3rd Round Attendances

Butterfingers

We did well to get over 24,000 yesterday.

I know some fans can't be bothered with the FA Cup but to all those Clubs that field weakened teams I say shame on you.

The FA Cup has a very special place in our history & I always endearingly refer to it as our Cup.

It will never lose its magic for me. Never.

• Like 1

I was reading elsewhere that fans can't really have it both ways to moan when their team puts in a reserve side when at least up to the 6th round, FA cup crowds are nearly always lower than a league match. First home cup games in both competitions should be free for season ticket holders.

Edited by The Fun Factory

So at 24,000 people, an average of £15 a ticket, that's £360,000 the club earned yesterday, £180,000 after Sheffield have there half, £180,000 + income from food and program sales etc, call it £200,000, which just about covers Fabian delphs wages apparently

Staying in the Prem is much more important to any club than winning the FA Cup and I dont care what any fan or pundit says.

Wigan won the FA Cup and I bet we wont be seeing them in the premier league for a long time.

If there is no money in it then most clubs aren't going to be interested and I dont blame them. Unless it changes so the winner/runner up gets a Champions League spot then it wont be taken seriously.

It seems the fans up & down the country agree entirely with Mr Lambert-The FA Cup is a distraction.

Attendances were way, way down on normal league gates

To quote the most annoying chant in the history of football:

"Empty seats m'lord"

Indeed

I heard that, based on Mr Lambert's brilliant analysis of the situation, and the fact that a paltry 350,000 people watched Saturday's cup games, the FA have decided to abolish the competition.

Apparently they thanked Mr Lambert for drawing their attention to a truth that had evaded them for the past 142 years.

Edited by briny_ear

Staying in the Prem is much more important to any club than winning the FA Cup and I dont care what any fan or pundit says.

Wigan won the FA Cup and I bet we wont be seeing them in the premier league for a long time.

If there is no money in it then most clubs aren't going to be interested and I dont blame them. Unless it changes so the winner/runner up gets a Champions League spot then it wont be taken seriously.

Even Dave "talk bollocks" Whelan said he would trade in the FA Cup for not being relegated last season. Its a nice addition to staying in the league for sure. But you cannot risk your main source of income for it.

I think the writing was on the wall way before Mr Lamberts comments Brinny.

Man United not even bothering to enter back in 2000 was probably the catalyst for the modern day FA cup.

Yes. I think that was the beginning of it's devaluation. It is basically just a glorified League Cup now. It only still holds any meaning for the non-League clubs as it provides them with their potential day in the sun and the financial windfall from that.

Edited by Isa

Following the demise of a certain ITK poster, I have been appointed as Mr Lambert's new unofficial spokesperson on VT.

I can reveal that, building on the great PR triumph of his comments on the FA Cup, Mr Lambert will next week reveal that "to be frank, Managers could do with out the Premier League". 

"It is a real burden on managers to have to try to win matches week in, week out, and failure to do so can sometimes result in the sack. If football managers were relieved of the need to play league games, they would be a much happier bunch. Teams should be assessed on how much effort they put in (I can't fault my lads on that point) and their readiness to 'go again' after their most recent defeat."

The third round is always a ball ache. Most clubs have just had a congested December fixture list to deal with; and most people have just had the expense of the festive period. I can see why people don't fancy paying yet more money on an expensive day out when they've just splashed out on what is, for many, an expensive month.

Add in the fact that some PL clubs care more about a competition that they've no chance of winning, so they rest players merely to help them survive, and it's easy to see why the third round is no longer a crowd puller.

I try and go to the cup games more so than league games.....unfortunately (well quite fortunate actually) couldn't make it yesterday!

Went to both the league cup games and they were some of the lowest attendances I've seen at VP.

Disappointed that we got knocked out and PL doesn't give a poop as it's something I feel we always have an outside chance of winning....like Wigan last year etc.

Â