Match Thread - PLEASE DO NOT TALK ABOUT STREAMS IN THIS THREAD

chappy

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert says clubs could do without FA Cup

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert believes the majority of top-flight clubs would rather not have the distraction of the FA Cup.

Speaking before Saturday's third-round game with Sheffield United, Lambert was asked whether the FA Cup was something Premier League clubs could do without.

"If they were being honest, they probably would do," he told BBC WM.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez said he understood the comments, but believes the FA Cup is "unique."

"Every manager knows what they have got in their squad, but it's a unique competition in it's unpredictability with the philosophy that anyone is entitled to chase the dream," added Martinez, who takes Everton to QPR in the third round this weekend.

The Spaniard won the competition with Wigan Athletic in May, only to be relegated just a few days later, but he insisted that "a good run in the cup is always positive".

Lambert's side are six points above the Premier League relegation zone and he says that it is "survival" - rather than the visit of the League One Blades - that is his priority.

"If you can get through, then absolutely I want to get through," he added. "I don't want to not get through, but your main one is the league.

"It is realistic. That is the nature of it. If anyone says any differently, then I am not so sure they will be telling the truth because the Premier League is the most vital thing that anyone wants to get into and we are no different.

"We don't have a massive squad and points are really important."

BBC

Interesting comments. Expect a seriously weakened team tomorrow...

I don't think we should lambast him for those comments. He has got his priorities right with one eye on our next set of fixtures coming up that could see us drop into trouble.

Even with a reshuffle we should have enough to win the game.

• Like 1

I’ve got  bad feeling about this one, I will be 100% behind them on sat but I think PLs comments will transmit to the players a little bit and they will be a bit flat.

Of course the opposite could be true, and if PL plays fringe players they could be bang up for proving a point.

I’m going 1-1 draw! Replay a week on Wednesday (which means Arsenal games gets moved to Sunday at 12pm L rubbish time!)

Mate of mine just posted this.

Sheff Utd to beat a weakened Villa, Forest to beat a weakened West Ham & QPR to beat a weakened Everton.

120/1.

_________________Steer_______________

__Lowton__Donacien____Clark___Luna____

_________________Sylla________________

__________Gardner_____Johnson_________

___Albrighton_________________Tonev____

_______________Helenius_______________

Hope janoi plays, we need to ease him in to the first team in a game like this with no points on offer just to see how he handles himself and the occassion. Be nice if he can surprise a few people and not look out of place seeing as our CB position is cursed and has been for ages, be nice to play a natural CB there instead of Rightbacks and defensive midfielders.

Gonna go for a tight game finishing up 2-0 to the Villa

Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert says clubs could do without FA Cup

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert believes the majority of top-flight clubs would rather not have the distraction of the FA Cup.

Speaking before Saturday's third-round game with Sheffield United, Lambert was asked whether the FA Cup was something Premier League clubs could do without.

"If they were being honest, they probably would do," he told BBC WM.

Everton manager Roberto Martinez said he understood the comments, but believes the FA Cup is "unique."

"Every manager knows what they have got in their squad, but it's a unique competition in it's unpredictability with the philosophy that anyone is entitled to chase the dream," added Martinez, who takes Everton to QPR in the third round this weekend.

The Spaniard won the competition with Wigan Athletic in May, only to be relegated just a few days later, but he insisted that "a good run in the cup is always positive".

Lambert's side are six points above the Premier League relegation zone and he says that it is "survival" - rather than the visit of the League One Blades - that is his priority.

"If you can get through, then absolutely I want to get through," he added. "I don't want to not get through, but your main one is the league.

"It is realistic. That is the nature of it. If anyone says any differently, then I am not so sure they will be telling the truth because the Premier League is the most vital thing that anyone wants to get into and we are no different.

"We don't have a massive squad and points are really important."

BBC

Interesting comments. Expect a seriously weakened team tomorrow...

That Rory Delap can throw a ball can't he!

• Like 2

For me I'd play a mixed team of 1st teamers and fringe players/youth

..............Ned Steer

Lowton.Donacien.Clark.Luna

.......Gardner.Sylla.KEA

...Bowery.Helenius.Tonev

Put some more experience on the bench just in case!

Lineup.jpg

Who's Clarke?

Dammit, I knew I should've proof read before posting.

It's a pet hate of mine calling him Clarke too.  I've failed you all and will hang my head in shame.

:(  :unsure:  :blush:

No worries. We all make mistakes, we are not infullible every time.

As for the game- its going to be wet, its going to be wild, its going to be empty, and Villa will win 3-1.

• Like 1