Worst ever Villa game

Spoony

One I've not seen yet.

29th December 2009

Aston Villa 0-1 Liverpool

Scorer: Torres 90+3'

Absolutely battered them, they didn't have a kick. One challenge from Sidwell deflected through past Dunne, all Torres needed in those days was a hint of a sniff. Goal.

A win would have put us level third above City and Spurs, as it was, we stayed sixth and Liverpool moved to within two points of us.

Feel sick thinking about it.

**** freezing too, really cold. Horrible night.

Worst game I've been to was Newcastle away under Kev Macdonald where we got battered 6-0 and Stephen Ireland made his debut. Carew skied a penalty at 0-0 and it was downhill from there. Horrible long long journey home, thinking what the hell has happened to Villa!

• Like 1

Worst game I've been to was Newcastle away under Kev Macdonald where we got battered 6-0 and Stephen Ireland made his debut. Carew skied a penalty at 0-0 and it was downhill from there. Horrible long long journey home, thinking what the hell has happened to Villa!

As a Villa fan living in the North East, that's up there with any loss to sha, for getting the piss taken out of me. One of my "mates" even managed to get in my back yard (ooherr!) and paint 6-0 on my shed door! Word removed!

• Like 1

Don't forget Simod Cup home defeat by Bradford . 0-5 it was and Ormo obviously caught GT's eye as we signed him soon after.

Attendance was about 7k too!!

I went to this, remember running round the holte end because it was that empty.

Attendance was 4,000

Lots of nominations.....but away to SHA when they beat us 3-0 was probably the one that sticks out. Going to the Sty is never pleasant but that was probably the worst. 

Home to Sheff Weds under McNeil when our relegation was confirmed also sticks out for the wrong reasons.

Losing to Coventry City at home for the first time in the clubs HISTORY with JG at the helm, that stands out for me.

Second would be the 8-0 drubbing to Chelsea.

Third is all the defeats by small heath.

Then 3-0 against Doncaster, losing twice to IFK and throwing ourselves out of Europe.....

Edited by spoonman

"I remember a horrid game in the 80's when i went to Nottingham to watch us get royally stuffed by Notts County, I think it was something like 5-2 if memory serves but  may be wrong on that... Horrid horrid day and very embarrassing at the time but we got revenge not long after and won 6-0 at theirs in a cup game with a certain David Geddis scoring about 4 goals". He got 3 that night and the 2-5 was in 83-4 danceoftheshamen. So it was their revenge for our 6-0 FA Cup win at Meadow Lane in 81-82 although they had also beat us 1-0 a week and a half after that 6-0 win to do the league double over us that season. We also lost 4-1 there in 82/3 so we were glad to see the back of them!

Bradford, Second half of second leg, Lambert lost the plot..

I think Man United this season was'nt much better though, could have beat them, they were awful, but just seemed to roll over to there (not so) greatness.

The Man United game was bad but nowhere near the worst ever. Not even the worst of the season.

Edited by Mantis

Bradford, Second half of second leg, Lambert lost the plot..

I think Man United this season was'nt much better though, could have beat them, they were awful, but just seemed to roll over to there (not so) greatness.

The Man United game was bad but nowhere near the worst ever. Not even the worst of the season.

Indeed. In fact, I personally didn't think we were a *that* bad. We had chances. Fulham was much worse and don't even get me started on Palace.

But they're just games of football with no great lasting impact in reality. They've come around every single season since I've been a fan. Bradford away was much worse than home too, we missed a boat load of chances in both but we were roundly and fairly beaten in the first leg.

Any game we lose with a whimper is a bad day. I think the 2000 cup final is a great shout though, it was gutting the way we capitulated that day. When it really mattered.

Carew skied a penalty at 0-0 and it was downhill from there.

According to my calculations, Carew's penalty is due to cross our solar system's outermost Lagrangian point sometime around Friday evening.

• Like 1

losing 6-0 to Nottingham Forest not long after winning the European Cup, Graham Turner was given the task of dismantling the side built by Ron Saunders by Doug Ellis another Austerity programme. Dennis mortimer played out on the wing, maybe to drive him out or piss him off.

That was the game the villa faithful never stopped singing before during and after every goal.....Brian Clough said he has never seen anything like it in football.

What a fall from grace that day , but conversely what a bunch of villa fans, to be proud of.

losing 0-2 to fulham in the fa cup when collymoore had his breakdown it was so boring i fell asleep at the back of the holte end and had to be woke up by the ground cleaners about 20mins after the game finished and i had travelled up from london as well!!

A couple of weeks after that fulham game was far more boring. Wimbledon away on a Sunday. On the tele anyway. Only 13 at the time so not even on the beer. Drew 0-0.

Was around the time that season started going tits up following shearer (the dirty word removed) Finishing Ugo's season. Went from first to finishing below west ham in 4 months I think.

Its hard to recall all of the shite games I have witnessed over the years.

The year we were relegaed there were some proper shite games, seem to remeber us being battered at home by Norwich that season and we also got thumped at Southampton and thumped by 6 at Forest.

The 3-0 home pasting by Wimbledon in 1990 is another game that sticks out, think we would have gone top that year with a win.

Arsenal, Man City and Leeds all putting 5 past us under Venglos are shit highlights from his time in charge.

Id then include 80% of all games we have been involved in in the past  two and a half years, too many to list

losing 0-2 to fulham in the fa cup when collymoore had his breakdown it was so boring i fell asleep at the back of the holte end and had to be woke up by the ground cleaners about 20mins after the game finished and i had travelled up from london as well!!

That was the first time my dad took me to Villa Park, probably quite an apt introduction to attending Villa matches. I remember blaming myself for our collapse in the second half of the season after that  :P 

Bolton under McLeish was pretty horrible as well, I was certain we were going down after that.

losing 6-0 to Nottingham Forest not long after winning the European Cup, Graham Turner was given the task of dismantling the side built by Ron Saunders by Doug Ellis another Austerity programme. Dennis mortimer played out on the wing, maybe to drive him out or piss him off.

That was the game the villa faithful never stopped singing before during and after every goal.....Brian Clough said he has never seen anything like it in football.

What a fall from grace that day , but conversely what a bunch of villa fans, to be proud of.

Paul Elliott was a complet disaster in defence that day IIRC,but we fans were unreal. I think the atmosphere & camaraderie amongst us all paradoxically made this a very enjoyable game despite the heavy loss. That's certainly the way I remember it any how.

"I remember a horrid game in the 80's when i went to Nottingham to watch us get royally stuffed by Notts County, I think it was something like 5-2 if memory serves but  may be wrong on that... Horrid horrid day and very embarrassing at the time but we got revenge not long after and won 6-0 at theirs in a cup game with a certain David Geddis scoring about 4 goals". He got 3 that night and the 2-5 was in 83-4 danceoftheshamen. So it was their revenge for our 6-0 FA Cup win at Meadow Lane in 81-82 although they had also beat us 1-0 a week and a half after that 6-0 win to do the league double over us that season. We also lost 4-1 there in 82/3 so we were glad to see the back of them!

Aha that sounds right, I think i went to all of those so got them mixed up somehow lol! Thanks for clarifying that John.... Horrid couple of games and the 0-1 at Villa Park against them was also really horrid... Defending our title and we lost to them on opening day... What a let down!

Paul Elliott was a complet disaster in defence that day IIRC,but we fans were unreal. I think the atmosphere & camaraderie amongst us all paradoxically made this a very enjoyable game despite the heavy loss. That's certainly the way I remember it any how.

I was there that day too remember it well.

Aha that sounds right, I think i went to all of those so got them mixed up somehow lol! Thanks for clarifying that John.... Horrid couple of games and the 0-1 at Villa Park against them was also really horrid... Defending our title and we lost to them on opening day... What a let down!

Plus the original Saturday date for the Notts County FA Cup game at Meadow Lane was called off due to bad weather & the infamous buffoons on the Pools Panel had the tie down as a home win. How wrong could you be? :P

Â