Grant Holt

samjp26

I think Holt's a useful player to bring on when Benteke's tired but definitely not to play alongside him.

Based on what?  He was considered to be not fit or good enough at Wigan, so why is he useful to bring on for our top scorer?  How many shots on target has Holt had so far?  I could almost see the point if we were 2-0 up with 10 minutes left, but we're not very often in that position.

Yet when Bent was with us the consensus of opinion was that Bent's style was that of a dinosaur and he couldn't play with Benteke.

I don't know about everyone else, but the reason I wanted Bent gone wasn't he couldn't play with Benteke, but that we didn't create enough chances for him to justify £60k a week or whatever it was, and in the rest of the game he was a complete passenger as he is piss poor at his general all round play and offered nothing else.

Yet we've signed Holt.

Oh, sorry, I forgot we signed Holt on a permanent, £60k per week contract and is a goal poacher. It's not as if when he made his name in the premier league it was for being a hold up type striker who brought other players into the game, the complete opposite to Bent and much more suited to our current team.

I'm still reserving complete judgement on Holt, in his entire 100 minutes or so for his Villa career, I thought he's done a job when coming on as a sub and was poor when he started.

It's ridiculous to compare Holt to Bent, I don't even know why anyone would even think of comparing them.

I'm amazed people even think he did a job when coming on. Once on against Liverpool a point was all we were going to get and he was coming on against WBA when the score was 3-3. If we hadn't got that pen I fail to see how holt was going to make us more of an attacking threat.

• Like 1

The message that Holt's loan signing sends out is not very encouraging.

If you're well past your sell by date, not particularly fit and unable to get into your current lower league team, as long as you're cheap it doesn't matter …. you may be able to do a job for Villa.

Add that to …. if you're young and unproven and playing lower league football, we'll still take a chance on you as long as you're cheap … you may be able to do a job at Villa.

Added to …. If you're a quality proven talent who could do a very good job at Villa … we're not interested because you're not cheap enough.

It's a bit depressing even for an eternal optimist like me.

Has played in every game since signed.

**** joke.

Indeed.  He's rubbish.  He was too rubbish for Wigan, and you can see why.  He's just lucky he's got a thick mate in charge of a Premier League club.

• Like 1

Â