Im about to fit a venetian blind in the kitchen!

daz316

Im not good with DIY and the butt of jokes with my family. However, needs must and I've decided I'm going to do this myself. I've just been up to ask to borrow dads drill and he's laughed me off asking if I know what size holes are required, what depth, might there be metal under the tile?

Im nervous but carrying on anyway, but I don't know how to check these things. How do I know how to deep and what diameter to drill, and I'll be drilling through tile, any tips?

I have googled it and I think I understand some of it but I need some re-assurance this will go okay!!!!

1) if you're drilling in to a tile tap a screw into the tile with a hammer gently, this will make a small indent so that the drill doesn't skid around all over the place.

2) Just drill roughly the length of the plastic plug

3) The plug should have the hole it is designed for moulded into it (iirc red will be about 6mmand brown about 9mmm)

4) Are you drilling upwards in the window opening? If so you're going to be drilling in to the lintle which will be very hard. You need a good drill and drill bit and plenty of elbow grease to make the desired hole.

1) if you're drilling in to a tile tap a screw into the tile with a hammer gently, this will make a small indent so that the drill doesn't skid around all over the place.

2) Just drill roughly the length of the plastic plug

3) The plug should have the hole it is designed for moulded into it (iirc red will be about 6mmand brown about 9mmm)

4) Are you drilling upwards in the window opening? If so you're going to be drilling in to the lintle which will be very hard. You need a good drill and drill bit and plenty of elbow grease to make the desired hole.

As said, if you have the screws and rawl plugs, then the drill needs to be long enough so that the hole it makes is deep enough for the rawl plug to go in fully into the hole. The width of the drill needs to be the same as the total thickness of plastic rawl plug (ignoring any little tabs on it.

If you don't have the screws etc, get some, and they need to be man enough to support the blinds between them. Get advice if you're unsure.

If you're drilling brick, (underneath the tiles) then you need masonry drill bits, these have a red tip and look a bit different to normal drill bits. You need a masonry drill for the tile anyway. And put a piece of masking tape over the point you are drilling on the tile.

It's really important to measure up exactly where the holes need to be - if you drill in the wrong places then it's not going to end well. But it's simple. Either use the blinds to mark the holes (like a template) or get help. Once you've marked it. check it until you're 100% certain before you go on to drilling. It'll save any heartache.

WHen fitting the blinds get someone to hold then while you screw the screws in.

It's actually simple enough, you can do it.

The above assumes electric drill. Hand drill not likely to be man enough.

Oh and check it's solid brick, not plasterboard (hollow-ish tapping sound) - if it's plasterboard, the drilling is easy, but you need special screws

Or go with - No More Nails

Absolutely...its worshipped like a God in our house!.

If you do decide to persist in tackling the dark side, then the only thing I do is to stick some tape on the exact point you intend to drill. Not guaranteed, but might prevent the tile from splitting.

Guys thanks for the feedback. on hold until tomorrow. I have a day off so am going to attempt it then. The screw and hammer into the tile first is a great shout. Will update tomorrow!!

On a serious note daz, you should try and use two different drill bits if you have tile to get through. A glass or tile drill bit if you can (a wood bit probs will also work), then a masonry bit once you're through the tile. Have the drill on a smooth setting for the tile, then a hammer setting for the masonry.

Also, old blokes working in local DIY shops usually genuienly love you asking questions that let them give the benefit of their knowledge to some kid. The plumbers supply shop down the road from me loved my little visits when I decided to have a bash at doing a bathroom and a kitchen!

If they're porcelain tiles, use a diamond drill bit.  You can always use a bit of masking tape to stop the bit slipping on the tile.  Mark on the tape with a pencil where you need to drill.  I'm shit at DIY, but even I could manage that job.

Or if the blinds aren't that heavy, you could just use No More Nails or Sticks like Sh!t, although that's a ladyboy's way out.

Â