Worst ever Villa game

Spoony

Games I have attended: Doncaster away; Newcastle 6-0; Man City 4-0; Bradford home and away; Bolton at home under Mcleish (horrible atmosphere last 20 minutes); Wigan at home last season

Games I haven't attended: Stoke 2-2; the Wolves home game under Houllier; Mcleish playing 9 defenders at Spurs; Chelsea 7-1 and 8-0

3-0 to Birmingham - was just hell going into school the next day as a 12/13 year old, I can still remember the feeling of anger/dread/sheer hate. The 2-0 reverse wasn't much better either.

It was bad enough going to school the next morning in Sheffield with no blues fans around so I dread to think what it was like for most of you guys!

Yeah, that 2-2 against Stoke. Dreadful business that.

Though we came close to Champions league football again the following year, we were in it up until the last couple of games (getting spanked by Man City) and made it to Wembley twice. So to say we never recovered is just plain wrong.

Doncaster

Honourable mentions to the 8-0 vs Chelsea, 6-0 vs Newcastle, 2-0 vs Spurs under McLeish, 7-1 Chelsea under MON, 5-0 vs Liverpool under MON off the top of my head.

The 5-0 against Liverpool stands out for me too, especially as we'd had some great ding dong battles with them recently until then. They wiped the floor with us, it was so unexpected. I was so miserable that evening. Mothers Day if I recall?

I'd like to nominate losing to Oldham back in 92/93. The end of the dream. An abject performance permanently soiling the soul of a 10 year old child.

• Like 1

Doncaster

Honourable mentions to the 8-0 vs Chelsea, 6-0 vs Newcastle, 2-0 vs Spurs under McLeish, 7-1 Chelsea under MON, 5-0 vs Liverpool under MON off the top of my head.

The 5-0 against Liverpool stands out for me too, especially as we'd had some great ding dong battles with them recently until then. They wiped the floor with us, it was so unexpected. I was so miserable that evening. Mothers Day if I recall?

I can't remember, but I do remember that I watched it with a good mate of mine who is a Liverpool fan.

He didn't rub it in my face at all, and in fact the guy is so polite (especially for a football fan) that he was noticeably embarrassed by the scoreline (especially as I'd invited him round to my house to watch it)

I think he was nearly as gutted when they scored their 5th as I was :D 

wasnt that Cuellar and Davies t centre half that day,  was horrible game the day i realised Cuellar was shit and O'Neill hadnt a clue, Albert Riera ripped Reo-Coker apart from what I remember. why was he playing right back.. think Gerrard got a hat-trick to make it worse

Recently the 1-2 home loss to Bolton was horrific. Scoring and being so jubilant to despair only minutes later. The atmosphere was toxic as well for that last 25 minutes when we barely created anything and at the final whistle the hatred for McLeish was out of this world. It was probably the closest I've ever come to accepting that we were going to be relegated.

I remember this game very well...... as soon as Bolton went 2-1 up the whole crowd was singing "the villa is ours, the villa is ours, F*** of Mcleish, the villa is ours". Literally from every corner of the ground, normally that season was just the odd small group but everyone had had enough that day.

Loads of McLeish out banners suddenly appeared out of nowhere as well I noticed....was incredible!

As the Bolton fans sang "we are staying up" we were singing "we are going down"........ funny how the end of the season turned out though :P

Recently the 1-2 home loss to Bolton was horrific. Scoring and being so jubilant to despair only minutes later. The atmosphere was toxic as well for that last 25 minutes when we barely created anything and at the final whistle the hatred for McLeish was out of this world. It was probably the closest I've ever come to accepting that we were going to be relegated.

I remember this game very well...... as soon as Bolton went 2-1 up the whole crowd was singing "the villa is ours, the villa is ours, F*** of Mcleish, the villa is ours". Literally from every corner of the ground, normally that season was just the odd small group but everyone had had enough that day.

Loads of McLeish out banners suddenly appeared out of nowhere as well I noticed....was incredible!

As the Bolton fans sang "we are staying up" we were singing "we are going down"........ funny how the end of the season turned out though :P

Out of good fortune, and others being even shitter than us, rather than our own good play mind!

Out of good fortune, and others being even shitter than us, rather than our own good play mind!

West brom kept us up that season by scoring a last minute equalizer at the Reebok in the following game.

losing to bradford last year was a low point.

The game that hurt the most for me was losing to man utd in the league cup final all my uni mates were all utd fans and we were all at the pub watching it i remember all there smug faces when they won. was one of very few villa fans in the pub needless to say i was calling a lot of people glory hunting clearings in the woods

The Blues match with Enkleman in goal will always go down in history as the worst ever... As soon as the final whistle went, the phone rang and it was the unclean elements of my mums side of the family gloating...

Funnily enough, they didnt seem to think it was quite so funny when I returned the favour when they got relegated by Newcastle a few years later...
They give it all but don't like it back one bit...

• Like 1

Â