The Wage Bill Issue ...

Ulver

But HH keeps telling us that wages are an issue? - Who do you believe? :P

I think it's painfully obvious that wages are an issue :-/ In more ways than one.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/apr/18/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

According to this article, our wage bill last season was 70m.....can't remember who we got rid of in the summer but I still think it's probably 60m. 7th Highest in the league.

Turnover 80m (Dropped from 92m the year before!!) which is 9th Highest in league.

One "positive" is that we made an 18m loss last year according to this, year before was a 54m loss so that's a huge improvement and means should make a profit this season.

Also another "guess" at the players wages, going by this article: http://www.tsmplug.com/football/aston-villa-players-salaries/

Given (2016) = 50k

Hutton (2015) = 30k

N'Zogbia (2016) = 65k

Ireland (2014) = 70k

Bent (2015) = 65k

Total = 14.5m per year

As for the "useful" ones:

Agbonlahor (2015) = 45k

Weimann (2015) = 15k

Benteke (2017) = 60k

I think Weimann's signed a new deal since that article though.

Benteke isn't on anything like 60k a week and Weimann maybe on 15k now but not before

Whatever the overall position, there was/is still around 13m a year being wasted on 5 players not even contributing to the team. That's a £10m player on 40k a week right there.

Edited by wazzap24

Everyone seems to keep saying "Benteke not on 60k a week".... what's he on then?

He was on 20k before his new deal when he handed in a transfer request, then suddenly withdrew it when he got a higher pay EXTENDED contract. Personally I think he's on near to 60k as he could be on that at Arsenal or whoever just warming the bench.

We can pay those kind of wages I believe, just not to a whole team like we were before. Just the odd 2 or 3 "Star performers". There's at least 5 articles saying he on 60k and one says "at least double" from 20k.... nothing says otherwise, other than loads of people on here who seem to think we wouldn't do it.

But HH keeps telling us that wages are an issue? - Who do you believe? :P

I think it's painfully obvious that wages are an issue :-/ In more ways than one.

Surely the new BT TV deal should mean that's no longer the case.

If you finish bottom this season you still get more money than Man U got for finishing top last season.

Everyone seems to keep saying "Benteke not on 60k a week".... what's he on then?

He was on 20k before his new deal when he handed in a transfer request,

I don't think he was, that's the thing. Going by our other signings, he was probably on £10k or less, which would've been a HUGE pay increase from the Belgian league

He's most likely on £30k absolute tops now, but I'd say closer to £25k tbh

Edited by P3te

Based on wages being supposedly way less than people think for newer players, I wouldn't be surprised if we were something along the lines of this:

Guzan 20k
Steer 5k
Given 55k

Donacien 1k
Hutton 30k
Baker 10k
Clark 15k
Bennett 10k
Vlaar 15k
Okore 15k
Luna 10k
Lowton 10k
Stevens 5k

N'Zogbia 50k
Bacuna 7.5k
El Ahmadi 10k
Albrighton 15k
Westwood 12k
Delph 35k
Herd 3k
Sylla 5k
Gardner 5k
Tonev 5k
Carruthers 2k
Johnson 2k
Ireland 30k (sticking with the approximation of half from the original post, but he'll be gone in the summer anyway)

Benteke 25k
Agbonlahor 55k
Weimann 15k
Kozak 10k
Bowery 2k
Delfouneso 15k (a remnant of the big spending days)
Burke 1k
Helenius 5K
Bent 0k (I think Fulham are paying his full wage)

That's a total of £510.5k per week, or £26.5m a year, which will could be reduced further by getting rid of Hutton, Given, Bent, Nzogbia, Stevens, Delfouneso and Ireland in the summer, leaving it at £16.9m or, to give it it's full technical term, sweet fanny adams
  • Like 1

Based on wages being supposedly way less than people think for newer players, I wouldn't be surprised if we were something along the lines of this:

Guzan 20k

Steer 5k

Given 55k

Donacien 1k

Hutton 30k

Baker 10k

Clark 15k

Bennett 10k

Vlaar 15k

Okore 15k

Luna 10k

Lowton 10k

Stevens 5k

N'Zogbia 50k

Bacuna 7.5k

El Ahmadi 10k

Albrighton 15k

Westwood 12k

Delph 35k

Herd 3k

Sylla 5k

Gardner 5k

Tonev 5k

Carruthers 2k

Johnson 2k

Ireland 30k (sticking with the approximation of half from the original post, but he'll be gone in the summer anyway)

Benteke 25k

Agbonlahor 55k

Weimann 15k

Kozak 10k

Bowery 2k

Delfouneso 15k (a remnant of the big spending days)

Burke 1k

Helenius 5K

Bent 0k (I think Fulham are paying his full wage)

That's a total of £510.5k per week, or £26.5m a year, which will could be reduced further by getting rid of Hutton, Given, Bent, Nzogbia, Stevens, Delfouneso and Ireland in the summer, leaving it at £16.9m or, to give it it's full technical term, sweet fanny adams

**** mental for a premier league club with our gates, sponsor etc.

And with the new TV money kicking in.

Yikes.

Yeah it's insane. Obviously those numbers are guesses but if they're close it'd mean that in the summer we could be looking at a playing staff wage bill of around 10% of income. I can't imagine our other staff would be more that the players so that's mean 80% profit which should, in theory, make is an incredibly tempting proposition for buyers

You could buy the club for £200m, put an extra £50m a season up for wages and signings combined and have your money made back in 4 years

I hope we dont attract that kind of buyer!

A prudent one who won't financially run us into the ground but will still ensure £50m a year for player acquisition? Are you mental?

Yep crazy post.

I don't get why after our 2 worst ever premiership seasons people worry about the next owner. We've hit rock bottom with this idiot in charge.

A prudent one who won't financially run us into the ground but will still ensure £50m a year for player acquisition? Are you mental?

Yep crazy post.

I don't get why after our 2 worst ever premiership seasons people worry about the next owner. We've hit rock bottom with this idiot in charge.

Happy New Year to you BJ10, I jope that 2014 brings you a more positively balanced mood.

Just out of interest, at the height of Mr.Lerner's 'idiocy' , while he was handing O'Neill obscene amounts of money to buy largely substandard players, did you think that he was an 'idiot' at the time?

Yep crazy post.

Happy New Year to you BJ10, I jope that 2014 brings you a more positively balanced mood.

Just out of interest, at the height of Mr.Lerner's 'idiocy' , while he was handing O'Neill obscene amounts of money to buy largely substandard players, did you think that he was an 'idiot' at the time?

"We have a five year PLAN"

With that (and not speaking for BJ10) I presumed the club did have a plan and didn't think this was just shitting in buckets.

I've seen that point made before and its stupid. We didn't know what was happening in terms of finances and how it would effect the future of the club. Now all the info is out then yes its clear he was idiotic allowing spending to spiral out of control.

Â