Nahki Wells

samjp26

How tragic is this link

Lambert has already wasted 2m here 3m there on lower league players. If he signs another I can't defend him, particularly in a position that is completely not needed. It's not about writing a player off before he plays for us, it's about having ******* standards and learning from our mistakes over the young and hungry policy.

I will wait until the end of January to properly pass judgement but if we spend money on risks like this instead of reliable AM then I am done with Lambert.

We are able to recoup a decent chunk of the money spent on the likes of Sylla, Bowery, Luna if / when they are sold on though.  I believe numbers of player took priority over quality in those windows.

• Like 1

"We don't need him at the moment" - remind me, how is our attack doing? Benteke - hasn't scored in 4 months. Kozak - out for the season. Weimann - in horrible form, 1 goal this season. Helenius - clearly out of favour and not cutting it, only 3 sub appearances in the league. Bowery - yet to score or show even the slightest threat for Villa.

But that's not even the point. The point is if we don't sign him, somebody else will. We will miss out. We've been linked with him before we were even drawn against Bradford in the cup last season. Lambert clearly sees something in him and wants him for the long term.

And that's not even the main point. The REAL point is of course we are not going to sign Wells if it means we can't afford to buy our other main targets! Lambert has come out and said "we need experience" and "we need a number 10". Those are clearly the priority. If we sign Wells it will be AS WELL AS our other targets.

And the reason why the strikers isn't scoring regularily is because the midfield is a total mess. Get some quality in midfield, try keeping possession and the goals will come.

All IMO of course...

I totally agree that we need more quality in midfield. That is the priority. But our strikers are really struggling for form as well. The few chances that are created are consistently squandered by Benteke and Weimann - neither have scored for 4 months! Kozak now injured and Helenius has only had 1 successful sub cameo.

My point is more that Lambert has clearly been after him for a while and Wells is now playing so well that if we don't make a move this window we will probably miss out on him. And, of course, that he won't be the only signing we make.

Im sure on current form Wells would be a huge improvement on Weimann, not sure if Lambert would pick him before Andi thou.

The worry is that if we do have a limited transfer & wage budget should we spend it on striker #9 (counting Bent and Delfouneso) or is it better spent in other areas like midfield?

I'm pretty sure an extra £10k/week is not going to stretch us when we have the bomb squad earning the best part of £300k/week, and his transfer fee will not be that high (if it is we won't pay it).

He is a cheap, longer term investment that Lambert seems to have been after for over a year. I really can't see Lerner having any problem funding it on top of any other business we might do.

Helenius was under a million. I know we have limited funding, but that is absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

It is if that money was used to pay a better quality players wages.

I presume Helenius will be on tiny wages too.

I try not to presume anything i have no idea what hes on.

When you add up the cost of KEA Tonev Bennett Luna and all the other shit Lambert has spunked millions on then in the "grand scheme of things" and bearing in mind the limited funds it's a monumental **** up.

Exactly. You can't keep pointing to an individual and saying 'oh well, he was cheap'

It's all adding up.

• Like 1

When you add up the cost of KEA Tonev Bennett Luna and all the other shit Lambert has spunked millions on then in the "grand scheme of things" and bearing in mind the limited funds it's a monumental **** up.

They were bought for small amounts, paid 'little' in PL terms and will be sold of a small amount.

You make it sound like all the money has gone.

The £1.2m that Helenius cost could have contributed £10K a week towards a better player's wages for two years.  We absolutely, positively don't need another lower league gamble.  All the ones we've bought so far are shit.

• Like 1

The £1.2m that Helenius cost could have contributed £10K a week towards a better player's wages for two years. We absolutely, positively don't need another lower league gamble. All the ones we've bought so far are shit.

Agreed

Exactly. You can't keep pointing to an individual and saying 'oh well, he was cheap'

It's all adding up.

Totally agree with this. Its all added up to 40 million of dross at the moment cause Lambert cant even get Benteke firing. Another 'investment' is not really what we need in this window. And I dont really agree we will make money on Luna, Tonev, KEA to name a few. Consentrate on getting some f******* proven players in:lambert................

It's all adding up.

Totally agree with this. Its all added up to 40 million of dross at the moment cause Lambert cant even get Benteke firing. Another 'investment' is not really what we need in this window. And I dont really agree we will make money on Luna, Tonev, KEA to name a few. Consentrate on getting some f******* proven players in:lambert................

Agreed, lambert even said himself that he was pl experience, did he not? I couldn't think of many proven premier league players who would come here

The £1.2m that Helenius cost could have contributed £10K a week towards a better player's wages for two years. We absolutely, positively don't need another lower league gamble. All the ones we've bought so far are shit.

Agreed
Lowton isn’t ‘shit’ perfectly decent RB.

All the rest bar Westwood have been sub par for me

just think - if we sell CB we will have paid for nearly the whole squad.

Who would come in for him in the form he's in at the minute?

I think that's all that matters now. Forget what they can do. We might sell them for more. Exciting times to be a fan.

It's been this way for years

Who would come in for him in the form he's in at the minute?

Buy low sell high. This is precisely when you buy him.