The Wage Bill Issue ...

Ulver

Wage bill, last 5 years accounts (2012-2008)

£69,609,000 -16.5% £83,395,000 4.3% £79,974,000 13.3% £70,577,000 39.9% £50,447,000

You may or may not be concerned that this post is virtually unreadable on a smartphone. It might help to indicate which year each figure relates to.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, I remember all that 'wait a few years and we'll be well placed to take advantage' bollocks from the Ellis era

BREAD TODAY, JAM TOMORROW

We were in such a good position to kick on in the early 90s, all it would have taken was a bit of foresight and investment and we could easily have risen with the big clubs.

Even after missing the boat we were still around the mark in the late 90s and early 2000s but we just pissed it away by not striking while the iron was hot.

If we'd gotten in, invested well, and built a global brand, like Man U, Liverpool and Arsenal did as the Premier League started and football became all about money, we could be a big club now.

That said we could also be Leeds Utd I guess.

I wasn't old enough to follow football over the other side of the world in the early 90s, but it feels to me like we missed the boat big time. Now with the absolute horseshit that is FFP and post Abramovich and Abu Dhabi injecting silly money into football, we're under a big glass ceiling and our best hope is probably to be like Everton, constantly competitive but never actually winning anything or playing in the CL.

• Like 1

Thunder-power your right..

but lets be honest about this, competition effectively ended once Abramovic et al entered the game. Further more, the financially doped 4 clubs are the only ones able to win the league and this cannot change in my lifetime unless some other multi billionaire throws an immoral amount of money at it. Aside from Liverpool, Spurs and Everton, the remaining 13 clubs to more or less of a degree, are effectively fighting not to go down (to be fair even Everton are only there due to loan deals that skew the numbers).

If we'd gotten in, invested well, and built a global brand,

Simple as that. No idea why they didn't think of doing it.

Not simple at all.

But some ambition and investment in the 90s could have made a lot of difference.

If Randy Lerner had come along a decade earlier who knows where we might be now.

Not simple at all.

But some ambition and investment in the 90s could have made a lot of difference.

If Randy Lerner had come along a decade earlier who knows where we might be now.

Kind of pointless entertaining it, though isn't it?

Not simple at all.

Kind of pointless entertaining it, though isn't it?

Pointless AND depressing

I've seen that point made before and its stupid. We didn't know what was happening in terms of finances and how it would effect the future of the club. Now all the info is out then yes its clear he was idiotic allowing spending to spiral out of control.

Some did, and it was questioned at the time.

Interesting that those who feel qualified to condemn with hindsight actually wouldn't, by their own admission, have any clue as to how to manage the financial end of any football club.

Several people questioned it at the time, but were told by that idiot Krulak not to worry our pretty little heads about it, and that "spending is where we planned it to be" and that the "5 year plan is still on schedule".  Then when it was clear that spending was wildly out of control, he disappeared into the night without a word, shamelessly taking the "Proud History, Bright Future" bollocks with him.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Q. Is there another club in the Premier League right now that has a lower wage bill to turnover ratio than ours ? (well apart from the mega rich ones with unbelievable income revenues of course)

I think our last published turnover income was 75/80m, this will now be boosted by a further 20m ish from the new Sky deal (i believe) and some hopeful improvements that the club will have made on the commercial side to earn their salaries. So lets say it'll be near 100m next time around.

As we all know, our current 25 man squad wage bill must be tiny these days, especially given that our ITK man claims a lot of Lambert's signings are earning between 5-15k a week. Lets estimate the current squad wages, i've also included our players that are out on loan

Guzan 30k

Steer 5k

Given 25k (not sure what percentage of his wage we're paying so i'm guessing 25k is half)

Donacien 1k

Hutton 30k

Baker 10k

Clark 15k

Bennett 15k

Vlaar 25k

Okore 20k

Luna 15k

Lowton 15k

Stevens 5k

N'Zogbia 40k

Bacuna 15k

El Ahmadi 15k

Albrighton 15k

Westwood 15k

Delph 30k

Herd 5k

Sylla 10k

Gardner 5k

Tonev 10k

Carruthers 2k

Johnson 2k

Ireland 30k (not sure what percentage of his wage we're paying so i'm guessing 30k is half)

Benteke 30k

Agbonlahor 50k

Weimann 25k

Kozak 20k

Bowery 2k

Delfouneso 5k (not idea what Blackpool are contributing)

Burke 1k

Helenius 10K

Bent 30k (not sure what percentage of his wage we're paying so i'm guessing 30k is half)

So that's around 578,000 per week, or around 30 million a year. obviously that's all based on guess work but even so it can't be that far off. 

In summation, i think we can finally put this 'we need to get our wage bill in order' bollocks as an excuse for not spending to bed once and for all.

UTV

How about this, a new way to pay your players. A sliding scale on a weekly basis.

If you are in the match day team you receive say, 30k plus bonuses or reductions (point etc, reductions for lost games)

If your picked for the match day bench 10k

If your not picked for either a stable wage of 5k per squad member

Let's say Benteke plays a game for Villa and we win. He would get 30k plus match win bonus 10k. If we lose, then minus 10k he gets only 20k.

This would be same for all in the starting line up.

Lets say Beteke is on the bench and Weimann starts in. Weimann would get 30 k and Benteke only 10k. Seems fair enough to me.

I'm not sure how this would work in reality but I'm fed up with players ripping the club off getting big wages and not giving a xxxx.

This would be a you play, you perform, you win, you get rewarded.

If your injured you get the standard 5k regardless of who you are.

If you don't perform then your easy to replace as you are only on 5k a week.

Q. Is there another club in the Premier League right now that has a lower wage bill to turnover ratio than ours ? (well apart from the mega rich ones with unbelievable income revenues of course)

I think our last published turnover income was 75/80m, this will now be boosted by a further 20m ish from the new Sky deal (i believe) and some hopeful improvements that the club will have made on the commercial side to earn their salaries. So lets say it'll be near 100m next time around.

As we all know, our current 25 man squad wage bill must be tiny these days, especially given that our ITK man claims a lot of Lambert's signings are earning between 5-15k a week. Lets estimate the current squad wages, i've also included our players that are out on loan

Guzan 30k

Steer 5k

Given 25k (not sure what percentage of his wage we're paying so i'm guessing 25k is half)

Donacien 1k

Hutton 30k

Baker 10k

Clark 15k

Bennett 15k

Vlaar 25k

Okore 20k

Luna 15k

Lowton 15k

Stevens 5k

N'Zogbia 40k

Bacuna 15k

El Ahmadi 15k

Albrighton 15k

Westwood 15k

Delph 30k

Herd 5k

Sylla 10k

Gardner 5k

Tonev 10k

Carruthers 2k

Johnson 2k

Ireland 30k (not sure what percentage of his wage we're paying so i'm guessing 30k is half)

Benteke 30k

Agbonlahor 50k

Weimann 25k

Kozak 20k

Bowery 2k

Burke 1k

Helenius 10K

Bent 30k (not sure what percentage of his wage we're paying so i'm guessing 30k is half)

So that's around 578,000 per week, or around 30 million a year. obviously that's all based on guess work but even so it can't be that far off. 

In summation, i think we can finally put this 'we need to get our wage bill in order' bollocks as an excuse for not spending to bed once and for all.

UTV

How about this, a new way to pay your players. A sliding scale on a weekly basis.

If you are in the match day team you receive say, 30k plus bonuses or reductions (point etc, reductions for lost games)

Let's say Benteke plays a game for Villa and we win. He would get 30k plus match win bonus 10k. If we lose, then minus 10k he gets only 20k.

Lets say Beteke is on the bench and Weimann starts in. Weimann would get 30 k and Benteke only 10k. Seems fair enough to me.

I'm not sure how this would work in reality but I'm fed up with players ripping the club off getting big wages and not giving a xxxx.

Would be great, if you could get all the clubs to agree to it. Until that happens we're competing with other clubs and if we want decent players we can't have a system like that. We struggle enough to attract anyone as it is!

Guzan 30k

Steer 5k

Donacien 1k

Hutton 30k

Baker 10k

Clark 15k

Bennett 15k

Vlaar 25k

Okore 20k

Luna 15k

Lowton 15k

Stevens 5k

N'Zogbia 40k

Bacuna 15k

El Ahmadi 15k

Albrighton 15k

Westwood 15k

Delph 30k

Herd 5k

Sylla 10k

Gardner 5k

Tonev 10k

Carruthers 2k

Johnson 2k

Benteke 30k

Agbonlahor 50k

Weimann 25k

Kozak 20k

Bowery 2k

Burke 1k

Helenius 10K

UTV

Would be great, if you could get all the clubs to agree to it. Until that happens we're competing with other clubs and if we want decent players we can't have a system like that. We struggle enough to attract anyone as it is!

Yes I know what you mean, maybe the win bonuses could be higher, meaning that a full season 38 appearances and a lot of wins means you hit mega bucks.

Maybe this system would mean we would have a better all round squad and not some Spanish cheap left back for example. Meaning more points.....

Â