to tell you people are people and there are good and bad of all shapes colours and creeds ready to **** you on the deal if you allow it

• Like 1

...So, yes, Churchill was a racist and Jew-hater but so was almost everyone else...

Here's Orwell on the subject: http://tinyurl.com/b2otvh

Very well written (obviously), though Orwell's observations don't seem to back up your theory. Yes there was/is a strong underlying feeling of nationalism/antisemitism/racism. Stronger than it is today perhaps. But he goes to great lengths to point out how this was often hidden from view, especially amongst the "intelligentsia" of which one assumes Churchill was a part of. Churchill's views, regardless of all else, still seem rather hardcore. He was, in my opinion, a word removed of a human being. **** glad he was on our side though eh.

I honestly believe that article could well have been written in 2014, replacing the Jew with the Muslim. Though he might need to take the word "negroes" out!

• Like 1

Here's Orwell on the subject: http://tinyurl.com/b2otvh

Very well written (obviously), though Orwell's observations don't seem to back up your theory. Yes there was/is a strong underlying feeling of nationalism/antisemitism/racism. Stronger than it is today perhaps. But he goes to great lengths to point out how this was often hidden from view, especially amongst the "intelligentsia" of which one assumes Churchill was a part of. Churchill's views, regardless of all else, still seem rather hardcore. He was, in my opinion, a word removed of a human being. **** glad he was on our side though eh.

I honestly believe that article could well have been written in 2014, replacing the Jew with the Muslim. Though he might need to take the word "negroes" out!

I suppose I would quote Orwell, saying how after the revelations of the holocaust, anti-Semitic postcards were withdrawn and they stopped telling anti-Semitic jokes in the music halls, which suggests that anti-Semitic jokes were common and were laughed at with relish by the audiences.

And I would reiterate his conclusion that racism is linked to nationalism, and as nationalism is very often cited as the cause of the 2 world wars, I would conclude that QED: Britain had a racist society back then.

It also seems likely that any nation that believes it has a moral right to have an empire, must believe that that moral right arises from racial superiority.

I would agree with your conclusion about the similarity of the situation of the Jew then and the Muslim now, and I have heard left-wing Jews say exactly that.

In context re: Churchill's opinions on Hitler in 1937.

Had Hitler died in '37 he would have been remembered by many people as a great statesman who restored the pride of a nation shattered by the Treaty of Versailles.

Â